Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing one subject

Options
  • 15-12-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

I think I may have failed one subject this semester. When will I get a chance to repeat and how will this affect me moving on to semester 2 and year 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

As far as I know, all repeats are held over the summer, on a yearly basis rather than a semester basis

CA repeats may be different

Ask your course head, or if its a CA, as the teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You can move onto Semester 2 but not 2nd Year.

Repeats are held in August and CA repeats held in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rathcop

Hope you didn't fail but you CAN repeat after 2nd semester. Me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

If you fail one subject in a degree year and have to repeat it, does that stop you from getting a 2:1 or 1:1 or whatver?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

The_B_Man wrote: »
    If you fail one subject in a degree year and have to repeat it, does that stop you from getting a 2:1 or 1:1 or whatver?

As far as i know yes it does, from what i heard your degree will be a pass degree no matter what you get in the repeat.

• Advertisement

davey101 wrote: »
    As far as i know yes it does, from what i heard your degree will be a pass degree no matter what you get in the repeat.

Assuming there's exceptions for deferred exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Assuming there's exceptions for deferred exams?

I would assume so!

Does IT Tallaght do them complimentary exceptions, or whatever they're called. Basically if you fail one subject by a few percent, eg 37%, but get A's and B's otherwise, they'll bump you up, thus enabling you to get your 2:1?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Does IT Tallaght do them complimentary exceptions, or whatever they're called. Basically if you fail one subject by a few percent, eg 37%, but get A's and B's otherwise, they'll bump you up, thus enabling you to get your 2:1?

If you mean if you get between 35%-39% which is a techinal fail you can compenstate it with an A or B in another subject? If so yes.

Nice one! Planning on leaving college after this year to get a job, so I'm desperate for a 2:1 or a 1:1, but like the OP, theres one subject this semester which I have a D average so will be just barely scraping by in it, and can't afford a plain old pass degree! My other subjects are all A's and B's though so I'm hoping even with this 1 subject dropping my average, I can still get a good degree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement