Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a small dog

Options
  • 14-12-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hiya!

I'm looking for a small dog, doesn't have to be a puppy but it has to be a small bread, for my daughter.

She's moved away from home and is really missing the pets, she suffers from depression and both ourselves and her doctor feel that a dog will give her that reason to get up and go.

Thing is we don't have €70 or €100 to spend so we can't go to a dog home.

You could say that if we don't have €70 how are we going to look after the dog, but I can't remember the last time we were able to spend €70 on anything, but our pets are still very well looked after.

Where would be the best place to look for one, we have asked aground but people giving away dogs are big dogs, nothing small.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Would your daughter be in a position to help out at a shelter? She could walk dogs for them which would get her out of the house and make her feel useful since she knows the dogs are counting on her.

Fostering may also be an option. It could lead to an adoption and if it was a shelter that knew her and she helped out with, they might be able to do something for her on the adoption fee.

I will just say that apart from the depression side, it may be worth speaking to your daughter before giving her a dog if you haven't done so already. Just for the simple fact that they're such a huge commitment, she needs to be involved and able to decide on a dog (age, breed, personality etc.) depending on her circumstances. Like, a puppy won't work if she's out all day whereas an older dog like a greyhound might, as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Yes was going to suggest working in a shelter aswell. Fostering is great aswell and will keep her mind and body busy. I would def agree with above post, talk to your daughter first, get her involved with you in the search for a new dog. Best of luck with it. Keep us updated on how ye get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

00112984 wrote: »
    Would your daughter be in a position to help out at a shelter? She could walk dogs for them which would get her out of the house and make her feel useful since she knows the dogs are counting on her.

She lives in Newcastle West, there isn't anything around.

She would love it though :)
    Fostering may also be an option. It could lead to an adoption and if it was a shelter that knew her and she helped out with, they might be able to do something for her on the adoption fee.

No, we feel that she needs something that she can get close to and that will always be there with her.
    I will just say that apart from the depression side, it may be worth speaking to your daughter before giving her a dog if you haven't done so already. Just for the simple fact that they're such a huge commitment, she needs to be involved and able to decide on a dog (age, breed, personality etc.) depending on her circumstances. Like, a puppy won't work if she's out all day whereas an older dog like a greyhound might, as an example.

We have spoken about the pets, she misses them terribly, she's well used to pets including dogs as she grow up surrounded by them, because she is in a flat with a small garden, she needs a small breed.

Sorry the quating didn't work to well, not sure how its done :(

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Yes was going to suggest working in a shelter aswell. Fostering is great aswell and will keep her mind and body busy. I would def agree with above post, talk to your daughter first, get her involved with you in the search for a new dog. Best of luck with it. Keep us updated on how ye get on.

like i said we did talk about pets already, she would love to help out if there was something near, but the fostering would be to hard on her and she needs something there.

Depression is something i know about and pets are a great help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, keep an eye out on the rehoming thread for something suitable at the top of this forum in the stickies there. There are sometimes dogs looking for a good home due to change of circumstances of the owner. Then there's the pounds but you are still going to have to pay the dog license fee, for vaccinations and possibly neutering, things that are all included in the rehoming fees from a shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Pounds don't charge very much to rehome dogs but it may cost a good bit to get the dog into tip top health (many dogs come into pounds in a terrible state and at minimum will need vaccinating, neutering etc.). Also, you (or your daughter) will be getting a dog with an unknown past, which is often not a problem at all, but you'll need to keep this in mind.

Looking into a dog from a rescue is probably your best bet - you will have some information on the dogs personality and most rescues vaccinate, chip and neuter the dogs before rehoming them. The donation fee is usually less than it would cost you to do all of this yourself so there are benefits to handing over the lump sum if you are getting a healthy and well looked after dog.

Another option is looking through the "rehoming" section above and on other animal related websites for a dog that may suit - you will get a full history, am insight into the dogs personality and most people don't want any money as long as the dog is going to a good home.

Just a quick thing - it may be a good idea to wait until after Christmas/New Years to go looking for a dog for your daughter. Over the festive season people are not in their usual routine and placing a new dog into a situation that is not how it normally is can be confusing and stressful for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

No donedeal links allowed.

