Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get BTEA if you study abroad at a university in another EU country?

Options
  • 16-12-2010 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering whether someone can get BTEA (provided they're eligible for it of course) if the university course they are going to do is outside of Ireland? As far as I'm aware they can? Is that restricted only to other EU universities or could they study anywhere in the world and still get BTEA I wonder?

And what happens vis a vis the HRC, Habitual Residency Condition, if an Irish person is studying abroad for x number of years? I would guess it doesn't kick in or am I wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I'm also wondering about this, but if i was to study in america, would it still be paid?
    My situation is that i'm in my second year of study, but wanna do my 3rd year in the states.
    Anyone got info on grants in this situation aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Xios wrote: »
    I'm also wondering about this, but if i was to study in america, would it still be paid?
    My situation is that i'm in my second year of study, but wanna do my 3rd year in the states.
    Anyone got info on grants in this situation aswell?

I've found out (ya wouldn't wanna rely on boards.ie for info, lol - hell would freeze over faster!) You can get BTEA provided the course is in another EU member State. Switz,Iceland and Norway may also be covered - not too sure on that as they're EEA States. The US? No. You won't get a dime as far as I know.

Now if a year abraod is an integral part of your course and you are already getting BTEA then you'll be fine, you will be able to continue being paid BTEA. As for grants - as far as I know but check with your local awarding VEC/Council that if you are already getting a grant you will continue to get a grant if the year away is an integral part of your degree.

Personally I'm thinking of a university in Romania which has a couple of undergraduate degree courses taught through English. Also introducing an MA delivered through English from next year as far as I know. I have a place secured at UCC starting 2011/2012 but studying abroad would be a little different. Can't do that specific course offered in Romania at UCC in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yeah, you can definetely get it while studying abroad as part of your degree. Friend of mine got it when he was on Erasmus with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Yeah, you can definetely get it while studying abroad as part of your degree. Friend of mine got it when he was on Erasmus with me.

Thanks but I'm not asking whether you can get it as part of a degree course, say a year away studying or whatever - can you get it if your degree course, 3 years or whatever is in another EU member State?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

marti8 wrote: »
    I've found out (ya wouldn't wanna rely on boards.ie for info, lol - hell would freeze over faster!) You can get BTEA provided the course is in another EU member State. Switz,Iceland and Norway may also be covered - not too sure on that as they're EEA States. The US? No. You won't get a dime as far as I know.

Now if a year abraod is an integral part of your course and you are already getting BTEA then you'll be fine, you will be able to continue being paid BTEA. As for grants - as far as I know but check with your local awarding VEC/Council that if you are already getting a grant you will continue to get a grant if the year away is an integral part of your degree.

Personally I'm thinking of a university in Romania which has a couple of undergraduate degree courses taught through English. Also introducing an MA delivered through English from next year as far as I know. I have a place secured at UCC starting 2011/2012 but studying abroad would be a little different. Can't do that specific course offered in Romania at UCC in any case.

Thanks man, i'll get onto the authorities after the christmas break for more exact info. But for the next couple days, ima chillax :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement