Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike advice

Options
  • 16-12-2010 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on a new bike, I'm planning to get one after Christmas in the sales...

I'm planning to go to halfords as they do pretty good "sales" and sometimes have up to 50% off. I know that these are probably advertised with huge profit margins but it's an easy place to get too and there is more than one in Ireland so If I have an issue I can go to another branch.

Now my cycling, It generally consists of cycling on main road around Cork city and country roads in Kerry. Cycling in the city I break alot, So need a bike with a type of breaking system that won't wear down quickly.

I'm tall 6'5' so could you recommend a frame size?

Here's two bikes I'm looking at the latter will hopefully be 200 or so after Christmas.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_762353_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_762357_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

I'll be aiming for the biggest frame possible.

Also a lock, Would a good old chain and padlock be better than any locks on the market?

One last thing, Is peddling while standing up OK on a bike, I usually cycle while standing and rarely use the saddle but I'm wondering does this do damage to the bike peddles?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Now my cycling, It generally consists of cycling on main road around Cork city and country roads in Kerry. Cycling in the city I break alot, So need a bike with a type of breaking system that won't wear down quickly.
    Brakes with decent pads won't wear down all that fast. Also, use the front brake a bit more (it has a lot more power) which should reduce your total braking time.
    I'm tall 6'5' so could you recommend a frame size?
    The biggest one they have, I reckon! Though you seem to know that yourself :)
    Here's two bikes I'm looking at the latter will hopefully be 200 or so after Christmas.
    Personally, I don't like the look of either of those bikes. I'm not a fan of cheap suspension, especially cheap rear suspension. It tends not to work so well and be more hassle than it's worth. Also, for on road cycling, a hybrid or entry level road bike would be much better, IMO.
    Also a lock, Would a good old chain and padlock be better than any locks on the market?
    The padlock would be the weak link in that, a good quality U-lock from Kryptonite or Abus would be a much better bet.
    One last thing, Is peddling while standing up OK on a bike, I usually cycle while standing and rarely use the saddle but I'm wondering does this do damage to the bike peddles?
    It's fine, it won't damage the pedals. However, if you're going for longer spins, you'll get rather tired, rather fast...
    Thanks
    You're welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I could in no way recommend either of those bike. These are very cheap halfords brands which will likley cost you more in the long run due to cheap components and the way halfords wil put the bike together.

The best advise I could give is save up to 300 and buy secondhand, you will get a great bike for that, that will service you well. Again, if it is for commuting, etc and not off road (although those halfords bike wouldnt be much off road) go for a hybrid. Most likley a decent road bike is out of your price range.

Never use your front brake more, especially in the raain, if your back wheel goes from under you, chances are you can correct and not come off you bike, however if it happens to your front, forget about it, your going down.

Note sure of MTB sizing, but I'm 6'5 and use a 60cm bike, which is typically the largest.

+1 for Kryptonite lock.

Peddling standing is fine and any funtional bike should withstand it, but on a cheapbike, I'd imagine a pedal / crank could snap off if poorly maintained and assembled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just to update, 250 is the max end of my budget, and I need a bike after Christmas ( college commuting), My one at the moment has seen better days.

I'd like a MTB anyway as I sometimes do some park paths and stuff like that.

Also, Bike at the moment only has front brake so very used to using those!

Can anybody link me to the best Kryptolock, It'll only be locked in Cork City Centre( day/evening) and UCC campus, Cheers.

Just to update, 250 is the max end of my budget, and I need a bike after Christmas ( college commuting), My one at the moment has seen better days.

I'd like a MTB anyway as I sometimes do some park paths and stuff like that.
    Honestly, a hybrid would be much better suited to everything; they normally come with ~32-35 mm tyres, which should be grand for some light off road. If you stuck knobbly tyres on, you'd have a more capable MTB than either of those two.

Something like the Carrera Subway, which is also from Halfords, would be a better buy. The undiscounted price is a bit out of your range, but with a sale it should be grand. FWIW, the suspension forks on my MTB cost more than either of your entire preferred bikes, so if you do go for them, don't expect much reliability!

Coronal wrote: »
    Honestly, a hybrid would be much better suited to everything; they normally come with ~32-35 mm tyres, which should be grand for some light off road. If you stuck knobbly tyres on, you'd have a more capable MTB than either of those two.

Something like the Carrera Subway, which is also from Halfords, would be a better buy. The undiscounted price is a bit out of your range, but with a sale it should be grand. FWIW, the suspension forks on my MTB cost more than either of your entire preferred bikes, so if you do go for them, don't expect much reliability!

Thanks for that, After looking at the Subway, it looks abit flimsy, I've already fallen twice off my bike ( ice ) due to the front tyre slipping on ice, And those tyres look like they could be dangerous on ice? And If I was to fall off it it seems the bike ( wheels for example ) would take more damage than those of a MTB

• Advertisement

Ice is mostly a case of the wider the better, so you can run at a lower pressure and get more contact. Ice tyres are the best way to go, really, but handling skills are of huge importance!

