Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deferred payrise??

Options
  • 17-12-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi

I applied for another job in my workplace which is at a higher pay grade.
    I have had an interview, and been offered the job. Woohoo.

Thing is, here is how the transition to the higher pay goes:
    1. 6 months probation in the new job at current salary
    2. If pass the probation, woohoo, I keep the new job BUT still no payrise.
    3. At the next annual review round, I get the payrise.
    Reviews are in March. Probation will finish in June.
    Payrise will not occur therefore until March 2012, despite getting the job in December 2010.

I smell bull****, but they insist this is how it works, even for directors, partners etc.

I haven't accepted yet. My plan is to insist on a 3 month probation period, getting me past the probation perios just before the review round.
    Don't know if they will go for it though.

I would be grateful for your thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Bob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Network with other employees: what can they tell you about how other people have been treated.

Also, what's the job-market like - what could you get in another company?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

I know the situation, I can bring three experiences. Two are personal, the other is what happened to an ex-colleague.

1) I was in a role, and I was been offered a promotion to a management level. Same "terms & conditions" as you got. I accepted their rules, I started working in the new role from next day and, one year later, I quit because I found a better position elsewhere. Result: I worked as a manager for a year, with the same pay of the people I managed.
    2) Similar situation, I got promoted to a management level, this time with better condition, i.e. pay rise after 3 months of probation period. Perfect because the date was corresponding with my annual review. The day came and I got "sorry, pay freeze for everybody from this month"; ironic, because everyone else had their review the month before and they got their increase. Again, working as a manager without any reward.
    3) My ex-colleague got the same offer in another company. Probation period, let's see how you do it, then we'll talk about it, etc. His reply, that I still believe is very rude, was "For the first day I'll work as a manager, I want to be paid as a manager. If you'll pay me as a programmer, I work as a programmer". He didn't get the position immediately, but, after a few weeks, they offered it to him again, with full benefits.

Of course, not all companies are the same, nor are personal situations, but, unfortunately, I haven't been very lucky when I tried to "play nice".

I just remembered something that reminds me of this kind of situations:http://www.vendorclientvideo.com/

The woman who's getting the haircut is so similar, with her "It's just a test"!

Advertisement