Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar shop or online?

Options
  • 14-12-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Morning all.
    Hope this is the right section. Looking to buy a new Bass. Been about 8 years since my last purchase. However I'm not finding the Dublin Instrument shops any help or fun at all. Zero interest from them. Now I'm not that old (30), but there would usually be a cash price? Bass I like is Euro349. Shop said Euro320 cash. No case with it though. Online for Euro295 with free delivery and choice of 5 colours. Would you be inclined to support local business or go online? If any of you have recent experience with a purchase let me know.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

While there is no denying that it is a good thing to support local business, these days value and choice are very important. If I could not see what I wanted in the shops in Dublin, then I would have no hesitation buying on line. However, a lot of people prefer to try out a bass before buying. Having said that, I bought two basses on line which I am very happy with. I would have no hesitation in recommending : www.dolphinmusic.co.uk if you decide to go the on line route. You could also check www.adverts.ie Good used bargains to be got there.

Before you dismiss all Dublin shops, have you checked out Guitar Centre ( I think this is what it is called) on Exchequer St. It is on the opposite side to Music Maker and a few doors up towards Sth Gt Georges St., almost at the corner. I called in recently and instantly got friendly vibes from the place. I was actually noticed :eek: and the lads there seemed genuinely interested in assisting in any way they could. A pleasent change indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Rigsby wrote: »

Before you dismiss all Dublin shops, have you checked out Guitar Centre ( I think this is what it is called) on Exchequer St. It is on the opposite side to Music Maker and a few doors up towards Sth Gt Georges St., almost at the corner. I called in recently and instantly got friendly vibes from the place. I was actually noticed :eek: and the lads there seemed genuinely interested in assisting in any way they could. A pleasent change indeed.

I stumbled in there once and despite the place looking nice the first thing I heard was 3 teenagers singing along to a **** 3OH3 song so I never ventured into it again.
    Xmusic out near the redcow has a lot of stuff, but it is eve more of a 'franchise' than musicmaker and that so I'm not sure about customer relations.I usually buy from ebay or adverts when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Darraghnormal

Alicano wrote: »
    Morning all.
    Hope this is the right section. Looking to buy a new Bass. Been about 8 years since my last purchase. However I'm not finding the Dublin Instrument shops any help or fun at all. Zero interest from them. Now I'm not that old (30), but there would usually be a cash price? Bass I like is Euro349. Shop said Euro320 cash. No case with it though. Online for Euro295 with free delivery and choice of 5 colours. Would you be inclined to support local business or go online? If any of you have recent experience with a purchase let me know.
    Many thanks.

Thomann all the way!

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I stumbled in there once and despite the place looking nice the first thing I heard was 3 teenagers singing along to a **** 3OH3 song so I never ventured into it again.

Give them a break !! That could happen in any shop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

buy it in the shop, years ago it would have been ok online, they need your cash now man

• Advertisement

Saila wrote: »
    buy it in the shop, they need your cash now man

Yes, but unfortunately they would need a lot more of it then would be the case on line. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

to be honest i've bought loads from thomann and musictore in the last few years but i've started buying from jimi's music store this year. he's matching thomann prices where possible. and he has the best vintage gear around..also got an excellent collection of second hand gear.. i think you should have a look at his shop. i highly recommend.

http://www.jimismusicstore.ie/Catalogue.aspx?TabID=1004

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If it's a case of a guitar here being anything up to 10/15% more here in a shop, I'll buy it here to support local, but I've see an Cork shop charging double for a bass than what you can buy it online for.

All I've bought recently in bricks and mortar stores are xlr leads, strings and plecs. Depressing really, as it's much nicer to walk in somewhere, try things out and go home satisfied with your purchase. I haven't been into Thomann's shop yet, but having been to every store in NYC, going to a huge music shop is an orgasmic experience. It's like being Joseph Fritzl locked into your own basement for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If it's a case of a guitar here being anything up to 10/15% more here in a shop, I'll buy it here to support local, but I've see an Cork shop charging double for a bass than what you can buy it online for.
    Funnily enough I may have seen the same thing. Was it a G+L bass?
    All I've bought recently in bricks and mortar stores are xlr leads, strings and plecs. Depressing really, as it's much nicer to walk in somewhere, try things out and go home satisfied with your purchase. I haven't been into Thomann's shop yet, but having been to every store in NYC, going to a huge music shop is an orgasmic experience.
    Me too (except for the xlr leads). All of my guitar purchases over the last few years have been online and that's unlikely to change in the future.
    It's like being Joseph Fritzl locked into your own basement for Christmas.
    See now I've got an image in my head of you doing terrible things to the innocent instruments. :mad:
    DEMOT1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Malice_ wrote: »
    Funnily enough I may have seen the same thing. Was it a G+L bass?

