Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''data roaming'' alert on desire/3

Options
  • 15-12-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

ok, before i start i've rang 3 a total of five times now. it must be either my inability to phrase the question right, or else they just don't know the answer, or maybe they're unwilling to tell me?! lol.

i have a HTC desire, and so far i love it. so when i go into settings >> wireless & networks >> mobile network, to connect to the internet, everything is hunky dory. or at least it is here in mayo. when i go to sligo and do this i get a pop up alert to say that i am now data roaming, and it may cost considerably more, blah blah.

so the only reason i would be getting this alert is because there's no 3 coverage where i am, and the phone roams to the available network such as vodafone or whatever, right? but surely that's not gonna cost me more, is it?

also, you might just confirm that what i've just asked makes sense. cause after five phonecalls to 3 i'm seriously questioning my sanity, lol :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

No you're perfectly sane, the same thing happens to me from time to time. It won't cost you more when you roam within the Republic of Ireland on Vodafone or whoever. It's just that the phone doesn't know that 3 have internal roaming agreements with other networks within this country.

The only thing to be wary of is if you're going near the North or mainland UK - make sure your data roaming is switched off or else you'll get a nasty surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

6ix wrote: »
    No you're perfectly sane, the same thing happens to me from time to time. It won't cost you more when you roam within the Republic of Ireland on Vodafone or whoever. It's just that the phone doesn't know that 3 have internal roaming agreements with other networks within this country.

The only thing to be wary of is if you're going near the North or mainland UK - make sure your data roaming is switched off or else you'll get a nasty surprise.

i had wondered this in tipperary also.. thats good to hear cheers man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

aw cheers, i knew that what it was but just rang them to be sure. i still wonder though why it is that the 12+ people i spoke to in 3 customer service and tech support couldn't just have told me that :p

no fear about the NI/UK roaming thing accidentally though - even though i checked the roaming box when i signed up [cause i do go up/over there a fair bit] i got stuck in enniskillen the other day with no signal, no option to roam to local networks, nothing. three are insisting that all i need to do is manually select the network, but no amount of me telling them that this didn't work and that the alert on my phone was that the sim was not allowing it would work either. i'm a bit p**sed off with their customer service so far tbh and i haven't even been with them a full month yet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

On my3 I disable international roaming and then allow data roaming in the phone. This solves the problem as described by the op - ROI roaming without annoying popups.

Advertisement