Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biased surveys ?

Options
  • 14-12-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Report in The Examiner today that a survey commissioned by An Post shows that "most Irish people like receiving junk unsolicited marketing mail"

Can't help thinking that that's a "survey" that's just rigged to convince other companies to sign up to stuff that ends up in my recycle bin unread.

So

1) Does anyone here actually like junk mail ?

2) Any other examples of blatantly biased results that are "coincidentally" exactly what the commissioning agent/company would have wanted ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Helps get the fire started. Never read it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Report in The Examiner today that a survey commissioned by An Post shows that "most Irish people like receiving junk unsolicited marketing mail"

Can't help thinking that that's a "survey" that's just rigged to convince other companies to sign up to stuff that ends up in my recycle bin unread.

So

2) Any other examples of blatantly biased results that are "coincidentally" exactly what the commissioning agent/company would have wanted ?

I know a guy who works in junk mail (in the US). He'll stop at nothing to convince people he's providing a valuable public service informing people about their options, and thinks that people who get angry about junk mail are crazy.

Of course, everyone hates him.

I saw a survey that said of the 21 people who came in to an irish dentist after getting dentistry abroad, 16 of them reported problems with their teeth.

Which is accurate as far as it goes, except that it doesn't cover how many people went abroad in the first place, and also what or where stuff was done. It's also too small a sample, even if it was accurate. If 21 Irish people go into a dentist, they probably have something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

1. No - hate Junk mail

2. All surveys, have a strong chance of being inaccurate for so many reasons i wont bother mentioning.

Remember hearing about a guy in america that lived in the middle of nowhere - he signed up to thousands of junk mail things over the internet - essentially junk subscriptions - so he had all this junk mail arriving to his door everyday which he burned and used to heat his home for free. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Any other examples of blatantly biased results that are "coincidentally" exactly what the commissioning agent/company would have wanted ?

This springs to mind:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

biko wrote: »
    Helps get the fire started.

If only we could say the same about Airtricity salesmen. Damn lazy gits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Some companies go to agencies and say I want a survey with these results so the agency script a questionaire to get those results. Its no secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A survey I commissioned earlier, revealed that 99.99% of people questioned, enjoyed inhaling my Farts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This guy is on the frontlines of the junk mail war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

chin_grin wrote: »
    This guy is on the frontlines of the junk mail war.

The unleased the spam bots on the website ...
    Dear everyone:
    After a hiatus, and some brief inactivity by the admins, we've come back to see that the website's pagerank attracted a large amount of spam. The reach of these spammers wasn't simply the standard "make it bigger" spam, but rather, they posted things that were illegal. (imagine the kind of stuff you don't want to see on the internet, and multiply it by a hundred million posts). We decided it's safer for everyone if we take the forums down, at least for the time being. Our appologies for any offense taken by the content of these spammers. Thanks for your continued support,
    The Admins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

msg11 wrote: »
    The unleased the spam bots on the website ...

Site loads grand for me. Then again I do have a spam filter.....oh ho ho ho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement