Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending alcohol by post

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Ok so...
    A friend of a friend of mine in Canada took a liking to the drink Buckfast whilst over here.
    Specifically the irish brown bottle version (its available in the UK in green bottles, and the ingredients are slightly different)
    I was asked to post a bottle of it to a friend in england who will visit him this xmas.
    Having wrapped it up well, put it in a box etc, i brought it to the post office only to be told it could not be sent.
    Is there any way to send alcohol abroad?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

wrap it up.. go back to the post office, and dont tell them whats inside

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Ok so...
    A friend of a friend of mine in Canada took a liking to the drink Buckfast whilst over here.
    Specifically the irish brown bottle version (its available in the UK in green bottles, and the ingredients are slightly different)
    I was asked to post a bottle of it to a friend in england who will visit him this xmas.
    Having wrapped it up well, put it in a box etc, i brought it to the post office only to be told it could not be sent.
    Is there any way to send alcohol abroad?

There should be no problem with sending it but (if their laws are like here) they might have to pay duty on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

pa990 wrote: »
    wrap it up.. go back to the post office, and dont tell them whats inside
    Had considered this, but also sending a USB key and I was told it would be chucked. Also, don't packages get xrayed?
    If anyone has done this sucessfully i'd consider giving it a go.
    matrim wrote: »
    There should be no problem with sending it but (if their laws are like here) they might have to pay duty on it
    I'm only trying to send it to the friend in the UK. Don't think they'd have to pay duty.However, says on An Post's website:
    9. Do not send
    Never send liquids outside of the Republic of Ireland using any of our services. We cannot accept liquids due to IATA regulations.
    and also
    Prohibited Items
    Prohibited:
    The below items are NOT acceptable for transport by An Post or DHL under any circumstances for operational and legal reasons:

Alcoholic beverages, animals, animal products......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

How odd. Just a few months ago I wrapped up some beer and sent it to the UK in an envelope, with "Beer" written on the contents declaration, and it arrived.

Mind you, it probably would have been cheaper to book a plane ticket and bring it myself.

Advertisement