Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Macbook Pro

Options
  • 14-12-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Right i know this comes up alot but i still am not sure on two issues.

First of all..i am getting a gift of a macbook and that person is sending it to me. Will i have to pay duty? I am not seeking advice on tax evasion.

Also.. for anyone that does have an american macbook in use here in Ireland- is the keyboard layout annoying and also.. is there a shortcut to the "€" key?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Will i have to pay duty? ...
    As a general rule yes, figure on Duty + Shipping + VAT + Customs Clearance Fee. FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, etc all act as customs clearance agents for Revenue for inbound shipments.
    ... is the keyboard layout annoying ...
    It can be.
    ... is there a shortcut to the "€" key? ...
    Open 'System Preferences...', click on 'International' preference pane, click 'Input Menu', set 'Character Palette' check-box to on, set 'Keyboard Viewer' check-box to on and set 'Show Input Menu In Menu Bar' check-box to on.

These will now appear in the menu-bar on the right allowing you to customise keyboards, access short-cuts, cycle between keyboard layouts, show you what the modifier keys will give you for each key-board position and select input source names.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

My MBP is american, the keyboard isn't much different, infact i prefer the american layout, to get the euro symbol you press "alt/option + 2"

I didn't pay duty as i brought it in a suitcase, if you try get the person to sign the package as a gift. They might go easy on the duty then. (but i may be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

From what I remember, you don't have to pay duty on gifts. this system is abused by many for tax evasion. If it genuinely is a gift, you may want to be able to prove it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Last time I checked, there was 0% Duty on computers, but don't quote me on that. 21% VAT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

American keyboard on mine is no bother. The only difference for everyday use is the location of @ and €. Cheaper macbooks rule :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

whiterebel wrote: »
    Last time I checked, there was 0% Duty on computers ...
    It probably is but they'll still go through the caculation process with zero as the Duty, meaning they'll bill for (Purchase Price + Shipping Charges) * 21% + Customs Clearance Fee + VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Cheers for the replies folks!

Yeah, it is an actuall gift so if i do have to pay the duty and vat - im not gonna complain too much! Would just like to know however.

Glad to hear the keyboard layout is not too much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

im going to New York for xmas

wheres the cheapest place to buy a macbook pro or does it matter?

Just I was going to buy one in Jersey Gardens as the sales tax is lower there

anyone any advice on buying one from new york?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I bought mine in the apple store next to central park and FAO schwartz, I got it there because they were guaranteed to have the spec one i wanted, and they also provide the upgrade service in shop which is good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mathepac wrote: »
    It probably is but they'll still go through the caculation process with zero as the Duty, meaning they'll bill for (Purchase Price + Shipping Charges) * 21% + Customs Clearance Fee + VAT.

I know, I used to do Customs clearance for a living. I was just saying to the OP that it may be 0%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement