Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Sport awards -> Dan Martin

Options
  • 14-12-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

So I see the list of nominations here....
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/2010/1214/sportawards.html

after the year Dan Martin had...
    1st, Tre Valli Varesine (1.HC)
    1st overall, Jersey yellow.svg Tour of Poland (ProTour)
    * 1st, Stage 5
    1st, Japan Cup (1.HC)

etc

can anyone understand how he does not get a nomination? Cycling just not consider a true sport in Ireland anymore? Does he have to win the TourdeFrance before he gets noticed??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

jsoc wrote: »
    ..... Does he have to win the TourdeFrance before he gets noticed??
    Unfortunately yes. Unless you win 9 Monuments and a Grand Tour or maybe do the Triple in the same year cycling is just (unfortunately) a minority sport. A bit like boxing :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

He doesn't deserve to be there, the others all had fantastic years especially Katie Taylor, G Mac and Tony McCoy (although I don't think he does bad years). The only name I think is missing is Paul Cook.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

his problem is his names not roche :p

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭pantani

well he is definitely half a roche(his mother being stephen's sister).anyway joking aside cycling in this country is not considered any more!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jsoc

He doesn't deserve to be there, the others all had fantastic years especially Katie Taylor, G Mac and Tony McCoy (although I don't think he does bad years). The only name I think is missing is Paul Cook.

So what would be considered a fantastic year for an irish cyclist to get a nomination? :confused:...I thought the results mentioned at the start would have been good enough.....important international race wins, has not been seen since the days of Kelly/Roche

my opinion is he's just not considered Irish enough and cycling is not a big sport in Ireland...pity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

So what would be considered a fantastic year for an irish cyclist to get a nomination? :confused:...I thought the results mentioned at the start would have been good enough.....important international race wins, has not been seen since the days of Kelly/Roche

my opinion is he's just not considered Irish enough and cycling is not a big sport in Ireland...pity

Whilst Dan Martin did have a good year, I would consider McDowells US Open win, Katie Taylors world title win, Tony McCoys Grand National and champion jockey win to be ahead of Dan Martins acheivements this year. What would he have to do? Get into the top ten of Grand Tour or come close to winning a classic or monument. That not Irish enough, I don't think comes into it and no, cycling wouldn't be a well followed sport in Ireland but does have a good participation at leisure level. We've had good results in recent years in rugby, soccer, cricket, horse racing, golf, boxing, athletics and I've probably forgotton a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Those wins unfortunately are just not prestigious enough ( as a big fan they are a great start). His day however will come ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

sy wrote: »
    Those wins unfortunately are just not prestigious enough ( as a big fan they are a great start). His day however will come ;)

Agreed. Dan had a good year and I'm sure that 2011 will be an even better one for him and for all fans of Irish cycling. But before himself or Roche get lots of notice in the Irish media they will have to win a stage in the tour. Deignan's win in the Vuelta was hardly noticed. I'm amazed when I see Irish newspapers with up to 10 pages on English soccer and just a few columns on most Irish sports. English second division soccer get more inches than the Ras or Tour of Ireland. But as in politics the people get what the people want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Agreed. Dan had a good year and I'm sure that 2011 will be an even better one for him and for all fans of Irish cycling. But before himself or Roche get lots of notice in the Irish media they will have to win a stage in the tour. Deignan's win in the Vuelta was hardly noticed. I'm amazed when I see Irish newspapers with up to 10 pages on English soccer and just a few columns on most Irish sports. English second division soccer get more inches than the Ras or Tour of Ireland. But as in politics the people get what the people want.

thats not just cycling....its pretty much every sport thats not involving a football, a golf ball or horse racing....

whens the last time you saw a big feature on squash or handball or badminton or basketball or martial arts of any description.

its the way it is, the papers write about spectator sports.

My own thoughts were that Eoin Morgan definitely deserves a nomination....no question....and I've never played cricket in my life.

Bill2673 wrote: »
    My own thoughts were that Eoin Morgan definitely deserves a nomination....no question....and I've never played cricket in my life.

not since joining them across the water :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd say it's because his results aren't high profile enough. I'd imagine most people would see cycling beginning and ending with the TdF - if he performs in that (maybe wins a spotty jersey) his profile might increase.

As for not being Irish enough, he's as Irish as McDowell.......

My vote would be for McDowell. Katie Taylor and McCoy had a great year, but McDowell's win in the US Open was a landmark one.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

Jawgap wrote: »
    My vote would be for McDowell. Katie Taylor and McCoy had a great year, but McDowell's win in the US Open was a landmark one.

Me too. I think he's nominated for the BBC award as well. T'would be interesting if he wins both!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'd say it's because his results aren't high profile enough. I'd imagine most people would see cycling beginning and ending with the TdF - if he performs in that (maybe wins a spotty jersey) his profile might increase.

As for not being Irish enough, he's as Irish as McDowell.......

I would argue that one. Taylor is amore deserving winner in my opinion.
    Maybe, you the members of CI should urge the board to write to the head of sport highlighting the victories of Dan and great performances of Nico and ask how the shortlist was drawn up why werent they on it etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Hes just there to make up the numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wasn't Deignan nominated last year?

Anyway, Martin didn't do quite well enough compared to most on there to be worthy of nomination. Agreed that RTE only sees success in cycling as a Grand Tour stage/overall winner.

Interesting that the 'North' has quite a few involved. I count 4, with Tommy Bowe just about on this side of the border. McDowell and McIllroy have indicated a preference for representing GB in London 2012 with Ireland seemingly as a fallback if they're out qualified by the English golfers. I find that insulting. Its time these guys and many others up North made up their minds who they want to represent for good and stop having the best of both worlds.

Katie Taylor deserves the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

Well at least Martin's nomination shows that they recognise that there's cycle sport outside of the TDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

Well at least Martin's nomination shows that they recognise that there's cycle sport outside of the TDF.

He wasn't nominated!

Advertisement