Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send me your gold bars for my 'gold bar museum'

Options
  • 14-12-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I am wondering does anyone know which museum this advert is in relation to ?

http://www.buyandsell.ie/search/for-sale/hobbies-and-collectables/dublin/-/urgently-required-irish-republican
    URGENTLY REQUIRED IRISH REPUBLICAN
    County : Dublin
    Description

MEMORABILIA Required for Museum Display: Fenian, Rising, War of Independence, Long Kesh, Recent Troubles etc Letters, Newspapers, Posters, Photos, Prints, Medals etc Pay above market value for special items. Courier Collection. Ph 087 0924116

I have heard of a scam in use in america where a collector advertises to ww2 widows about his private museum and then approaches them and says 'I would be honoured to show your dead husbands items in my museum' this person then gets the items and puts them on display in his basement/garage for a week or two before selling them.

So as regards the above 'for my museum' does anyone know if this is a legitimate museum ? If so which one - if it is not a legitimate museum does anyone know the collector behind it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

You would think if it is legitimate he would at least put the name of the museum in the advert,anyone know where this place is suppose to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Ah finally.

I've got loads of gold bars just never knew what to do with them. Where do I send them to? Thanks.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

if the guy is a collector and intended to just gain stuff for his own collection and pay a fair price, his ad would get the same amount of views. if he is a collector scamming he is only doing so to buy things at much lower than market price, or asking the owner to "donate" the items to his museum.

why not ring him up and inquire what museum he works for, then just ring the museum to cross check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Mousey- wrote: »
    if the guy is a collector and intended to just gain stuff for his own collection and pay a fair price, his ad would get the same amount of views. if he is a collector scamming he is only doing so to buy things at much lower than market price, or asking the owner to "donate" the items to his museum.

why not ring him up and inquire what museum he works for, then just ring the museum to cross check it.

Yeah, where's the fun in that though ?

I had already sent an email specifically asking which museum and that got no reply, also at the time I started the thread I didn't feel like giving this person a call. It was more to warn others of what was going on & find out if anyone would know who is behind this. Plus it's not like the militaria forum was running out of space for new threads at the time.

Advertisement