Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research assistant interview

Options
  • 13-12-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Right so Iv just been asked to interview for a research assistant positin at a university.

I have 2 questions that I hope you can help me with. Iv asked here because I thought it would be more specific than general Work and Jobs.

1. I have to give a 10min presentation on my research work. What would be better? MY most recent research or research which I did for my final yr project which is more or less all my experience in this field. Both research projects were given 1.1s.

2. what the feck do I wear? I know its in a university so is it a bit more relaxed? Or should I treat it as a formal interview? And go dark suit etc?

its my first proper interview so Im a bit scared. :eek: And dont really know what to expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Give the talk on the research that is better and more interesting to talk about. Wear a shirt and tie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yeah, go with the work you're more familiar with and happy to talk about I'd say.
    Always go formal for interviews, you wont get a second chance to impress.
    If you are using powerpoint for your presentation, Do Not just read whats on the screen, - assume they can read already and just use the slides to remind you what to talk about - use a keyword per line to give yourself the reminder of what to discuss.
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1. I have to give a 10min presentation on my research work. What would be better? MY most recent research or research which I did for my final yr project which is more or less all my experience in this field. Both research projects were given 1.1s.

Go with the one more relevant to the researcher your applying too or the one with most varied amount of techniques employed to show off your skills
    2. what the feck do I wear? I know its in a university so is it a bit more relaxed? Or should I treat it as a formal interview? And go dark suit etc?

Formal all the way, I know a guy who turned up for an interview in UCD who wasn't even listened to because he turned up in cords and a t-shirt, it shows you don't care. A shirt and slacks and the job would have been his.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Thanks for all the replies!

I have decide to go with the more relevant work, it makes more sense to do so.

Can I ask again for advice on this presentation if I need it?

Also, Im a girl, so shirt and tie probably wouldnt be ideal. But am I right to presume that Id best off somewhere between formal suity suit and casual dress?
    Basically just look smart?

Any advice on hot to set myself apart from the rest? Id love to hear any experiences with these kinds of interviews. Knowing the supervisors I'v had I presume that the panel arent out to get me so to speak.

Also when they say have i any questions I am at a loss as to what to say if i dont. I know it looks bad not to have any so am trying to figure out a backup question,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Any advice on hot to set myself apart from the rest? Id love to hear any experiences with these kinds of interviews. Knowing the supervisors I'v had I presume that the panel arent out to get me so to speak.

Also when they say have i any questions I am at a loss as to what to say if i dont. I know it looks bad not to have any so am trying to figure out a backup question

Since they're giving you an opportunity to talk, that will be your chance to shine. Practice the talk. Invest some time making it very polished. Not just on the screen; you need to have your monologue worked out in advance like an actor. Make it interesting, add a little humour if you think you can pull it off. And time yourself: don't go over time on the day.

I don't believe there's a magic question you can ask at the end that would impress everyone. But get across that you are interested in their research (assuming you are!) - that's gold. All techniques can be learned, passion can't.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yep, as 2scoops said practice what you're going to say, and just use the slides as an aide memoir. Dont just rattle it off though like it's just something you've memorised and dont understand, try to talk as naturally as you can.
    I would suggest you practice it in front of someone if you can, and get them to ask questions about anything they dont understand - In particular, someone not familiar with the work will pick up if you start sliding into acronyms or jargon without explaining what they are.
    Be preapred for questions on your presentation - try to come up with questions you think you might possible be asked and have answers for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hi, congrats on the interview!

my advice on the talk is to present whichever of your topics is most relevant to the work you hope to be doing. If you're moving into a new field and there isn't much overlap, then certainly pick the research which has the most transferrable techniques and skills.

As for the clothes, it's all about making an impression! I'm a girl too, and for my sciencey interviews I've gone with smart trousers (topshop have nice ones, in particular I like the range of sizes as I'm petite so hate it when trousers are too long for me - no one wants to feel like they're dressing up as a "grown up" at an interview, especially if you have to present in front of people!). I'd usually wear a fitted shirt with it, lots of places do them. I often pick colourful ones so as not to feel like I'm wearing a boring uniform. Don't worry about being "too" smart, there's nothing wrong with that, but if you're very casual then it makes a bad impression.

Good luck with it all, and don't overthink it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'd gladly give a limb to be in your position, OP, make the most of it! This thread has been very useful, I'm diligently taking notes should such a position present itself to me in the next few months. Fingers crossed. Good luck with your interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Good advice from 2scoops and gaspode on practicing the presentation. Its a very good idea to go over it in front of someone else when you're not used to giving talks. Try to anticipate any questions you might get, even ones that might seem very obvious to you. In addition, when you are asked a question listen to it carefully and pause for a few seconds, don't just blurt out the first thing that comes into your head. Its amazing the amount of people who don't let others even finish their questions before firing off an answer.

Regarding the interview, the panel will likely want to see that you are competent, but also that you are committed to the position. If you can show enthusiasm for the work and the field it will go down well. Make sure you are somewhat familiar with what the position entails (what type of experimets you'll have to carry out, equipment etc) and the relevant literature, in particular the work of whoever is on the interview board for added browny points.

Regarding questions you could ask, maybe things like the research time-line, general publication plans, potential collaborations? Again just getting across an enthusiasm and interest in the position.

And definitely go for formal....always better to over-dress, even if you feel a bit silly.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

It went off without a hitch, I was able to answer everything they asked and hopefully put across my genuine enthusiasm.

Im just waiting to hear back now so Il post when I do!

Thanks again for truly helpful advice!

• Advertisement

Great stuff, let us know how it went. Remember us little people when you're doing your Nobel Prize speech OK?

Hi!

Sorry for the late update but found out last week I didnt get it.

I met one other woman who was going for it and she was in her late 30's. I know there were 2 others going for it too.

I think it came down to a lack of professional experience on my part, as Im only starting out.

Comes back to that ol catch 22 I guess - cant get experience without a job, cant get job without experience.

Better luck next time I guess!

And thanks again for all your input!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hard luck but try and look at it as positive experience
    I think it came down to a lack of professional experience on my part, as Im only starting out.

It's always the way, I've been quite lucky with work but I do remember struggling to find any experience in my early years as you always had two problems if you were interested. One you didn't have enough experience or two they thought you were too interested in progression when you went for the base level jobs.

Catch 22 is an understatement.

Do you mind me asking what your experience is so far? Are you a B.Sc., M.Sc., PhD or do you have any industrial experience? I presumed from your first post that you had either a taught or a research M.Sc. which should be ample for a research assistant position, particularly if your project received a 1.1. If this is true, I would say it's more that in the current climate, there are alot more people with more experience rather than you not having enough. My first job in the field was given to me because of my experience in a bar oddly enough, I was one of the least qualified applicants but the boss told me later it was the fact that I had held a full time job all through college and had a good record for hard work and timekeeping, which none of the other applicants had mentioned.

I realise this is too late for advice but its something that worked for that job, may not have worked for any other.

The more interviews you do though, the better you will get at reading people and judging what people are looking for (hopefully).

Good Luck in the future.

Hi,

Iv got a taught MSc however it was 50% fulltime research. I think your are right though, having spoken to both of refs since then they both say thats its just a sign of the times that older more established researchers are looking at the same kind of jobs as I am, and frankly they are just better qualified.

I'm now in what I think is the flipside of that catch 22 having applied for a part time research technician job but I think I might be overqualified for it and that they are looking for someone with at most BSc level skills. Its a very repetitive role but for something short-term (its only a 3/4mth thing) Im more than willing.

Thanks for your response though. I know its not just me in this situation and there are thousands others like me but sometimes it does seem very personal.

Advertisement