Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timberline bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't understand the appeal of tandems unless one of the riders has an impairment that stops them riding solo. I'd be more inclined to buy two regular bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't understand the appeal of tandems unless one of the riders has an impairment that stops them riding solo.

Slowness and laziness are the two most common.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Lumen wrote: »
    Slowness and laziness are the two most common.

So rather than having a slow, lazy person on another bike, it is somehow more beneficial to carry them on your bike!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

The appeal of a tandem
    No.1 appeal, the novelty factor.

I'm hoping to go faster downhill with 2 'engines'.

I paddle k2 kayak, have surfed and run many rivers in a topo-duo(2man whitewater boat) up to grade 4, that is heaps of fun and a different challenge so think I could have the same fun on a bike.

Why don't I buy 2 separate bikes?
    We already have 4 bikes between us, 4.5 if you count my unicycle.

Both of us work in the same place so it's kinda like carpooling and much easier than giving someone a spin on a crossbar:D

Thanks for the help guys, but some of ye seem a bit serious about it all, cycling has a fun side, act like a child sometimes it will make you smile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I've never ridden a tandem and wouldn't claim to know all that much about tandems. However, the componentry on the timberline (7 speed tourney and all that) doesn't seem that great. Couldn't really say how good the frame is but it's not that pretty (no offence) and considering how tandems tend to be more expensive than normal bikes it seems a little bit too cheap to expect any great quality.

Dawes do a galaxy twin which seems very nice (saw it in cyclesuperstore) but pretty sure it's a fair ways out of your budget. There was a recumbent tandem on I think gumtree (could have been donedeal or something else) recently, looked pretty cool.

Sorry I don't have any more well-informed advice. And you're right, cycling is supposed to be fun, tandems are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Thanks Tonyandthewhale, the dawes could be a better bet alright.
    I'm not in any rush to get one, doesn't have to be under the tree on the 25th or anything. I'll keep searching around the web, might find an older one on sale once the 2011 models are all the rage.

thanks guys for the links/help/advice.

Advertisement