Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day Dessert Suggestions

Options
  • 14-12-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hiya,

I'm looking for some dessert suggestions. We will be having the obligatory meringues with cream and fruit, but I want to make something a little different too. Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Made Panna Cotta last year with winter berries, god it was so good! Its just sweet enought to finish the dinner off but not heavy at all, and simple to make!

1 vanilla pod
    200ml double cream
    200ml whipping cream
    110g caster sugar
    2 gelatine leaves
    250g mixed seasonal berries
    Juice of ½ lemon
    Mint sprigs, to serve
    Icing sugar, to serve
    - Line six ramekins, each about 7cm in diameter and 5cm deep, with cling film. Begin by splitting the vanilla pod and removing the seeds with the back of a knife. Pour the two creams into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, adding the split vanilla pod and seeds and 50g of the caster sugar.
    -Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water. Remove the boiled cream mixture from the heat and remove the vanilla pod. Gently squeeze the gelatine and add to the cream, whisking thoroughly until dissolved. Pass through a strainer and pour into ramekins, making sure the seeds are evenly distributed.
    -Cover the ramekins with more cling film to prevent a skin from forming, and place in the fridge until set (one to two hours).
    -Place the berries, lemon juice and remaining caster sugar in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring frequently. Carefully turn the panna cottas out of the ramekins, placing each one in the centre of a small pasta bowl. Use a spoon to spread the compote around each panna cotta. Garnish with the mint and whole berries and dust with the icing sugar.

I put a good glug of Grand Marnier in the berry mixture, and it gave it a nice kick(you need a bit of alcohol on Christmas day!!!):D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Are meringues obilgatory on Christmas Day?? We have trifle every year, very good trifle is not that heavy, and it's so lovely after dinner :) We use homemade Swiss Roll and bananas in sugarfree jelly (diabetic member of family), homemade custard, fresh cream and sprinkles, yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

They are obligatory in our house anyway!

Mmmm that panacotta sounds yum. I've never had it before, but having seen it on TV the look of the texture kind of puts me off. What kind of texture is it? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I thought it was trifle that was obligatory at Christmas, not merangue (more summery).

anyway in ours this year it is trifle, christmas pudding, christmas cake and cheesecake.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

Why not try Creme Bruleé!
    I must say i'm not the best cook but this was so quick and easy to make and tasted delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Personally I wouldn't put too much effort into it, as you're gonna be stuffed. Make something that will keep if you can't eat it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Mmmm that panacotta sounds yum. I've never had it before, but having seen it on TV the look of the texture kind of puts me off. What kind of texture is it? Thanks!

Its very similar in texture to Creme Brulee or Creme Caramel, but very light and silky, not heavy at all. That recipe i posted serves 6 by the way, very decent portions too. I didn't have enough ramekins so i made them in teacups-turned out pretty nice!

Another thought is Tiramisu, again, very simple to make but great results!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Panna cotta is yummy, had some at Gordan Ramsey's restaurant, Mmmmmm.

Wouldn't even try doing it my self I could not match up to Gordon Ramsey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Baked Alaska. You can make it today and freeze it until the big day.

elgauchobkdalska.jpg

allora66.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

^^^^^^^ That looks good Mmmmmmmmm

My young ladys a diabetic so we have to calm down on the sweet stuff over xmas (all the time really but xmas and easter are really tempting)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Mmm I love Baked Alaska :)

Apple Crumble or Apple Tart maybe? we usually one of those (as well as fruit/cream/ice cream) for us to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Aine5

Baked Alaska. You can make it today and freeze it until the big day.

elgauchobkdalska.jpg

allora66.jpg

I love Baked Alaska.
    Would you mid sharing your recipe? Would love to make this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Baileys Christmas Chip Cookies

Three packets of good quality choc chip cookies
    Bottle of baileys
    fresh whipped cream
    dark choc chopped or grated
    Bar or 2 of flake

Dunk the cookies into the baileys, (the longer you leave the dunk, the stronger the alcohol taste, so not too much) then create a layer in a large glass bowl. A thin layer of cream on top of cookies, followed wih the chunks of dark choc.

Repeat the layers again until you use up ingredients, of course dont forget to pour a glass for yourself.

Decor the top with grated choc or the flake or even with choc buttons.
    Cling film it and leave in fridge overnite.
    It will fuse together somewhat like a veinetta.
    Fab desert for xmas dinner, but it is very heavy , so a large spoon of it with some trifle .... YUMMY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'll be serving Banana Fritters with Vanilla Ice Cream, honey drizzle and toasted almond flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

This year we're having Nigella's Chocolate Pudding with Hot Chocolate Sauce.

It's very easy to make and you can steam it the day before and just warm it up the next day.

The hot chocolate sauce is so easy to make, literally it's just a case of slowly melting the chocolate ingredients in the saucepan and giving it the occasional stir. You could melt the ingredients while eating your main course.

INGREDIENTS
    FOR THE PUDDING

175g plain flour
    1tsp vanilla extract
    40g cocoa powder
    175g caster sugar
    175g soft butter
    60ml plain yogurt
    3 eggs
    2tsp baking powder
    1/2tsp bicarbonate soda
    1.7ltr plastic pudding basin with lid

FOR THE SAUCE
    125g milk chocolate, chopped
    125g dark chocolate, chopped
    250ml double cream
    75g golden syrup
    4tsp vanilla extract

METHOD
    1. Butter your heatproof plastic pudding basin, remembering to grease the lid, too. Make sure you have adequate boiling water in a pan (or a conventional steamer) on the hob to steam the chocolate pud.

2. Put the flour and cocoa powder into a processor and blitz to get rid of any lumps.
    Add all the remaining pudding ingredients and blitz. Take the lid off, scrape it down, then put the lid back on for 3 more long pulses, scrape the chocolate batter into the prepared basin, smooth it down and put on the lid.

Wrap the basin tightly in foil, so no water can get in, and steam in the boiling water in the pan or steamer for 11/2 hours (by which time the pudding will have risen to about 4cm below the lid).

3. To make the sauce, which can be done ahead and reheated before serving, put the sauce ingredients into a pan and place over a gentle heat to melt, stirring every now and again and then whisking, off the heat, at the end, to combine smoothly.
    4. When the pudding is ready, remove it from the pan or steamer without burning yourself, then unwrap from its foil casing, unclick and remove the lid. Put a plate, or a stand, with a slight lip, on top, flip both upside down, so plate and pudding are the right way up, and wiggle off the basin.

5. Pour some hot sauce over the pudding, so that it just covers the top and falls down the side, and pour the rest into a jug or bowl to be served with a spoon.

Here's a link so you can see a picture of it and lick the screen :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1094188/Chocolate-pudding-Christmas-pudding-haters.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

a good ole trifle! had some with irish mist mixed into it at weekend and it was beautiful, custatrd, dream topping and sprinkles mmm!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

this year i am letting the kids make the dessert!!! they are making a simple biscuit cake.

its very simple and lasts well so you can keep it if you have no room lol

simply bash up some digestives, melt some choc add some maple syrup or treacle and mix them all together then leave in the fridge to set. for xmas i add some ginger nut bickies to spice it up a lil bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Would never think of Meringues at Xmas - trifle and Plum pudding and maybe mince pies later on but to be honest deserts hardly get touched in our house after the big Christmas dinner. Just make the traditional deserts to keep my mother happy! If I was just making dinner for ourselves I think I'd quite fancy that panna cotta mentioned by the previous poster. Mmmm!

Advertisement