Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a support act

Options
  • 18-12-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am 14 and I am a singer/songwriter and Justin Bieber is coming to Dublin how do I apply to be the support act for him. YouTube.com/gavincollmusic is my channel.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

dunno...but wishing you the best!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Moved from Celebs & Showbiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Djgav911 wrote: »
    I am 14 and I am a singer/songwriter and Justin Bieber is coming to Dublin how do I apply to be the support act for him. YouTube.com/gavincollmusic is my channel.

Usually the support act on major tours (like the Bieber tour) will be paying to appear on the tour. Their record label will pay this tour support and recoup it from the act (meaning: the cost of getting on the support slot for the tour will actually be paid by the band before they ever see any money from the record label). But enough about the corrupt business for now :D

There is absolutely no harm in asking and don't let anyone tell you you're wasting your time (you probably are but it's your life and your career so sod them). Look up who the promoter for the concert is (probably MCD or similar). Put together a demo CD and a press kit. Contact the promoter and tell them you want to be considered for support slots. Tell them why you'd be a good fit for the Bieber concert - don't tell them how good you are but tell them how the audience will be interested in your music too.

Be prepared for endless 'thanks but no thanks' and don't let it grind you down.

The challenge you'll have, aged 14, is that most concerts/gigs are over-18s and in bars. So think about finding other places to play your music and get some experience. Beware of so-called promoters running shows when what is actually happening is that they will expect you to sell tickets to the show. In reality they will make a lot of money and you'll get to play a gig somewhere in town in the afternoon. All that you'll have will be a bit of live experience and they'll have made money from your effort. Better to record a couple of songs , put them on a CD and sell it to friends and family. They'll spend money for your CD and you will get to keep the money and invest in another set of recordings or instruments.

Bide your time, keep writing songs, keep practicing. Get experience playing live and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jamjamjim

Speaking of which, does nobody run an open mic night in Dublin, Cork, Galway etc for underage musicians in somewhere that doesn't sell beer. Like a cafe for example. Might be worth looking into and would be great advertisement for cafe's that open late

Advertisement