Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London

Options
  • 16-12-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Im planning of moving to London in the new year, Im 30 yrs old, unqualified and I haven't had steady work since 2008. The reason I'm moving is I'm sick of Ireland and the situation here. Plus I'm on social welfare and the incentive to work isn't there. If I'm in a situation where I'm forced to find work to put a roof over my head I might perform better at interviews and actually get a job. I've heard things are picking up over there. My plan is to just hand in CV's in supermarkets etc cause that's the type of work I've experience in. Ideally I'd like to work in IT but haven't got enough experience or qualifications.

Is there anyone else in this situation who's heading over around the same time, if so maybe we could meet up and go over together. I don't have any contacts over there.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Im planning of moving to London in the new year, Im 30 yrs old, unqualified and I haven't had steady work since 2008. The reason I'm moving is I'm sick of Ireland and the situation here. Plus I'm on social welfare and the incentive to work isn't there. If I'm in a situation where I'm forced to find work to put a roof over my head I might perform better at interviews and actually get a job. I've heard things are picking up over there. My plan is to just hand in CV's in supermarkets etc cause that's the type of work I've experience in. Ideally I'd like to work in IT but haven't got enough experience or qualifications.

Is there anyone else in this situation who's heading over around the same time, if so maybe we could meet up and go over together. I don't have any contacts over there.

when I went over to the UK in the early 90's I found a GAA club there which was very helpful on a number of levels.
    Socially it was good to meet up with people in a simillar situation to me, ie jobless and knowing no one. I was even introduced to my wife by a team mate.
    On another level, I got my first job from one of my team mates. Everyone in the club went out of their way to help others out, and once established I was expected to do the same.

Just to point out also - I was not a great footballer, they struggled for numbers and were always looking for people. Its worth a punt

http://www.londongaa.org/

http://www.clubgaa.ie/england/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Ireland is rotten at the moment. But remember, faraway hills are greener. You really need to put the effort in.

You should consider doing a Fas or Plc course, perhaps under BTEA, to upskill yourself in the area of IT. this might help you get a service desk job in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nodgienodge

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Ireland is rotten at the moment. But remember, faraway hills are greener. You really need to put the effort in.

You should consider doing a Fas or Plc course, perhaps under BTEA, to upskill yourself in the area of IT. this might help you get a service desk job in the UK.

I already have a FAS cert in Software Development and a Java Programming certificate. I have about a year and a half telephone tech support experience. I very much dislike this kind of work though.

I had several job interviews here but no joy. I think the reason for this is often because they see the big gap in my work history and think "He's just on the dole and not really making the effort to get a job, so I don't feel comfortable giving him the job". At least if I move to the UK and get an interview they'll think "Well he made the effort to get out of Ireland cause there's no jobs over there so he must be eager to work, plus the Irish are very good workers". I think this will go a long way. If it doesn't happen at least I know that home is only 1 cheap Ryanair flight away.

Advertisement