Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Ricky Run

Options
  • 15-12-2010 11:12am

Good film about the career of Ricky Williams on ESPN last night.

Quite moving to see him battle his demons. He came across as being very eloquent and quite intelligent, yet a man who has had very difficult battles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Good documentary, i'm a fan of Ricky and i wish him the best, but his life is very sad.

The 30 for 30 documentary series is awesome, Bill Simmons has done an excellent job on them, up there with what NFL Films puts out. Some of my favourites were the 4 days in October one, the Len Bias one, the best that never was Marcus Dupree.

I really want to see the Allen Iverson one, but i cant find it anywhere and also the Steve Bartman one that has yet to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Pony Excess is still one of the best ones I've seen. It's about SMU and the infamous death penalty they received in the 80's and the resulting fallout. Fantastic doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I didn't enjoy the 4 Days in Oct one. Just like the Len Bias one it went in because of the Boston Sports Guy, although the Bias one was better done. The 4 Days wasn't enjoyable for me, maybe if your A Sox fan but otherwise no.

The Billy Fox one and the U are my favourites thus far from what I've seen on ESPN. Hopefully I'll catch the Williams one over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Pony Excess is still one of the best ones I've seen. It's about SMU and the infamous death penalty they received in the 80's and the resulting fallout. Fantastic doc.

I have that dvr'd so i must check it out but i'm flying home tomorrow so it'll have to be in the new year.

Here are some clips of Marcus Dupree playing for OU:

But the best clip was when he was 14 playing HS football, on his very first play, returning a kickoff for a TD.

The guy was huge and incredibly fast, Jonah Lomu-esque

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Enjoyed the doc. on SMU, though it all seemed very familiar, with Reggie Bush a few years ago, and Cam Newton this year, they're battling the same problem all the time. The style of the programme was slightly off putting, though, all fast paced jump cuts, tension filled music from beginning to end, it was a bit over-done. Great story though.

Good one on last night too, about THe U, Miami University in the Eighties and Ninties, it's always a good watch to see a previously mediocre programme turned into a national champion. Lots of famous alums there, Vilma, Reggie Wayne, Ed Reed, I even think The Rock went there, didn't he? ESPN do a really good job of taking sports seriously and making feature length programmes about these topics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

fisgon wrote: »
    Good one on last night too, about THe U, Miami University in the Eighties and Ninties, it's always a good watch to see a previously mediocre programme turned into a national champion. Lots of famous alums there, Vilma, Reggie Wayne, Ed Reed, I even think The Rock went there, didn't he? ESPN do a really good job of taking sports seriously and making feature length programmes about these topics.

Yup, Rock went there alright. Some good stuff in his "autobiography" released some years ago. I use the term lightly though, it was WWE release and a lot of it was in "The Rock" character, but the bits where he talks about his time playing football was entertaining, especially when he moved to Canada to play!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hazys wrote: »
    Good documentary, i'm a fan of Ricky and i wish him the best, but his life is very sad.

The 30 for 30 documentary series is awesome, Bill Simmons has done an excellent job on them, up there with what NFL Films puts out. Some of my favourites were the 4 days in October one, the Len Bias one, the best that never was Marcus Dupree.

I really want to see the Allen Iverson one, but i cant find it anywhere and also the Steve Bartman one that has yet to come out.

+1 on all of that. the clip where they are promoting them shows the Bartman one where they say he is the one true fan makes me want to see it even more.

another one I really like was the tale of the Escobars. really insightful into a lot of columbia, not just sport, at the time.

great series in all tho

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

The Iversen programme was ok but it kind of focused on the upbringing of Iversen as opposed to his talents and his ego.

My fav so far apart from Run Ricky ya hippy hero was 'The Guru of Go' with Paul Westhead and LMU.

What a sad story and the director was spot on and Shakespearean drama's pale into droll insignificance really.

Advertisement