Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 9 and very happy

Options
  • 17-12-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd just post in here seeing as I've lurked a bit on this forum and it helped a good bit.

I've smoked for the last 3 years about, going from socially smoking to about 20/30 a day for the last few months. I'm a DJ, so I'm out about 3/4 nights a week, so ended up smoking a weekends worth of cigarettes basically every night. Finished a packet of cigarettes last wednesday, and while smoking the last one I just decided it was going to be my last cigarette.

It just happened because I was thinking about spending €10+ a day on them, always smelling like smoke, but mostly I felt that I didn't feel as happy/healthy as I was before I smoked, and that really bothered me. I'm happy to say that I was definitely right. Even though I'm only off over a week, I already feel better, don't feel that kind of dull grey feeling all the time.

I'll admit I've had two slips, the night I quit I drunkenly took a drag from a mate's smoke, and the same happened the next Friday, but in the last week I haven't had anything, so I'm happy.

The first few days were bad, I've been chewing gum like mad (I know Alan Carr says not to, but it helps), but I've been able to fight the cravings pretty well I think. At this stage they're going away, and I'm happy to be around other smokers.

Just thought I'd say that, and hope it helps someone else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Well done man, keep it up and spread the good word! No bigger achievement than giving up those stinking things!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Go for it elect. Smoking is insane,take your sanity back.
    Take in that good fresh air into your lungs.
    17 days my self. it gets easier. Keep up your guard.
    Know that stopping smoking is the best path you can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Keep it OP. I'm off 6 weeks today. Went cold turkey myself.

Cravings only last 15 minutes at a time so if you can keep yourself busy in that time then you'll be grand. They'll just cease then once all the nicotine leaves your body.

Going out and having a few drinks is a huge huge test and it'd be so so easy to give in and smoke.

I gave up on the Monday and I'd usually go out and have drinks on a Friday so I cut down for the first 2 weeks. I only allowed myself bottles instead of pints.
    Gradually went back onto pints and it was grand.

When you are out, just think of the horrible cold weather we've got outside at the moment. That in itself should deter you a bit. Would you rather be warm inside the pub with your mates or outside freezing your ass off?

The most important thing is to identify your triggers and change your routine.

When I woke up, I'd go straight outside for a cigarette. I changed my morning routine around somewhat by hopping straight into the shower and then having breakfast.

It's important to change your routine around a bit so you don't fall into a lull and find yourself going back into old habits.

If you feel the cravings are going OP, then I'd recommend you ease yourself off the gum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Thanks for the support guys!

Just wondering, if you go off them long enough, does it get to a stage where if you have a cigarette you don't enjoy it, like no-one enjoys their first smoke, or will they always be dangerous? I'd imagine that after being off for a few months, a cigarette would just give you a massive unpleasant headrush and taste bad, and wouldn't make you want to have another one...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

being their before,unpleasant headrush and taste bad, plus guilt,a awful feeling of being tricked by the addiction.
    One smoke starts the craving all over again,within an hour
    I had another smoke, a very slippery slope,
    This time my motto is NOT ONE. So when a craving comes on
    This is what I say to myself.
    be mindfull, do not allow yourself to fantasize even for a few seconds.
    18 days free of smoke now.
    Stay strong elect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Why are you thinking about having another cig? Does it matter? Are you concerned you will eventually have a smoke on a night out or something?

In my opinion unless you are very strong, if you smoke as much as one cig you will be back on them fulltime within a month!

Eventually people will consider you a non smoker and your own brain will agree! stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Just wondering, if you go off them long enough, does it get to a stage where if you have a cigarette you don't enjoy it, ...

No
    will they always be dangerous?...

Yes
    I'd imagine that after being off for a few months, a cigarette would just give you a massive unpleasant headrush and taste bad, and wouldn't make you want to have another one...

No, it makes you become an addict again.

Nicotine is a drug like any other, give an alcoholic a whiskey after being off drink and regardless of how it tastes they will want more. Remember it isn't the cig itself that is addictive its the drug in it therefore one puff can lead you back to full time smoking, best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Ok, thanks!

No, I wasn't thinking of having one, still haven't had one and it feels a lot better than not smoking!

Noticing the strangest thing...Money stays in my wallet for more than a day, I'll have to get used to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Ok, thanks!

No, I wasn't thinking of having one, still haven't had one and it feels a lot better than not smoking!

Noticing the strangest thing...Money stays in my wallet for more than a day, I'll have to get used to that!

Well Done, keep it up. My quit date is 1/1/ 11. tried once before i know how hard it is,

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

I gave them up, thinking I could only last a few days. I did it day by day and I'm still going, 10 years later. Keep it up, it's well worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement