Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds, Levels and Study.

Options
  • 18-12-2010 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have a pretty fair idea what I want to do after school, I am currently in sixth year. I'd like to get into Film production but defintley want some back ups so need to do well in most subjects.
    Thats where my question comes in. At the moment I am doing all higher level subjects and havent failed a test, but I know as it comes closer to the leaving, I just wont have time to study them all together. So Im wondering are grinds really helpful? Because I might get grinds in Maths, and then I also might drop to ordinary Irish.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I did grinds for years but was quite specific about what I did. I don't anymore due to the little people in my life. Some students thought I had a magic wand though. I don't. I knew they same as their teacher did, except had less knowledge about them which can be perceived as either good or bad. I find grinds help students who need things explained, otherwise not hugely beneficial as you can do most of the rest yourself really. Hope that helps. Also, if you're going to spend money make sure it's someone who knows what you need to know, not someone chancing their arm, preferably someone with experience correcting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

I did grinds for years but was quite specific about what I did. I don't anymore due to the little people in my life. Some students thought I had a magic wand though. I don't. I knew they same as their teacher did, except had less knowledge about them which can be perceived as either good or bad. I find grinds help students who need things explained, otherwise not hugely beneficial as you can do most of the rest yourself really. Hope that helps. Also, if you're going to spend money make sure it's someone who knows what you need to know, not someone chancing their arm, preferably someone with experience correcting etc.

Like my teacher is terrible. Im doing higher maths and he has no idea what hes doing, we spend about ten minutes out of 35 correcting his mistakes and I do have to argue with him about the way he is doing maths which he gets wrong half the time. Its very stressful and I feel I need someone to point the direction in what to do and then I'll be able to gather the information my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Have you checked out the free grinds from the Engineer's Society or something like that? I know they were doing online tutorials, I'm sure someone knows what they're about here, you could do a quick search maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I have a pretty fair idea what I want to do after school, I am currently in sixth year. I'd like to get into Film production but defintley want some back ups so need to do well in most subjects.
    Thats where my question comes in. At the moment I am doing all higher level subjects and havent failed a test, but I know as it comes closer to the leaving, I just wont have time to study them all together. So Im wondering are grinds really helpful? Because I might get grinds in Maths, and then I also might drop to ordinary Irish.

What do you all think?

Why won't you have time to study them all? Going to a grind won't change that. If you decide you don't have time to study maths, you still have to spend an hour at a maths grind every week and time to travel there and back, which is time you could spend studying it yourself.

Grinds are not magic, I've given grinds to plenty of students and many were under the impression that because they turned up for the grind that the information would magically seep into their heads and stay there. If you understand all the material and have no major problems with any of it, I'd suggest that putting together a study plan for yourself now might serve you better in getting organised for study. Also if you are doing part-time work or engaged in extra curricular activities or hobbies you might want to cut back on the time given to them for a while in the next few months to fit in everything else. Don't cut back completely, you need some sort of outlet completely unrelated to the LC as a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Unfortunately its perceived that grinds are some form of panacea. They are not!

Tot up the points for your Christmas exams and see how you're getting on.

I found maths particularly difficult, because like you the teacher was rubbish. I took the difficult decision of approaching the principal and telling her that. I moved to a smaller class with a capable teacher and got a B2 in it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

Unfortunately its perceived that grinds are some form of panacea. They are not!

Tot up the points for your Christmas exams and see how you're getting on.

I found maths particularly difficult, because like you the teacher was rubbish. I took the difficult decision of approaching the principal and telling her that. I moved to a smaller class with a capable teacher and got a B2 in it!

This teacher is the only one teaching honours maths in the whole school :(

Advertisement