Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toughest Sportif for 2011

Options
  • 15-12-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Thinking of entering Marmotte 2011 but cash may be a problem...failing that, what would be a couple of really tough sportifs to aim for in 2011.

Completed W200 and a few of the an post events this year (Sligo,Meath) never been up north. Thought Kilkenny was very good(organised) but DNF due to a plague of punctures.

Would like to give maybe four tough events in Ireland a lash this year...any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The Maracycle is on in June.....

.....and this one styles itself as the Toughest Sportive in Ireland - even though it's in the UK;)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

Polka Dot Challenge in Mayo; 180km & 3000m of climbing.....Run by Western Lakes CC out of Ballinrobe. I'm not sure if it's the hardest, but enjoyable all the same.

http://www.westernlakescc.com/#/polkadot-challenge-route2009/4531993692

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

They are all tough if you ride hard enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hardest cycle event I ever rode was a 4k pursuit.......
    Would rather ride 20 W200's than do that again

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

Good options...know anything about the Mourne sportive? I see it was confined to 60 riders...how hard say compared to W200 or SK Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're looking for something that's quite challenging to finish but doesn't involve scary group riding, consider doing the RAI solo.

The average speed is a little slower than your average sportive and you get to see a lot of the country.

Sorry Lumen, The RAI??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

The Mick Byrne 200 is a great course - harder than the wicklow 200 and more scenic too.

You won't get any course in Ireland that's challenging in the way a marmotte or etape is, but as has been said here, if you want to make it harder, go faster.

If distance is your thing then there's a load of audax events on the calendar. There's also the Race Around Ireland.

That said, if you can scrape the money together, the marmotte is a day you'll remember forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

WUFF wrote: »
    Sorry Lumen, The RAI??

Race Around Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

niceonetom wrote: »

It's quite a nice cycle. You get to eat all you like along with the fun of sleeping in a camper van and seeing all the far flung parts of the country.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for replies...trying to get something together to aim for next year. With events on every weekend during the season it can be tricky to decide which to go for...good to have the choice i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The SKT was quite enjoyable and if you put the foot down, you could really suffer by the time you hit 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

iveragh 200 is quite tough overall, there wont be anything left in the legs at the top of coomanaspig after 170k :)

BUT I found skt and the rebel tour both harder because as mentioned earlier its all about how fast you go, and I went flat out at the front in both and ran out of gas and went backwards at a rate of knots.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The toughest sportif depends on so many things. How hard you push, the conditions, how suited you are to the terrain.
    For example the pro race Het Volk was run this year in severe cold during a storm (mini tornados).
    Despite a flat course on 14 or so riders finished.

Iveragh 200 is a very tough course but was expensive and poorly organised IMHO. However due to the nature of the route I would do it again.

The Conor Pass Challenge was tough but rewarding. The tough part wasn't the climb but the crazy pace (33km avg into a fierce gale). Excellently organised, cost a fiver, great fun and a phenomenal cake spread at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Paris-Brest-Paris is on in 2011. Not as tough as the RAI (even if you do sleep ;)) but if you are looking for a tough test have a crack at it. All said, the Marmotte is the dog's-there is something very special about taking on those three particular sacred cycling climbs on the same day. It should be on every cyclist's 'do before I die' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I went on the lash the night before a Bray Wheelers sportive and it was very painful.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

cormpat wrote: »
    Polka Dot Challenge in Mayo; 180km & 3000m of climbing.....Run by Western Lakes CC out of Ballinrobe. I'm not sure if it's the hardest, but enjoyable all the same.

Well Joe Barr rode it in prep for RAI09 and he said it was as good a test as you will get.

And those who rode RAI 10 may remember Lally, Maumtrasna and Ail Dubh though I think it was in the dark when you went thru.

None of the 13 Hills(that are named) are very long but its the many short very sharp shocks that are not classified that wear you down.
    Its been moved to the Saturday (July 16th ) for 2011 so people can relax afterwards for the BBQ(which is included in the entry)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

niceonetom wrote: »
    The Mick Byrne 200 is a great course - harder than the wicklow 200 and more scenic too.

I'll second that, didn't finish it myself but the part I did get through, oh hell. It seems to defy physics by having non stop climbing from the start. If you want tough, this is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

WUFF wrote: »
    Good options...know anything about the Mourne sportive? I see it was confined to 60 riders...how hard say compared to W200 or SK Waterford?

I did the 125k version of this- got lost on the way up and so missed the start of the Sportive proper.

I'd say the Sportive would certainly be harder than the W200, 160k but with about 3300m of climbing. Whether or not it's the toughest event on the island, it has the most climbing in a single day. The 125k, i.e. the smaller event, was surprisingly challenging, with about 2500 m of vertical iirc. You're up and down all day, hardly any flat bits.

Some nice scenery up there, and a friendly bunch, I ended up riding all day with a local geezer who was at a similar pace. It's also kind of a novelty riding around up north, for me anyway. Marshalling was very good, food was ample, I will go back some day and ride the sportive itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

The mourne sportive is an absolute ball breaker. Up and down all day long . I did the Marmotte the same yr as I did the Mourne sportive and the latter was definatley harder. Took me 7hrs 15mins to do the Marmotte and just under 8hrs to crawl around the mournes . It makes the W200 look like a wee sunday spin!!
    I had to get off and walk up the last hill ( windy gap i think) with a 34/25 gears . Got around the Marmotte in a 36/25 no bother.
    Very few enter this event each yr , most opt for the shorter distance ( Wisely!!)

So if you want my opinion , The Mourne Sportive is all you need to get a tough day out .

Advertisement