Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS box as a DVD player replacement.

Options
  • 17-12-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

The DVD player is bust and I've been thinking about replacing it with a home made NAS box with a DVD R/W was well. Not to to confused with a HTPC as this will be used a lot more as a NAS box. The main reason for the having it play DVDs is that our router is behind the TV and it would be ideal to have this NAS box sit on the DVD player shelf.

My main concerns are:
    • Intel atom boards and decoding DVD's/Blu-ray
    • Power supply
    Has anyone got any real experience with building small NAS boxes ? (i.e., not an old rig turned into a NAS box).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Just and update on this: This build will probably die an early death due to me not being able to find a HD capture card for < €200. Would have liked the ability to record stuff from the UPC+ box, like you would do with a DVD recorder.

Advertisement