Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you detached yourseld from the real world..?

Options
  • 17-12-2010 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi Guys,

So over the past 2-3 years i've steadily been moving away from being a sociable guy to more of a recluse with the help of my computer and teh internet.

I'm finding it increasincly difficult to get motivated to go and meet people these days..and when I do meet normal people I find it next to impossible to have a regular conversation.. I either try to get all technical or else be to pedantic about what we are discussing.

Has anybody else got similar experience and what are you doing to fight it.. are there any steps that I should take to rehabilitate myself back in to the real world?

**While this is kind of a personal issue for me I feel it probably is for a lot of others also and so might get discussed better here than in the Personal Issues forum. As always, mods feel free to move if you think otherwise.**

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Shut down the computer.
    Plug it out.

I think I'll join you tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 juniper2008

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Shut down the computer.
    Plug it out.

I think I'll join you tbh.

Thanks but it's kind of difficult because my work is with computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yea, that makes it harder. Do you need to get online outside of office hours?
    There is an add on for firefox/crome where you can set daily time limits for websites you use so you get booted off.

Obviously you can just load up a different browser but it might be a deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

delete system 32

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Yea, that makes it harder. Do you need to get online outside of office hours?
    There is an add on for firefox/crome where you can set daily time limits for websites you use so you get booted off.

Obviously you can just load up a different browser but it might be a deterrent.

i'd just end up throwin on safari on the phone. damn smartphones.
    sher feck it, The internet is my friend:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

delete system 32

Dont have a system 32 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

take a look at the athletics and fitness forums. i started using boards just over a year ago and spent ages on it, but reading some of those threads got me out a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

their is a real world outside teh interwebz?? U gotta be messing? Real people? Nooooo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yes, yes I have.

I find myself chatting up girls and thinking to myself, xHamster would be a lot less hassle than this :p

Seriously though, I think it depends how much money you have and how much disposable time you have.

If I was rich, I think the Internet would make me go out more.

Sites like Entertainment.ie for instance, they have at least three things advertised each night that I would do if I had the money.

So many concerts, plays, comedy gigs etc etc, that if I had the money, I'd attend them all.

If you're broke though, or restricted to being stuck in for family or health reasons, then the Internet can easily become your life, especially with all the free on-demand TV etc.

In essence, the Internet is what you make of it or can make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yes, yes I have.

I find myself chatting up girls and thinking to myself, xHamster would be a lot less hassle than this :p

Seriously though, I think it depends how much money you have and how much disposable time you have.

Sites like Entertainment.ie for instance, they have at least three things advertised each night that I would do if I had the money.

So many concerts, plays, comedy gigs etc etc, that if I had the money, I'd attend them all.

If you're broke though, or restricted to being stuck in for family or health reasons, then the Internet can easily become your life, especially with all the free on-demand TV etc.

I say, I didn't know you are poor. How frightfully edge-y.

I am, myself, 1/4 internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Outlaw Pete outlined the solution for me,not that I had a serious issue with the internet,but I found myself on it out of complete lack of nothing else to do.

Since I have got a job well,I have more income to do things out of the house. Even just getting to town every day to do messages,or go to lunch with mates etc

Also helped my computer broke and I just decided not to fix it for a good while. I didnt miss it as much as I would have thought,ended up reading a lot instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rathcop

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yes, yes I have.

I think if my space button worked my reply would NOT look like this ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Balfie wrote: »
    their is a real world outside teh interwebz?? U gotta be messing? Real people? Nooooo?

these.. games.. r startin to look like real people :eek: no they've surpassed that now.

am i somewhat sorta semi detached or what

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

rathcop wrote: »
    I think if my space button worked my reply would NOT look like this ^^^
    Space button? :pac:

Spacebar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Hi Guys,

So over the past 2-3 years i've steadily been moving away from being a sociable guy to more of a recluse with the help of my computer and teh internet.

I'm finding it increasincly difficult to get motivated to go and meet people these days..and when I do meet normal people I find it next to impossible to have a regular conversation.. I either try to get all technical or else be to pedantic about what we are discussing.

Has anybody else got similar experience and what are you doing to fight it.. are there any steps that I should take to rehabilitate myself back in to the real world?

**While this is kind of a personal issue for me I feel it probably is for a lot of others also and so might get discussed better here than in the Personal Issues forum. As always, mods feel free to move if you think otherwise.**

Thanks.

Set in a futuristic world where humans live in isolation and interact through surrogate robots, a cop (Willis) is forced to leave his home for the first time in years in order to investigate the murders of others' surrogates.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Similar myself, not that Im unsociable, I just prefer the comfort of my sofa as opposed to someone elses, let them call in if they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I like my virtual friends :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

**** your horse I've got an internet inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I am the same aswell. Didn't get a course this year and spend a lot of time inside. In the course I was in up to June this year, talking to many people, it was good.

I think it can be a bit too handy getting the dole everyweek for doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hi Guys,

Thanks.

Sounds like you're just like everybody else.
    Tough luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Reality is over-rated anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Who needs real people? The internet will never stop loving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Same here can't be arsed going out much now spend most of my time at home its just as much fun nowadays.Was always around the 9 stone mark and could never put weight on as much as i wanted to,but in 9 months i've gone up to 11st 7 i look and feel alot better for it but now need to try keep it around that and not put anymore on :D

Advertisement