Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off road routes in/around Newbridge, Co. Kildare

Options
  • 13-12-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I couldn't find any threads that contained the information I want, but feel free to direct me towards one if it exists.

Basically I live in Newbridge, Co. Kildare and I am looking for some off-road (mountain bike) routes / trails that I can ride to get back into shape. I used to ride a lot about 7 or 8 years ago but have since let me fitness go completely.

I used to live in the UK where all my riding experience was had and I'm used to only being able to ride on certain trails (bridal paths and bigger), is this also the case in Ireland?

As a bit of background, I was knocked off my bike by a car about 12 years ago and still get very nervous riding for too long on the road.

I guess in general what I want to know is, is there any legal limitations to where I can and can't ride?

Thanks
    Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

The Curragh is a brilliant place to ride especially if you head towards the south east end. I'm not sure exactly what the legal position is but I don't think you'd have any problems - just watch out if there's red flags flying!
    Also, close to Newbridge would be the Grand Canal towpath which is at least off-road.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

Hi Pete

I live a 2 minute spin from the curragh and have been cycling there a few years and never had a problem .

A couple of things to look out for, your not allowed to cross the area of the race course before 1pm as the horses are training and as mentioned above if you see red flags flying stay on the road, off road is out of bounds then due to army activity.

There are loads of trails to use, a good route is out by the racecourse then cross over the motorway on one of the bridges , then round the back of the curragh camp out by brownstown , then out by the back of the firing ranges to the hilly areas and back by the golf course and Donnellys hollow. If you still have some left in the legs theres plenty of fun on the 4x4 training hills(opposite Donnellys hollow) before home via the Green road.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

also the hill of Allen. it's 3-4miles cycle from Newbridge.
    10-15mins to the top, 1 minute to the bottom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

sorry just read your post again, the road to allen can be pretty dangerous with cars speeding, the curragh is your best bet for off road

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

I'd say the Curragh is the best bet.
    If you need a change there a bog road between Kildare town (past Japaneese Gradens) and Kildoon. Along it there are loads of rough lanes that lead back into one another, also there are a few forestly ones and the can take you through to Suncroft or Nurney.
    Not strenous but interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Have a look at www.unlaoisedmtb.com they're a montain bike club active in the north Laoise area

Advertisement