Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macbook memory qs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, it only has two ports, both of which are already in use. So 2x512 isn't really any use to you. It would result in less RAM than you already have.

It depends on what model you have, but if its 2008 or later (or if it only came with 2GB) then it should be able to take 4GB, i.e. 2x2GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

cheers, helpful as ever.

Yes it came with two - I will have to look to see prices on crucial then to see how much 2x2 gigs of ram as it can be sluggish at times especially with virtualbox.

SL can use all four gigs for most things? Win7 can definitely use it as i could give it 2-3 gigs of its own.

ram is cheap-ish anyway once i know it actually will work if i get it.

could it handle 4x2 or is that even possible? (for 64bit apps)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oh yes, SL will use all 4GB if it needs it.

What do you mean 4x2? It only has two ports so it can't take 4x2GB. Do you mean 2x4GB? No. SL can handle it alright, but the MacBook can't. Even the latest model Plasticbook only supports 4GB.

2x4 - i rushed that post a bit.

Okay I will look into crucial - I think I could do with the extra memory.

70 euro for 2x2 from crucial - it should use all of that memory and using anything by adobe, eclipse or virtualbox really needs that extra ram.

Expensive enough though.

Firefox, dreamweaver, virtualbox and neo/openoffice could definitely use that boost.

Second thoughts - its well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Try pricing Kingston RAM, it's usually cheaper.

cheers.

62 dollars which translates to 7 ish euro cheaper but its from america so delivery would be longer and probably have a delivery charge of the price diff or more plus ive never heard of them i trust crucial.

Does the new base macbook pro only have two ram slots too?

Advertisement