Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

check your tax credits for 2011 are not set at zero

Options
  • 17-12-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all

I do the payroll where I work and received in the tax credit certs for 2011. Was not going to open them (as not running the payroll for January) until we came back after the holidays. Luckily I did open them and sure enough my own one was showing zero credits for the year. Got on the blower to revenue and this is apparently caused by part of my income coming from social welfare. Who in their wisdom had electronically sent my income details on to revenue twice. As this is done electronically NO ONE is checking the numbers :eek: The revenue person I spoke to said this is probably going to effect thousands of people, don't let it be you

So just to let ye know - check with your payroll people and then get on to revenue if yours is coming up as zero, they can give you provisional figures. But they will only do this for people who check with them :mad:

Be quick cause their phone lines are mad busy already

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 HarvestAnne

To be fair, an employer cannot know what is going on between an individual and Revenue - they dont have access to that personal and confidential information. It could be perfectly correct for some people to have zero tax credits for many reasons so an employer would not necessarily suspect that anything is out of place with a zero tax credit.

It is the reponsibility of every individual to ensure that they are receiving the correct tax credits - and to be honest, lots of people are not claiming all they should be! This is the year to ensure you're getting everything possible in respect of 2010 because some tax credits will not be available in future e.g. charges paid for bin collections, water rates etc. Any payments made in 2011 will not qualify for tax credits but you can claim for payment made for such charges paid for in 2010 and for the past 4 years. Do it now - before it's too late!

Advertisement