Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clearence

Options
  • 15-12-2010 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

can anyone help me? I am a registered nurse in Ireland and have recently relocated to Edinburgh where I got a job with the NHS. One of the requirements for this job was garda clearence, which I assumed would be no trouble getting, how wrong was I.
    My local garda station said they don't deal with those requests anymore and to contact garda vetting in Tipperary, which is a central unit, which I did. I downloaded a form requesting access to my personal data, sent it off and four weeks later received a letter titled: ''Request for access to personal data under section 4 data protection act 1988 & 2003. This letter states as it s main headline ''not to be construted as proof of no convictions, a police certificate, guarda reference or garda vetting.
    surprise, surprise, this was not accepted by the NHS. Rang local station and was told there is nothing they can do for an individual request, and to contact vetting in Tipperary. Tipperary said this letter is all they can give to an individal, and if the employer seeks vetting then they will be able to help, however only if the employer is in the republic, and not abroad!!
    NHS are aware of this but say they can't accept it. They want me to write to the superintedent in Tipperary. I am trying to sort this out since September and my whole job hinges on my being able to obtain garda clearence. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Niamh - I would ask in the Emergency Services forum if I were you, I would think someone in there might be able to assist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Good thinking, sending this that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

niamh500 wrote: »
    can anyone help me? I am a registered nurse in Ireland and have recently relocated to Edinburgh where I got a job with the NHS. One of the requirements for this job was garda clearence, which I assumed would be no trouble getting, how wrong was I.
    My local garda station said they don't deal with those requests anymore and to contact garda vetting in Tipperary, which is a central unit, which I did. I downloaded a form requesting access to my personal data, sent it off and four weeks later received a letter titled: ''Request for access to personal data under section 4 data protection act 1988 & 2003. This letter states as it s main headline ''not to be construted as proof of no convictions, a police certificate, guarda reference or garda vetting.
    surprise, surprise, this was not accepted by the NHS. Rang local station and was told there is nothing they can do for an individual request, and to contact vetting in Tipperary. Tipperary said this letter is all they can give to an individal, and if the employer seeks vetting then they will be able to help, however only if the employer is in the republic, and not abroad!!
    NHS are aware of this but say they can't accept it. They want me to write to the superintedent in Tipperary. I am trying to sort this out since September and my whole job hinges on my being able to obtain garda clearence. Can anyone help?

Will a police certificate of character suffice??? That can be got from your local station

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Sounds strange. I work for the NHS in England and any job with them requires clearance from a government agency called the criminal records bureau (CRB). All you need to do is fill in the paperwork, provide copies of ID / utility bills etc, send it off to them and they do the rest. Is this not how it works with NHS Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Dont even talk to me about Garda Vetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

SomeDose wrote: »
    Sounds strange. I work for the NHS in England and any job with them requires clearance from a government agency called the criminal records bureau (CRB). All you need to do is fill in the paperwork, provide copies of ID / utility bills etc, send it off to them and they do the rest. Is this not how it works with NHS Scotland?

It is different in that the OP is moving from Ireland to Scotland to work, this means that the Scottish NHS want a clearance letter from the Gardaí, not the CRB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/guidance/applicants_guidance/what_if_i_have_lived_overseas.aspx

Might be worth asking the British CRB for advice, I'm sure they have come across this before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 d00gle74

I've come across this numerous times, as a local Garda, exact same circumstances as yours. This is what I advise, and you've it half done already. You got the cert for the want of a better expression, 1/2 done. Now you need a sympathic Garda to write you a letter on headed paper, it really should be no problem once you got the cert but unfortunately we're not allowed to actually write this letter kind of, nobaody has an issue till it goes pear shaped if you know what I mean. Political correctness you see. Anyhow present the cert to the Garda, ask him to check PULSE and then ask him to write a SHORT letter acknowledgeing you have no convictions and are of good character. Even of he doesnt know you (but I assume you appear sane lol) he should be able to certify this from the information already on PULSE. This always satisfies NHS. What you are doing is actually CLEARLY stating what is in you cert as opposed to what they vagely state. Apologies for spelling, in a rush but this issue gets on my goat. PM me of you want. Depending on where you are I may be abale to assist. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I would hope that no Garda is niave enough to write such a letter just like that.

Theres 2 types of clearance possible:

A, Vetting is done by the vetting office in Tipperary. This is applied for direct by the company your applying to join and is done for people wishing to work in Ireland only.

B, Certificate of character. This is designed for people applying for work visas and is usally required prior to leaving the country. It clearly states on this cert that its for embassy use only.

What is being asked for by the OP is option A via the UK authorities. They can make additional requests direct to us as part of their clearance. If the nhs is proving arkward then you should still be able to obtain option B by applying to your local station. Not whatever station you happen to be passing, not dublin airport cause you only flew over for the day but your actual local station. Depending on local methods it may take 2 weeks or so. Bring plenty of id and as much proof of address stuff as possible. In fact, just bring everything with your name and all your addresses on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭pah

d00gle74 wrote: »
    we're not allowed to actually write this letter kind of, nobody has an issue till it goes pear shaped if you know what I mean

Eh... No, what do you mean?
    Eru wrote: »
    I would hope that no Garda is naive enough to write such a letter just like that.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

That's really strange - I was offered a job with the NHS in January subject to CRB clearance - I filled out a short form (A4 leaflet), sent it back and within a few weeks got my clearance back without having to do anything else. I sent it back to the hospital I was taking the job with and they sent it on to whoever it goes to! Maybe ring the hospital and check with them that you're actually supposed to be getting it yourself?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

An inch or two is loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You've just confirmed what most people always assumed about Gardai.:P

Advertisement