Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD Camcorder recommendations and file append after pause

Options
  • 16-12-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

I have a Sony Digital-8 for the past 8 years and its still going strong. I record to tape and every year or so take all the tapes, extract to DV and create DVDs. I can then watch them easily on my HTPC and burn them to DVD for safety.

The only editing of it is that I add the date when anytime a new day of video starts. Nothing too complicated, but I find it a massive pain as its repetitive and time consuming.

I want to record decent quality HD video which I can dump directly to PC and watch. Of course all the HDD and flash camcorders do this but one feature never gets mentioned. If I take a number of videos in a day, I'd like them to be automatically appended into the one file, without any manual effort. Even if it was videos taken and paused and more taken, if that was one file, that would be ok. But it seems that any camcorder I've looked at creates a separate file each time.

The camcorder that top of my list is the Panasonic SD60 which is #1 in most reviews for my budget. Alas, it creates separate files too :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

bazwaldo wrote: »
    I want to record decent quality HD video which I can dump directly to PC and watch. Of course all the HDD and flash camcorders do this but one feature never gets mentioned. If I take a number of videos in a day, I'd like them to be automatically appended into the one file, without any manual effort. Even if it was videos taken and paused and more taken, if that was one file, that would be ok. But it seems that any camcorder I've looked at creates a separate file each time.

I don't think this feature exists. Cameras wouldn't have the processing capabilities to append files like this. What you'd have to do is drag them all into some editing program and just append them that way. You could perhaps set a macro to do it for you with python scripting or something at the PC side of things. Other than that just keep the videos in subfolders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

So what you want is a single video file dump for each "download session"?. Im sure its possible, might have some container issues. I'd hazard a guess you could use or write a script for virtualdub that would litterally put the splices (files) together without recompressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Thanks for that. I had given up getting a response and just checked now on the off chance. I got the SD60 and have not decided how to store the files. Maybe a playlist would work best. I may get some tool to rename files based on record time&date or write something myself to save adding the info to the video itself.

Now to figure how to archive 30 hours of DV avi. I was using DVD creator s/w to create DVDs but maybe converting to some other format is better. I tried using SUPER which works great for converting xvids to 3gp but I haven't got good results yet converting a DV avi to mp4/wmv/xvid/mpeg2.

Advertisement