Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Smaller Frame - but where to buy ?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

My current bike is a 56cm Felt T23 - Similar spec to this

http://www.trifuel.com/Detailed/t23-2684.php

Specifications
    Frame: Felt T23 Airo Superlite Custom Tubing, with carbon seat stays.
    Fork: Carbon Aerodynamic Blade design.
    Stem: Felt ST 3D Forged alloy.
    Handlebars: Felt 6061 Alloy, 44cm, with new tape.
    Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 10 speed.
    F/R derailleuirs: Shimano Ultegra.
    Brake calipers: Shimano Ultegra,
    Seat Post: Felt Carbon SM Airo.
    Saddle: Forte Carbon Pro SLX.
    Crank: Truvativ Elita Isis Drive, 55/42.
    Chain: Shimano Ultegra.

My problem is , is that I feel its too big for me , I think a certain shop did a good sales pitch and I didnt research enough

I think going on my height , leg size (5.9 and 30inch inseam) I could do with a 54 or 52 frame. I had a bike fit but im still really stretched to an uncomfortable point on the drops - also getting some lower back tightness

I have a 17.5 mountain bike and that feels much better for comfort -although I realise totally different things

How would I be best achieving this , buy a frame and sell this one

OR

Sell the entire bike and get a new one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

What would your budget be for a frame/frameset?

I feel like a bit of a broken record saying this but it might be worth your while to checkout the framesets on the Canyon site. Have a look in their outlet store for a bargain. They have a bike fit calculator but I felt that it was conservative for me. I'm 5'7'' and went with an Ultimate CF sized 52 despite the calculator suggesting a 50. 52 suits me perfectly.

You could always go down the ebay route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Lemag wrote: »
    What would your budget be for a frame/frameset?

I feel like a bit of a broken record saying this but it might be worth your while to checkout the framesets on the Canyon site. Have a look in their outlet store for a bargain. They have a bike fit calculator but I felt that it was conservative for me. I'm 5'7'' and went with an Ultimate CF sized 52 despite the calculator suggesting a 50. 52 suits me perfectly.

You could always go down the ebay route.

For the frame prob about 600 or so - all depends on what I sell the old one for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

dario28 wrote: »
    For the frame prob about 600 or so - all depends on what I sell the old one for

Canyon frameset is probably outside your budget then*. The bike fit calculator linked here myself and others have found to be quite good. There's a fair bit of detail in it.

*unless you go for one of their Alu framesets. I've never used one of these so I can't really comment on the fit. The quality should be good though. I recently got an Alu MTB from them and it's just lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I'm in a similar predicament myself regarding a frame that is a bit too big for me, especially as I spent a small fortune kitting it all out.

I've decided to go for a brand new Boardman on the Bike to Work scheme, get the tax relief and sell my original bike to get a few quid back.

shamwari wrote: »
    I'm in a similar predicament myself regarding a frame that is a bit too big for me, especially as I spent a small fortune kitting it all out.

I've decided to go for a brand new Boardman on the Bike to Work scheme, get the tax relief and sell my original bike to get a few quid back.

Mine is already on bike to work - so need to sell and buy !

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    Canyon frameset is probably outside your budget then*. The bike fit calculator linked here myself and others have found to be quite good. There's a fair bit of detail in it.

*unless you go for one of their Alu framesets. I've never used one of these so I can't really comment on the fit. The quality should be good though. I recently got an Alu MTB from them and it's just lovely.

I did the measurements and got the attached.....So im prob on a 1cm or so too big frame.....do ya think a shorter stem and slight saddle adjustment would do the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

No need for a new bike Dario..... Problem Solved.

nycpax.jpg

As a bonus, you get to out-cool Danger if you use them in the gym. :)

Nate

Advertisement