Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone App Development

Options
  • 16-12-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi Im looking into getting involved in iPhone App Development. I have a degree in Software Engineering and a masters in Information and Network Security but I just can't get a job. So i decided that I might as well learn how to design iPhone Apps. From my understanding you need a mac and an iPhone. I don't have either so before i decide to invest in them I was wondering if someone could answer a few of my questions. Firstly is it all coded in C? Is it tricky to pick up? And what about xcode? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Apps are built using Objective-C and a framework called Cocoa Touch.

If you know a C-based language, you should be able to get enough of an overview of the differences in Objective-C from the primer. The full language introduction is here, and there are further reading materials that go into all the detail you could ever possibly want about it.

You do need a Mac to develop on using Xcode. I'm not sure about how third party suites work, but you may need a Mac with those to sign your apps to submit them to the App Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

You'll need a Mac of some sort. I'm sure it's theoretically possible to develop on other platforms, but you'll be making things needlessly hard on yourself, and you'll need a Mac to submit your app anyway.

XCode is free, as is the iPhone SDK. Both are hefty downloads (XCode is actually on your OS install DVD, though), so find a fast broadband connection. There is a registration fee of US$99/year for developers; but you don't need to register until you go to sell.

Objective-C is much closer to standard C than C++ is, so if you know C, you may actually prefer ObjC; on the other hand, if you know C++ well, you may hate ObjC, in which case, look into "Objective-C++". Basically, it's a few extra keywords, and a different method syntax: you write "[ myObject methodWithParameter:value andOtherParameter:other ]" where you'd say "myObject.method( value, other )" in C++ or Java.

The language isn't the barrier to new learners, though; the Cocoa framework itself is. The way it does some stuff can seem counter-intuitive at first, but it is consistent within its own rules most of the time, so once you're over the first week or two, and have learned the particular design patterns, it gets easier.

Sample code isn't bad; documentation is good, but coverage isn't as good as it could be still. If you're coming from Windows, Apple's docs aren't as good; if you're coming from any open-source project, you'll think you've gone to heaven.

Developer support isn't bad either - if you have an incident, they will sort you out, or at least tell you definitively whether what you're trying is possible or not (you only get a limited number of calls a year, though, and depending on your plan that limit may be "zero").

By the way, developers get no discounts on hardware, and no early access to devices. If a new iPhone comes out, you must purchase your iPhone in the queue with the first-day gombeens.

Go to http://developer.apple.com and click around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

You could always buy a Mac Mini for development purposes. That would be your main initial cost. You can then write code, develop and test with the simulator.

When you think you're close to finishing an app, you only then have to invest in an iPod Touch and the $99 development license. At that point you'll be able to test on an actual device. The license is for a year, so I wouldn't invest in it until you're a little up to speed with the SDK and Objective-C, to get the most out of the year.

Firstly go to iTunes U and check out the Stanford course on iPhone development (Taught by Paul Hegarty).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd look at appcelerator first as it certainly looks easier than cocoa unless you want to do something really requiring native performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

I'd look at appcelerator first as it certainly looks easier than cocoa unless you want to do something really requiring native performance.

Thank you for this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Have you ever tried writing an app in appcelerator? I have. It's a pig. Steer clear.

You can always use VirtualBox to install OSX instead of forking out for a Mac. That's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Have you ever tried writing an app in appcelerator? I have. It's a pig. Steer clear.

You can always use VirtualBox to install OSX instead of forking out for a Mac. That's what I do.

I seen this option before and installed VMware, got the modified darwin snow iso file to run osx but tells me I need an ISO image to install. correct me if i'm wrong but the mac install dvd is DMG? I opened it with power ISO and converted it from DMG to ISO but its like over 7gig. wouldn't pick it up on the boot menu.

don't want to go hunting for dual layer DVDs if its going to be a corrupt file that VM ware won't recognise.

I tried to install with the retail copy of OSX that came with my mums new Mac and windows/VMware didn't pick it up. :(

Anyways for people who would like a bit more info check this out. I'm gonna try this again tonight because I would love a new hobby and getting into iphone apps would be a treat.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/mac-os-x/install-snow-leopard-on-pc/

PP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

I seen this option before and installed VMware, got the modified darwin snow iso file to run osx but tells me I need an ISO image to install. correct me if i'm wrong but the mac install dvd is DMG? I opened it with power ISO and converted it from DMG to ISO but its like over 7gig. wouldn't pick it up on the boot menu.

don't want to go hunting for dual layer DVDs if its going to be a corrupt file that VM ware won't recognise.

I tried to install with the retail copy of OSX that came with my mums new Mac and windows/VMware didn't pick it up. :(

Anyways for people who would like a bit more info check this out. I'm gonna try this again tonight because I would love a new hobby and getting into iphone apps would be a treat.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/mac-os-x/install-snow-leopard-on-pc/

PP

Physical discs aren't necessary. Just mount the 7 gig iso as a drive. At least that's what I do in VirtualBox. Don't know about VMWare.

Advertisement