Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee late at night = wake earlier next morning?

Options
  • 17-12-2010 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

Have you ever noticed, or does it happen to you, that when you have unusual amounts of coffee late at night that it might keep you up, but it will also have you up and about better the next morning? I've noticed this many times now so it definitely happens to me.

I think it must be because the caffeine is still in your system, and while it was time to sleep according to your circadian rhythm it was just a light sleep and you're ready again to wake up after not too much sleep. Of course don't expect to have the same energy later in the day or the following night....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Coffee keeps you up at night ? **** thats why i cant sleep for the past 5 years :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Quite the opposite for me. Same if I eat fast food. It makes it harder for me to even wake up the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

chin_grin wrote: »

This link has nothing to do with the topic. I do not know what you mean by that smiley, but I suspect it is some kind of retarded way of saying "hurr, that shows all you coffee lovers out there that it's not so good". Please go away and don't ever post to me again, I already stated that the next night you would be severely tired. I wasted a lot of my time trying to get to the part where it talked about waking the next morning, only to find it wasn't there and it was all just a waste of my time and about everything I already knew about coffee with an idiot "slant" to it.
    bonerm wrote: »
    Quite the opposite for me. Same if I eat fast food. It makes it harder for me to even wake up the next day.

Are you sure? Try it again with coffee. On a normal day when you are not already tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i dont know really. it doesnt really help me stay awake that well and i am always up early. sometimes i am up even up before i am awake. :D

• Advertisement

This link has nothing to do with the topic. I do not know what you mean by that smiley, but I suspect it is some kind of retarded way of saying "hurr, that shows all you coffee lovers out there that it's not so good". Please go away and don't ever post to me again, I already stated that the next night you would be severely tired. I wasted a lot of my time trying to get to the part where it talked about waking the next morning, only to find it wasn't there and it was all just a waste of my time.

You. Me. Handbags at dawn.

It was relevant to the thread, in my opinion!

And if I have to stick my willy in a piping hot cup of coffee to prove how much I love it..........well I'm not going to do that. But I did once eat a spoonfull of instant (now THAT was a cool story!).

But yeah. Coffee and staying up. Cool story bro.

Also you sound a bit on edge..............might be the caffeine.

<insert a smiley face that doesn't p!ss off SuperInfinity>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I get the same with the gargle, if I have maybe 4 or 5 pints I tend to wake up very early and struggle to get back to sleep!

This is why I like to have a skinful on most trips to the boozer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

This link has nothing to do with the topic. I do not know what you mean by that smiley, but I suspect it is some kind of retarded way of saying "hurr, that shows all you coffee lovers out there that it's not so good". Please go away and don't ever post to me again, I already stated that the next night you would be severely tired. I wasted a lot of my time trying to get to the part where it talked about waking the next morning, only to find it wasn't there and it was all just a waste of my time and about everything I already knew about coffee with an idiot "slant" to it.
    COFFEE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

Pace2008 wrote: »
    COFFEE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

TASTY BUSINESS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

chin_grin wrote: »
    TASTY BUSINESS!
    BASTY TUSINESS

• Advertisement

FatherLen wrote: »
    BASTY TUSINESS

TOFFEE BASTY CUSINESS .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

What I heard a few months back is that coffee doesn't actually "keep" you awake but helps you wake up. So in this instance is you were drinking a fair amount at night then it will still be in your system in the morning so yeah you would wake up better.

But I don't know if what I heard is actual fact.

But I don't know if what I heard is actual fact.

Hutz: Well, Your Honor. We've plenty of hearsay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

The other day I drank 2 litres of coke 2 or 3 hours before going to bed and the next morning I felt absoutely drained, even after about 10 hours of sleep. Although it was possibly the sugar doing that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The other day I drank 2 litres of coke 2 or 3 hours before going to bed and the next morning I felt absoutely drained, even after about 10 hours of sleep. Although it was possibly the sugar doing that

I would say that was the sugar alright. Coke has a LOT of calories and a comparatively small amount of caffeine.

In fact, Coke and other soft drinks are often what very fat people use to maintain their fat!!! Seriously, they get totally addicted to them and they're one of the easiest ways for them to get their calorie fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

I would say that was the sugar alright. Coke has a LOT of calories and a comparatively small amount of caffeine.

Yeah coke wouldn't be a patch on coffee when it comes to caffeine. I felt mildly hungover when I woke up after drinking the coke and I have heard other people say they felt hungover after a night out where they only drank coke/ lucozade. I think the sugar puts them on a mild high and leaves them leeched of all energy the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Yeah coke wouldn't be a patch on coffee when it comes to caffeine. I felt mildly hungover when I woke up after drinking the coke and I have heard other people say they felt hungover after a night out where they only drank coke/ lucozade. I think the sugar puts them on a mild high and leaves them leeched of all energy the next day.

Coke only has around 30 odd miligrams of caffeine, so yeah, pretty **** for caffeine. Even "Red Bull" has a pathetic 80mg in a can. And to think some people out there believe there is "7 cups of coffee" in a red bull:rolleyes: Drip/filter coffee on average is 120-150mg for a cup. I drink on average 3 of these a day. Literally can't get out of bed without caffeine now. Not great, but at least coffee offers "protection" from some diseases and whatnot. Make sure you aren't reaching LD_50 levels, and I am sure you will not give yourself convulsions/death. Coffee is actually really good for you imo. Synthetic Redbull/coke ain't by any stretch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine.

Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deficiency:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My mrs has the same effect on me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lorcan78

How much coffee are we talking about ? American Indians would drink a lot of water the night before a battle so that they would be woken up nice and early by their own bladders so i guess coffee or any type of fluids would have the same affect ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

kfallon wrote: »
    I get the same with the gargle, if I have maybe 4 or 5 pints I tend to wake up very early and struggle to get back to sleep!

This is why I like to have a skinful on most trips to the boozer :D
    Yeah that always happens to me too. When I was younger I could sleep off my hangover but over the past few years I wake up early and have to suffer.

Advertisement