OP, keep an eye out on the rehoming thread for something suitable at the top of this forum in the stickies there. There are sometimes dogs looking for a good home due to change of circumstances of the owner. Then there's the pounds but you are still going to have to pay the dog license fee, for vaccinations and possibly neutering, things that are all included in the rehoming fees from a shelter.

Will do thank you.

Yes we do have our dogs but we buy the vaccinations for the dogs at the quemist and our neighbour gives it to them, she's a vet nurse, its a lot cheaper.

No need for neutering as he or she won't be out unless on a lead or in the small back garden.

license fee that's every year, so it as to be done.

Pounds don't charge very much to rehome dogs but it may cost a good bit to get the dog into tip top health (many dogs come into pounds in a terrible state and at minimum will need vaccinating, neutering etc.). Also, you (or your daughter) will be getting a dog with an unknown past, which is often not a problem at all, but you'll need to keep this in mind.

All my pets have come from the streets:)

[/QUOTE]
    Looking into a dog from a rescue is probably your best bet - you will have some information on the dogs personality and most rescues vaccinate, chip and neuter the dogs before rehoming them. The donation fee is usually less than it would cost you to do all of this yourself so there are benefits to handing over the lump sum if you are getting a healthy and well looked after dog.[/QUOTE]

As before we buy the vaccinations ourselves and apart from the buster, the ennicial ones are a few weeks apart, witch gives us and her time to safe up for them.

[/QUOTE]Just a quick thing - it may be a good idea to wait until after Christmas/New Years to go looking for a dog for your daughter. Over the festive season people are not in their usual routine and placing a new dog into a situation that is not how it normally is can be confusing and stressful for all involved.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately or fortunately :) we don't have mad Xmas.

• Advertisement

Still can't get this quote thing right, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

There is always an option of her fostering a guide dog pup....no expenses loads of support and something positive for her to get involved in. She could do it long/short term www.guidedogs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I would second getting a dog from the pound but also checking out a subsidised clinic around you where your daughter could bring the dog for any treatment it needs. Your vet nurse neighbour could very well be a huge asset when choosing a dog, any chance she would go to the pound with you? She'd be able to see illness/diseases and might be willing to do a quick exam on any dog you like the look of so you would have more information before you make a final decision. It might be a way of avoiding getting a really ill dog that is going to need financial committment straight away for vet care.

Depression is something I'm very familiar with so definately getting a dog will make a massive difference to your daughter. One of my friend's life was literally saved when she got her first dog. I know you're used to dogs with unknown history but I also know that things are 100% harder to cope with when you have depression so I'd suggest you be her backup for this new dog and be there to help her with any housetraining/obedience training/walking when she's not able. I'm sure you're already got her back but I know how easy it is to get frustrated and upset when depressed so any extra help you could give with the dog will mean she can really begin to enjoy her new friend. I would recommend more her getting her own dog rather than fostering. I personally think you need to be very mentally strong to be able to foster, it's very hard to care for a dog and then have to hand it over to a new owner at the best of times. I have 6 dogs and it still wrenches handing over one of my foster pups. In the future she may like to go down the fostering road but I dont think it'd be a good idea at the moment.

That's my 2 cent worth, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Also keep in contact with your local and other vets in the area. They often have ads for pets looking for homes and they may have a bit of back ground on them.

Also you could contact Animal Help Net in Tralee (they hold an weekly adoption day on Wednesday in Pet Mania in Tralee) and Animal Rescue Animal Heaven (www.ahar.ie) . I dont know what their adoption fees are but they are worth checking out.

Re:AHAR its best to ring them re dogs as the dogs on their site need to be
    good luck.

I would also recommend a greyhound as they are generally very easy dogs which dont need loads of space once they get adequate walks (2 x 30 mins) each day. Some of the greys are very small and its amazing how even the big guys make themselves look smaller when curling up on your sofa:D see www.kerrygreyhoundconnection.ie for more info.

Sorry for the Kerry slant but these are the ones I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

+1 for a rescue greyhound! Amazing, affectionate pets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Take a look in the rehoming thread, someone posted about a Jack Russell pup there.
    I also know the effect a pet can have on someone with depression, it can literally give them the will to live, to get up and go out everyday.
    Best of luck with your search, I hope it helps your daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 coolvibes

I have lovely jack russal type dog, my living situation has changed. Would be willing to give with kennal, food bedding lead, to loving home.

Advertisement