Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned bike-what should I do?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

So pretty much for the past week or so I've been on my commute home and have seen an old racer, which (I assume) has been abandoned. Its just laying up against a wall by an alleyway, in no way locked or anything. The wheels are buckled in, frames a bit rusted and its just a general heap! However, there are a few parts, ie stem, bars, crank, pedals, ect, that I could use in builds of my own. So my dilemma is do I take it or leave it? At the end of the day its not mine, but I was thinking what if I turned it in to the guards and I may get it back after a month or so if its righteous owner doesn't claim it? Help much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

I think you should take it away. The garda don't want to know about things like that and it saves the council having to remove it.
    You'd be doing society and the enviroment a favour:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Take it, leave a contact number in it's place. If nobody calls looking for their bike within a week or so (obviously ask for a description of the bike) take the parts you need and give the rest to Rothar so they can feed it back into the biking blood stream. Maybe there is more honorable ways to deal with the situation but if you're asking for an honest opinion, that's probably what I'd do. Buckled wheel, unlocked, rusting, in an alley all point to it being abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Ryath

happytramp wrote: »
    . Buckled wheel, unlocked, rusting, in an alley all point to it being abandoned.

By who? The owner or some toerag who nicked it and abandoned it after buckling the wheel. I'd at least try the garda they probably won't be interested but at least you'll have tried to do the right thing thing before taking it for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sounds like all the parts your interested in are probably siezed anyway ( If theres rust on the frame the the stem, pedals etc. will probably be a b**ch to get off).

Call the local cop shop and report it. Then go to Rothar.ie and get the parts you need.

Thats what i'd do.

Advertisement