Ice is mostly a case of the wider the better, so you can run at a lower pressure and get more contact. Ice tyres are the best way to go, really, but handling skills are of huge importance!

Sorry about all the questions! One more, Would they be alright on wet roads, It reads as "semi slicks" or something, Would they be OK?

Edit: Just seen this, Shop price is 580 so a pretty decent bike, If I ever did want to go cycling up kills and stuff?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1760039

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sorry about all the questions! One more, Would they be alright on wet roads, It reads as "semi slicks" or something, Would they be OK?

Tyre treads are of absolutely no use on a road bike, wet or dry. Bikes are nothing like cars in this respect.

Nah, you're grand!

Any tread on road cycling tyres is a marketing ploy, really, and serves no purpose. Semi slicks should, in theory have better grip than, say, MTB tyres, simply due to having more contact with the ground. Where tread is useful is off road where you need to dig into the dirt to get purchase.

EDIT; ninja'd, damn you, Lumen!

I've done some very light non-road stuff on 23 mm road tyres, though, so it's still doable :D I've never had a fall due to a wet road, just ice and thick snow (again on road tyres). Don't brake when you're in the middle of a turn and you should have no issues with those tyres in most conditions.

Nah, you're grand!

Any tread on road cycling tyres is a marketing ploy, really, and serves no purpose. Semi slicks should, in theory have better grip than, say, MTB tyres, simply due to having more contact with the ground. Where tread is useful is off road where you need to dig into the dirt to get purchase.

EDIT; ninja'd, damn you, Lumen!

I've done some very light non-road stuff on 23 mm road tyres, though, so it's still doable :D I've never had a fall due to a wet road, just ice and thick snow (again on road tyres). Don't brake when you're in the middle of a turn and you should have no issues with those tyres in most conditions.

Perfect, I think I'm pushed to getting the subway then. :)

• Advertisement

Good man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

funkyjebus wrote: »
    I could in no way recommend either of those bike. These are very cheap halfords brands which will likley cost you more in the long run due to cheap components and the way halfords wil put the bike together.

The best advise I could give is save up to 300 and buy secondhand, you will get a great bike for that, that will service you well. Again, if it is for commuting, etc and not off road (although those halfords bike wouldnt be much off road) go for a hybrid. Most likley a decent road bike is out of your price range.

Never use your front brake more, especially in the raain, if your back wheel goes from under you, chances are you can correct and not come off you bike, however if it happens to your front, forget about it, your going down.

Note sure of MTB sizing, but I'm 6'5 and use a 60cm bike, which is typically the largest.

+1 for Kryptonite lock.

Peddling standing is fine and any funtional bike should withstand it, but on a cheapbike, I'd imagine a pedal / crank could snap off if poorly maintained and assembled.

Can't but aggree with this. If you haven't got 300 then take your 250 and get a second hand bike.

First of all to be even looking at a full suspension bike you'd want to be spending around 1500 to get something that won't fall apart. Secondly if all you're cycling is done on the road then get a hybrid. You don't need an mtb.
    Last of all, the only thing I get in Halfords is engine oil for my car. Thats because the staff in there don't have a clue about anything else, certainly not bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Lashed wrote: »
    Can't but aggree with this. If you haven't got 300 then take your 250 and get a second hand bike.

First of all to be even looking at a full suspension bike you'd want to be spending around 1500 to get something that won't fall apart. Secondly if all you're cycling is done on the road then get a hybrid. You don't need an mtb.
    Last of all, the only thing I get in Halfords is engine oil for my car. Thats because the staff in there don't have a clue about anything else, certainly not bikes.

disagree about spending 1500 on a full sus bike i bought a second hand bionicon edison for 900 and it is one sweet piece of kit, if you end up looking at full sus bikes do go second hand though as they are damn expensive new

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

disagree about spending 1500 on a full sus bike i bought a second hand bionicon edison for 900 and it is one sweet piece of kit, if you end up looking at full sus bikes do go second hand though as they are damn expensive new

Sorry I should have specified. I meant 1500 on a new bike seeing as thats what he is looking at. As you pointed out, great value second hand.

Lashed wrote: »
    Sorry I should have specified. I meant 1500 on a new bike seeing as thats what he is looking at. As you pointed out, great value second hand.

id definitely buy second hand again as there are some real bargains out their between madmtb.com, epicmtb.com, irishdh.com and adverts

Ok a quick but if advice, cause I've been convinced into getting a hybrid I was checking the prices on halfords and was that the Carrera Subway Limited Edition Mens Hybrid Bike - 20" has been halved in price, it seems decent for the price and I might be able to stretch to it. Anyone have any comments? Link: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_779797_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

As a basic rule of thumb at Halfords, Apollo range is crap, Carrera is good and Boardman is top notch. That bike looks like a good deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

mtb_kng wrote: »

that looks like a bargain to me might try and pick one up myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Hi,
    I am looking for similar advice as the OP, thought it better to post here than start a new thread.

