Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size are my wheels??

Options
  • 14-12-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I need to buy a tube but instead of wheeling the bike up to show the guy I was going to go straight from work. Anyway, there's a sticker on the rim that says:

13/20
    700c
    13x622
    DIN ETRTO

From reading Sheldon Brown I understand that it's a standard "700c" wheel which actually means it has a 622mm bead seat diameter. Grand. But does the 13 x 622 really mean width of the rim is 13mm? I haven't measured but that seems very narrow. Is it enough just to ask for a 700c tube? I'm thinking of upgrading my tires anyway so it'd be handy to know either way.

Thanks.

Comments

Well you know the diameter you want, all you need to know now is the width. This depends on which tyre the tube will be going inside, rather than the wheel (although the range of tyre sizes that can be fitted is in turn dependent on the width of the rim). Look at the side of the tyre and you will find the size marking which should say something like "700c x 25" or "622 x 25". It is the second number that denotes tyre width. If you go to your bike shop and ask them for a tube to fit 700 x (insert your tyre width here) they should be able to sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 DribblingRobot

Right I was thinking about that but the last time I got tyres and tubes I remember the guy saying that all he had that's fit was a twenty-whatever-is-on-it-now. So I think the tyre I have on it is not the exact one the wheel was meant for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What does it say on the side of the tyre?

28 x 622 or something like that as far as I can remember. If I add a margin of error to 28 which already includes his margin of error, then I could end up with a tyre that's too big or small.

Tubes are fairly stretchy and can fit inside a fairly wide range of different tyre sizes. If you get one to fit 700 x 28 you should be ok. If it's way off you can always bring it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Check here - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width - which says that a 13mm rim will take a tyre from 18mm to 25mm. Any road bike tyre at 25 or 23 would be fine.

There is a margin for error in that though, so your 28s are probably fine aswell. I'm using a 32mm tyre on a rim that according to that chart shouldn't take more than a 28mm and have had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

mfdc wrote: »
    Check here - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width - which says that a 13mm rim will take a tyre from 18mm to 25mm. Any road bike tyre at 25 or 23 would be fine.

There is a margin for error in that though, so your 28s are probably fine aswell. I'm using a 32mm tyre on a rim that according to that chart shouldn't take more than a 28mm and have had no problems.

ye it depends on the rim, Im using a 38mm on my 700c 13/19 rim. its a mavic cxp 12, similar to the cxp33 but no braking surface. 28mm should be fine on any road rim

Grand. Thanks lads/lassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Just tell the dude in the shop that you've got those DIN ETRTO
    rims, he'll know what you are talking about. ;)

Advertisement