Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Needed - Golf? 318?

Options
  • 14-12-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Alright, so I am selling my current car, I am doing a lot of miles and want to change over to an automatic Diesel. I currently drive a Golf TSI 1.4 with 140 BHP and love the power you get from that. But I drive 40 km every day just for work and drive from Dublin to Donegal twice a month plus other normal use like shopping. So I end up doing about 30,000 km a year.

What I am ideally looking for:
    Diesel
    Automatic (doing a lot of Dublin traffic)
    100 BHP + (for the Donegal trips)
    45 - 50 mpg
    Nice German brand (I am in the car a lot!)
    about 3 years old.
    Budget: about 18k - 20k EUR
    Leather is nice to have, but not essential.

Any tips? I have looked at the usual suspects: Diesel Golfs, 318d... but didn't find anything nice!

(btw - anyone interested in a 2007 Golf TSI http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/140-BHP-/201050200535897/advert?channel=CARS :-) ).

Comments

What mpg are you getting out of the 1.4TSi, you'll be trying to sell what not many people want to buy and buy what many folks want so you are probably going to get raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

Consumption on the 1.4 TSI is not that bad, I am more worried about the depreciation doing 30k km a year. Average I get about 32 mpg, in Dublin traffic I get about 25, National Roads and Motorways I get just under 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

It's not german but you would do well to consider the Ford Mondeo.

a 2008 Titanium 2.0d would be around your budget.

You'll get:

140bhp 45mog
    An auto box with triptronic for more energetic driving
    half leather seats - heated for these cold mornings
    Ford Connect+ Voice control for Phone, radio, climate etc.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/Titanium/201046200242268/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

marc1 wrote: »
    Consumption on the 1.4 TSI is not that bad, I am more worried about the depreciation doing 30k km a year. Average I get about 32 mpg, in Dublin traffic I get about 25, National Roads and Motorways I get just under 40.

You will lose more changing to a diesel than the Golf is likely to depeciate in the next couple of years to be honest. 30k km a year isn't a lot and the 5.5-7.5k you would be spending with your Golf would buy a lot of petrol. Just something to consider.

If you just fancy a change then +1 on the Mondeo, but if it's just because of running costs you aren't going to save money.

, I am more worried about the depreciation doing 30k km a year.

You're asking €12,500 for it in the add :confused:
    The worst is over, whatever you buy will also depreciate. How much do you reckon on spending on the next car ?

• Advertisement

Hoping to spend about 18k. I know that is more, but I am also trying to upgrade at the same time. (nicer car, get air-con and automatic)
    In my head the maths made sense... Maybe I was wrong?

Well, you might get €11,000 for your Golf, so your spending €7000 to save €30 ish a week in fuel costs. Financially it makes no sense really, feel good factor from an upgrade etc might make it appeal and suit you but financially it's money down the drain. I also think you'll find it hard to flog the golf. A 2007 Golf TSi doesn't have air con ??

Well that's what I was thinking, 1500 EUR a year saves in fuel, probably another 500 in deprecation. If I keep the new car 2 years, thats 4,000 saved. So really I am paying 3k for the upgrade... Makes sense to me, but probably just because I want a new car :-)

Nope doesn't have air-con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well that's what I was thinking, 1500 EUR a year saves in fuel, probably another 500 in deprecation. If I keep the new car 2 years, thats 4,000 saved. So really I am paying 3k for the upgrade... Makes sense to me, but probably just because I want a new car :-)

Nope doesn't have air-con.

The new car will depriciate by AT LEAST as much as the Golf...you're not going to save on depreciation. It will get you no matter what;)

TBH, the Golfs value will be pretty level now though. The worst years for dropping value are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement

probably another 500 in deprecation.

I don't see how the next car will depreciate slower than an older car that has already depreciated loads. If you want to change you want to change but trying to dress it up as being somehow shrewd or frugal is looney.

Ok, lets assume this:

4 years old pertol Golf with 70,000 km worth 12,000 EUR
    Keep it for 2 years, put 60,000 km on it.
    6 years old, 120,000 km.

4 years old diesel BMW 318d with 70,000 km worth 18,000 EUR
    Keep it for 2 years, put 60,000 km on it.
    6 years old, 120,000 km.

What are they going to be worth at the end? :-) My guess is 6,500 for the golf, 12,500 for the BMW?

After writing all that, yep you're right. Damn. Need to find another excuse to buy a new car.

Need to find another excuse to buy a new car.

You don't need an excuse :)
    If you want one and can afford it go ahead :)

Advertisement