A Cort, nice guitar too, but literally double the price.
    See now I've got an image in my head of you doing terrible things to the innocent instruments.

Heh, then you wouldn't have liked me taking a router to my Jem 2 hours after taking deliver of it. Power tools and expensive guitars generally do not a good combination make :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Well, IMHO reading about an instrument, and acquiring the "feel" of the instrument are very different things.

If Im spending <€1000 on a musical instrument, I usually try to try it out in the shop first. When I find the guitar that just feels right to me I usually first check out the online price (screw the "brand" wars and the "dearer price means better guitar" crap....its the musician that makes the instrument sound good, not the other way around!)
    If the inshop and online prices are close in price <50 I will usually go with instore as sometimes you can haggle a free guitar case or something with it to make up part of the difference. If there is a wide difference, I inform the shop of the online price (ebay doesnt count btw!) and see if they can do anything on the price for me. If they cant, then I go online.

The staff in music shops see this happening all the time and you wont be the first or last person to do it to them... in the end its business and that extra €50+ is better off in your pocket than in the shops till!!

If Im spending serious dosh on an instrument than go for the instore IMO. You know what you are getting and will avoid disappointment if the online bought version feels different.

(In my experience, higher range guitars/instruments can differ in "feel" from each other, depending on the player of course. I've known people to experience that "it felt/sounded different in the shop" moment when their shiny new €2000 Telecaster arrived in the post and the guitar wasnt the same as the shop model!)

drumdrum wrote: »
    Well, IMHO reading about an instrument, and acquiring the "feel" of the instrument are very different things.

If Im spending <€1000 on a musical instrument, I usually try to try it out in the shop first. When I find the guitar that just feels right to me I usually first check out the online price (screw the "brand" wars and the "dearer price means better guitar" crap....its the musician that makes the instrument sound good, not the other way around!)
    If the inshop and online prices are close in price <50 I will usually go with instore as sometimes you can haggle a free guitar case or something with it to make up part of the difference. If there is a wide difference, I inform the shop of the online price (ebay doesnt count btw!) and see if they can do anything on the price for me. If they cant, then I go online.

The staff in music shops see this happening all the time and you wont be the first or last person to do it to them... in the end its business and that extra €50+ is better off in your pocket than in the shops till!!

If Im spending serious dosh on an instrument than go for the instore IMO. You know what you are getting and will avoid disappointment if the online bought version feels different.

(In my experience, higher range guitars/instruments can differ in "feel" from each other, depending on the player of course. I've known people to experience that "it felt/sounded different in the shop" moment when their shiny new €2000 Telecaster arrived in the post and the guitar wasnt the same as the shop model!)

I'm sure everyone agrees that it is preferable to "try before you buy". However, with the severe lack of choice ( I can only speak about basses, I assume it is the same for guitars ) in Irish/Dublin shops, people feel that they need to shop online. And before you talk about the recession being the reason for this, let me say it was the same in the boom years. I have bought two basses on line with no problems. So it cant be that bad as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Thanks for all the helpful input fellas.
    I went to that guitar centre place yesterday. As stated earlier it was very friendly and helpful. nothing was a problem for them. Unfortunately there wasn't a bass that did it for me. I explained my recent experience with the competitor shop and they couldn't fathom why they'd let me walk over a bag for the bass. On the thomann website it's even available in 5 different colours!. Still can't decide what to do. I'm not scabby in the slightest. just wanted a case to put the thing in whilst I'm walking through town. But the sorry no can do and shrug of the shoulders just pee'd me off a lil bit. Maybe they don't need my custom?
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

the only thing I'd have to say about them not throwing in a case is that they've already knocked down the price for you, and if they were to throw in a case they'd be making sweet feck all of a profit.

