Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Manga in Ireland

Options
  • 14-12-2010 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

After reading this post, I just got thinking: IS there anywhere in Ireland that sells manga that hasn't been translated to English? I highly doubt it since there wouldn't really be much of a market, and it's not like I really need manga in Japanese or anything but still... curiousity :P

So anyone ever come across any? Anyone read the original texts? The only manga in Japanese I have is the re-printed Sailor Moon series - and that was only cause the translated version was done really, really badly. Bought those off amazon.jp and they cost a bomb >_<

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

...You can get 2nd hand French FLCL in Chapters if that's worth anything to you?

There's absolutely no sane reason to stock untranslated manga here, there's no market for it here and you know it. As for seeing it in person, I do have the limited edition Vol. 6 of Welcome to the NHK because the game comes with it, that's all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

got a 2 year old Weekly Shonen Magazine issue that i was given on a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ah yea, I know there's no market whatsoever for it but was just wondering if anyone had spotted any lying around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

There was some Japanese issues of Naurto in chapters a while back. I think they're gone now though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Eason in Athlone had some raw Japanese manga once. I couldnt believe my eyes :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

If you are looking for some I doubt it’s much hassle to send.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Konata wrote: »
    Ah yea, I know there's no market whatsoever for it but was just wondering if anyone had spotted any lying around :D

I am actually curious too. I think they might have had Japanese language manga in a Chinese shop in Bray or it could of been Chinese. I would of imagine Chinese manga being sold in Chinese and Oriental stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I remember there used to be a load downstairs in Sub City on Exchequer street years ago. I dunno if even the shop is still there though...The number was 01-6771902 if anyone is curious enough, give it a ring. I can't be bothered :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Seeing as there's not even a massive market for english comics you'd be hard pressed finding direct imports from Japan. Hell France is only over the water and it's next to impossible to find a decent selection of french stuff outside of the French Library. The odd second hand stuff shows up in some of the shops but any shop trying to sell direct imports legally would end up paying so much in import costs that they wouldn't be able to sell it for any reasonable price. A4 imports art supplies from Japan but the cost is so stupid that they can only bring a small amount in at a time to avoid massive import costs.

It's either order it online and pay the postage costs [there are a few cheaper options then amazon.jp if your good at figuring out non-english websites] or do a day trip to Paris and hit up Bookoff for cheap second Japanese comics or try any of the massive French comic book shops for french translations, they have a much bigger selection of Japanese stuff due to the massive comics scene in France plus you can grab some amazing French comics as well :D. I treated myself to day over via Eurostar couple of weekends ago to see the massive Moebius expo and had to stop buying comics purely because I physically couldn't carry any more :p

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Forbidden Planet have been known to import one or 2 artbooks but at crazy prices...plus they are art books, so not much Japanese :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Found some French stuff in Chapters a while ago second hand. This to be precise: http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=2961. Had never heard of it before, but got it on the spur of the moment on account of it being cheap and in French :P.

As for raw Japanese copies of stuff, never seen any of them around before sadly. Who knows, Chapters is a lottery, you'll never know what'll show up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ami1989

The new translation of Sailor Moon is amazing :D

Advertisement