Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hypocrisy, corruption and denial, the 3 biggest threats to world peace

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

so as wikileaks continue to give us an insight into real life politics we find ourselves knee deep in hypocritical bs, corruption of 8billion minds and the earth, denial from governments and the majority of the public that it's really happening

what's your take on it all and can you see a world at peace?

is it really only a pipe dream? if it is Id probably take the pipe over constant letdowns thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

And the bombs, everyone's forgotten about the bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Religious fundamentalists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

There'll never be a world at peace as long as someone has more than someone else.

Wait another 50 years and countries won't be fighting over oil, they'll be fighting over the availability of fresh water as global warming takes hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Today's "gods" (politicians/celebrities) are just modern versions of the old Greek gods with their jealousy, bickering, backstabbing and fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

There'll never be a world at peace as long as someone has more than someone else.

Wait another 50 years and countries won't be fighting over oil, they'll be fighting over the availability of fresh water as global warming takes hold.

+1There will never be world peace people are too greedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Human Beings are pack animals that fight over resources, territory and the X factor.

There will be world peace as soon as we've destroyed ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Elevator wrote: »

its not the nature of the beast no, thats just the way it is, this is probably the closest there has been to world peace the last 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Human Beings are pack animals that fight over resources, territory and the X factor.

There will be world peace as soon as we've destroyed ourselves

I am an agnostic when it comes to X factor, I acknowledge its existence but refuse to worship it. Although I will fight over it if there is a chance I can get the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

AnneFrank wrote: »
    +1There will never be world peace people are too greedy

There will never be world peace as long as there are people on the planet.

What "we" have and "they" dont is merely another excuse to kill each other

Wars are fought over religion and in many cases just pure irrational hate foward our fellow man.

Put 10 people in a room. With the absence of laws and assets, there will be a row between them at some point - eventually that turns to hate

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Religious fundamentalists?

Yip! I was going to throw in religion but you got it covered I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

When the main resources start running out. I wonder how the 'land of the free' will start using its military might.... I doubt it'll be pretty.

me@ucd wrote: »
    its not the nature of the beast no, thats just the way it is, this is probably the closest there has been to world peace the last 10 years or so.

Ain't that peaceful: WIKI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I should be too busy hitting on my crack pipe to give a **** anymore

people say with all the giving out I do, why don't I go into politics?

let me see, have i the traits?

i can lie,

I can charm people around me and control certain decision making

I can be a stern cold hearted fcuker at times

I get flashes of decency towards the whole world, even those who have wronged me in the past

but not like a politician!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Ain't that peaceful: WIKI

its all relative, yes there are conflicts going on in the arse end of nowhere [Iraq, Afghanistan, N&S Korea etc] but these are small fry and well contained, wait till the big dogs get in on the show, when china kicks off it will get interesting...or horrific :(

me@ucd wrote: »
    its all relative, yes there are conflicts going on in the arse end of nowhere [Iraq, Afghanistan, N&S Korea etc] but these are small fry and well contained, wait till the big dogs get in on the show, when china kicks off it will get interesting...or horrific :(

Reading a book on Africa at the moment and the author wonders if Africa will be the next battleground for the likes of China vs the US given the resources the country contains. But we're talking 'end days' here.

Jeez, I'd allllmost like to be around when it starts turning Mad Max just to see what happens. You're right tho, it won't be pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

And the bombs, everyone's forgotten about the bombs.

The Japanese haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Religious fundamentalism isn't the greatest threat. Sure, it's a substantial threat, but not the greatest. Prejudices can be reduced through education and tolerance. Sure, it wont be eradicated, but it can be contained. What is a greater threat is for want of a better word, greed. Whether that's greed for money, power or natural resources, it is that which threatens world peace to the greatest extent. You take a nation and threaten it's access to these things, and you'll find that most people will pretty much ignore religion in favour of getting these things. Most of the conflicts that are currently going on in the world, what are they over? It's not religion, that's for sure. Human beings are incapable of peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sums up FIFA nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Im not sure id like to live in a world that has world peace, it seems to go against everything that makes us human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

Im not sure id like to live in a world that has world peace, it seems to go against everything that makes us human.

seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Elevator wrote: »
    so as wikileaks continue to give us an insight into real life politics we find ourselves knee deep in hypocritical bs, corruption of 8billion minds and the earth, denial from governments and the majority of the public that it's really happening

is it really only a pipe dream? if it is Id probably take the pipe over constant letdowns thanks
    I would have said just "Religion" is the biggest current threat to world peace.
    ...But then some things never changes it seems - and folk just don't kop on!

Advertisement