I did work experience in a store in town, and they do try to compete with thomann etc, but thomann buy in such bulk, and they don't have the huge overheads of a store just off one of the busiest streets in the country.
    hell they even order some items FROM thomann.

many people get put off by the huge price tags they put on, but most of the time they're allowed give an 8 percent discount on the thing, you just have to worm them out of it ;)

Fair point stetyrrell, But I'd say a case costs the shop very little to buy in. I would have paid the asking price if they popped it in a case for me. Even a crappy one. But trying to sell a case to me whilst I part with 320euro is a bit del boyish in my opinion. It's the little things that make a customer feel valued, and make you come back time and again. I didn't get this feeling from the shop.
    Appreciate all the input though.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

What I find interesting is that "haggling" seems to be the norm in music shops....even expected almost, but how often do you see people haggling in Ikea or Homebase over furniture, or haggling in Brown Thomas or Dunnes over clothes?

I think that with the recession the music shops had to cut down on the discounts and "freebees" with things. Its not their fault....they do have big costs to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

gear4music.com
    bought a piano for 600 euros on their site, was 900 in my local shop.
    that is even with shipping of a piano from england
    for me that is too good of a saving to pass up.
    a sound website

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dublin Guitar

Alicano wrote: »
    Morning all.
    Many thanks.

Hi Alicano. Just read the thread and thought someone from our side should respond to you. Firstly, thank you for coming into the store and thank you for the kind words, pity we didn't have a bass that would suit :). If there is any way we can help, please don't hesitate to contact us again

On the subject of online or in-store, it is a pity that you can't find what you're looking for here, and you must understand that with a city centre location, most stores have a limit to what they can stock in terms of colours (trust me, we agonise every time we do an order with anyone). However, there is no excuse for bad customer service as this is one of the things that should seperate the bricks & mortar stores from websites. I can't speak for other stores, but all of our instruments are set up on arrival by a full time guitar tech. They are not sent out, he is employed by our company, if somebody would like a different setup, we do it before the instrument leaves. We also provide after sales in terms of advice (not necessarily needed by everyone) and in person backup in case of a warranty issue. These, as well as the cost of location and industry staff, are the reasons why we cannot price match on all items with sites who employ warehouse staff to send out cardboard boxes while knowing little or nothing about what's in them. We do our darndest to get as close as we can though, and in a lot of cases, prices in Irish stores are equal or better on a lot of product. I've dealt with almost every music store in Ireland, as well as a lot of the larger ones in the UK and they all have the same issues, and unfortunately it's led to things like stores being unwilling to buy in certain brands because they cost as much to buy from suppliers as they sell for online. That said, you as a customer should not have to tolerate bad service in any way. It is inexcusable and one of the main reasons why so many people have been driven to buy online. As i said above, if there's any way in which we can help, contact us. Happy bass hunting :)
    Rigsby wrote: »
    Before you dismiss all Dublin shops, have you checked out Guitar Centre ( I think this is what it is called) on Exchequer St. It is on the opposite side to Music Maker and a few doors up towards Sth Gt Georges St., almost at the corner. I called in recently and instantly got friendly vibes from the place. I was actually noticed eek.gif and the lads there seemed genuinely interested in assisting in any way they could. A pleasent change indeed.

Thank you Rigsby! Much appreciated.

We are happy to take on board any constructive criticism, and we view forums like boards.ie as vital to this process, but, we're a music shop, and while we don't encourage mini concerts and we try to cut any singing out as soon as it starts, we all got the scoffs from music store employees when we were growing up and are not keen to dish them out here. Guitars are made to be played, they ain't museum pieces for our wall here. If that's the reason that you don't want to come into our store, fair enough. Stairway abu we say!

Thank you Rigsby! Much appreciated.

You are welcome. :)

Unfortunately you seem to be the exception to the general could n't-care-less attitude that seems to exist in most Dublin music stores. I agree 100% with Alicano.

The shop I visited before yours, is in the vicinity. I was looking for a bass cab with cash in hand. I asked an "assistant" for help. He said he would go and enquire. I waited for ten minutes, then followed him to the counter. He was doing something else. When I challanged him, he said he would be ready in a minute, in the most dismissive way. I abruptly took to my heels. One potential customer gone. Maybe they will cop on in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

To answer the OP's question about which is better. The answer is "it depends". If you're not sure what brands you like then the only way is to play them. You can look at pictures all day but you'll never find what's right for you. As an example I can't stand the feel of Gibson guitars. The neck feels too chunky and the bridge just feels wrong. I also find Schecter guitar necks too chunky. I would never have realised that without actually playing them. By the same token when I first played an Ibanez K7 (thanks Karl Hungus ;)) I knew straight away I wanted one. It just felt right for me.

As for bricks and mortar shops, the last bass I bought was purchased in summer 2009 (I nearly said last summer :)) from a Guitar Center in Boston, USA. I went in there with the intention to just have a browse around for an hour or so. About three hours later I was still there :o. I played most of the high-end basses in the place and put each one through a bunch of different amps. Besides the fact that I had the time to kill, the staff were just so helpful it was unreal. My experience of Irish guitar shops has nearly always been negative from the point of view of just trying to get a hold of a member of staff and even when you do they seem bad-tempered or at the very least put out by a customer daring to interrupt them from whatever they were doing. Mono-syllabic, grunted answers are not what I'm looking for in music shop staff. American shops (well some of them anyway) seem to understand this though. Now maybe it's all an act and they're really just looking at each person as they walk in the door for how much commission they can screw out of them but I'd rather fake helpfulness than honest grumpiness.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I blew a large chunk of my holiday spending money on the Ibanez SR706 on the left of this pic. Would I have bought it without playing it first? Definitely not. I hadn't even given much thought to playing 6 string bass except maybe to throw on a low G under the low B :). It was a different story once I started playing it. I think most people can relate to picking up a guitar and having it just click. I knew that if I left the shop I'd probably spend the foreseeable future thinking about the guitar and I'd end up buying it on EBay or Ishibashi for more than the price the shop was charging.

When I visited the shop it was pretty early in the morning so I didn't have any other people in the shop to try and hear myself over. I was able to dial in various tones in various amps and really hear them without having to contend with someone doing a distortion-saturated widdly widdly solo or someone demonstrating that a 300 watt amp turned up to 10 really does provide sufficient volume to do slap bass on :mad:.

So, the point of this rambling post is that I'd love to see the following in bricks and mortar music shops because they are things that online retailers can't provide.
    • Helpful shop assistants that actually know what they are talking about.
    • An acceptance that if I'm spending €1,000 or more on an instrument I'm going to take my time over it.
    • A selection of good quality amps and effects that can be used for various genres.
    • Provide sound-proofed booths or headphones or something so that I can actually hear the instrument I'm playing without having to try to filter out other people's noise.
    • Provide some stools so that people can sit reasonably comfortably while playing.
    • While I appreciate there are plenty of issues with doing this, I'd love to be able to walk into an Irish shop and see a wider selection of higher-end brands available, not just the usual entry-level Encore, Squier, Epiphone etc brands. Basswise I'd love to see brands like Pedulla, Lakland, Zon or (higer end) Warwick. I would also like to see fretless and 5/6 string basses.
    the first thing I heard was 3 teenagers singing along to a **** 3OH3 song
    I can't be the only one wondering what a 3OH3 song is can I? My Leaving Cert chemistry education is telling me that you can't have 3 oxygen atoms bound to 3 hydrogen ones. It should be O2H6 :pac:

• Advertisement

drumdrum wrote: »
    What I find interesting is that "haggling" seems to be the norm in music shops....even expected almost, but how often do you see people haggling in Ikea or Homebase over furniture, or haggling in Brown Thomas or Dunnes over clothes?

I think that with the recession the music shops had to cut down on the discounts and "freebees" with things. Its not their fault....they do have big costs to cover.

I get your point but I didn't haggle in the slightest. Havn't the character or energy for it! My very first question to the man was "do your bass guitars come with a case?". His response was "it depends". I enquired about a cash price only because that is common in certain industries. I wasn't demanding one. I think a sales assistant should try and sell. Had he said to pay the full asking price in cash and he'd pop it in a crappy case i would have bought it there and then. And maybe he's down a couple of euro on the case but so what? Bass sold and I leave thinking the place is great. It was not a scene from a Morrocan market!:) Thanks for the input though.

Many thanks to everyone for giving their thoughts. I think I will buy the bass from the shop but get a case elsewhere in protest! It's not the bass' fault the shop couldn't care and as you all know when a guitar feels right thats it. Bad service stands out a mile, but good service has to be really really good for you to notice it.
    Thanks again and happy christmas!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's good that these days the local shops are trying to compete with the online shops because they were getting killed by them. This need to compete hasn't come at the best time for them however.

I think the greatest saving that can be made in buying online is the small things that seem to receive the highest proportional mark up locally. Things like strings, cables, stands, plectrums, reeds etc. These things make the most sense to buy online ( in bulk orders only) in a weird way. Sadly for the local shops, it is still about choice and the online stores with their warehouses will always have the edge here. So many of us will continue buying online until we get burned and turning only to the locals for quick fix purchases and repairs if needed.

Advertisement