I am looking for a hybrid, mainly for cycling to work and around town, I have an old Daimondback mountain bike that usually does me but it feels a bit heavy and is not ideal for commuting. I measured the frame of my exsting bike, it's 18' and fits me perfectly so I am guessing an 18' hybrid would be a fairly good fit too.

I have been looking at this bike: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-seek-4-2010
    comes in at about €435 including delivery, what do you think? good deal/bad deal?

Having read this thread I think that the Carrera Subway in Halfords might be just as good for €275..they don't have it in stock in Galway so would have to go down to Limerick for it but not that big a deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, maximum budget is €450.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hmm, went in today, every carrera I tried was too small( or too expensive :pac: ) Tried a diamond Back 20" was the biggest there, and In the end the manager convinced me not to get it cause I was far too tall for it ( I'm 6 foot 5/6 with my legs being very long...)

They had very few 22" in stock, And the only one in my price range is this, I can't afford to get anything more expensive than that, So If anyone know of a cheap MTB/hybrid for around 250 please let me know.

I'd say you'd be looking at second hand then. I made the mistake of buying a cheap new Raleigh bike instead of a second hand decent bike. Probably going to get one of these two soon:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_778061_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

or hopefully

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_781613_langId_-1_categoryId_212589#BVRRWidgetID

Well I ended up going for the Apollo Phaze, Yes I'm sure a lot are going to think it's a stupid choice but It was the only/best 22" I could afford.

The bike fits me perfectly and straight away I noticed the better posture(?) over the 20" I tried and my own 20" bike( the reason I was upgrading ).

I've already had to issue, It seemed it wasn't assembled properly and the back gears were an an angle to the front ones, I took the bike back after a 20km round trip I can gladly say it's a lot better and is very smooth.

I'm very pleased I went with halfords, their service was quick and friendly!

Back again, Looking for new bike advice.

I'm pretty sure you're all sick of me and this thread but, on Thursday evening while cycling away from traffic lights with lots of cars the same issue arose again, The chain slipped off the gears, I firstly didn't expect this to happen anymore and secondly couldn't react quick enough, My foot slipped off the peddle( because I was peddling in the toughest gear and then suddenly it went lose ) my right foot which was closest to the ground hit the road, peddle went into the back of my ankle and I got thrown off the bike.

Picked myself up off the road quickly and dragged the bike onto the grass verge, the handle bars took the worst of the damage (along with me) and I'm now in contact with Halfords head office about getting a refund but I've no issue with going to the small claims court if they disagree.

So, I've got a bit more money and would like a recommendation of a bike (new or used) which uses a reliable gear system that doesn't slip( I've never had this issue before though... ).

Thanks!

If I was to go back to Halfords, What would people think of this? http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_512511_langId_-1_categoryId_212589#dtab

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cube Hyde Comp 2010, 62cm, €543.27
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44382

Not sure about the size, but that's the biggest they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Back again, Looking for new bike advice.

I'm pretty sure you're all sick of me and this thread but, on Thursday evening while cycling away from traffic lights with lots of cars the same issue arose again, The chain slipped off the gears, I firstly didn't expect this to happen anymore and secondly couldn't react quick enough, My foot slipped off the peddle( because I was peddling in the toughest gear and then suddenly it went lose ) my right foot which was closest to the ground hit the road, peddle went into the back of my ankle and I got thrown off the bike.

Picked myself up off the road quickly and dragged the bike onto the grass verge, the handle bars took the worst of the damage (along with me) and I'm now in contact with Halfords head office about getting a refund but I've no issue with going to the small claims court if they disagree.

So, I've got a bit more money and would like a recommendation of a bike (new or used) which uses a reliable gear system that doesn't slip( I've never had this issue before though... ).

Thanks!

If I was to go back to Halfords, What would people think of this? http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_512511_langId_-1_categoryId_212589#dtab

This one is good value
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/04/72701104.html

I'd say you'd be looking at second hand then. I made the mistake of buying a cheap new Raleigh bike instead of a second hand decent bike. Probably going to get one of these two soon:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_778061_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

or hopefully

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_781613_langId_-1_categoryId_212589#BVRRWidgetID

*cough*

:rolleyes:

(Links not working but its the Carrera Vengence Race/Ultimate)

*cough*

:rolleyes:

(Links not working but its the Carrera Vengence Race/Ultimate)

They are no longer on the site :(

My new Budget would be 400 and it would need to be in Cork or Kerry and atleast a 20" frame.

This any good? http://www.theedge-sports.com/acatalog/info_217995.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement