Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADAT Question

Options
  • 13-12-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi Guys. I'm trying to put together a little home recording setup and I have a question about using ADAT connections that I hope someone can help me out with.

So basically I borrowed a few interfaces off a few friends covering all the major types of connections, USB, Firewire and PCI. PCI had the best latency by far which is important for me as I plan to be using a lot of guitar amp modelers in real time so with this in mind I bought a RME Hammerfall DSP 9652. I will pickup something like a Presonus Digimax D8 which I can connect via ADAT for my inputs but I was wondering what do I need to connect the ADAT or SPDIF outputs to a set of monitor speakers as most of the ones I'm looking at only have 3 1/4" and XLR inputs? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

ADAT is 8 channel so you generally don't find it used as an input for powered monitor speakers.

You can buy monitors with S/Pdif inputs. There's quite a few. The only issue is that you won't have a physical volume control, so if you accidentally give them a full level input you can damage the speakers. The Digidesign monitors are excellent and recently discontinued, so superb value for money. But you'll need a box to convert S/Pfif to AES 3.

Or you can buy a DA converter, that will have analogue outputs. What's your budget? The Presonus Central Station would be a nice solution for you. You will need to get a wordclock cable and clock both converters from the Central Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

Cheers Madtheory, that certainly cleared up a lot of my issues. I picked up a second hand Steinberg MR816x which has 8 channels of ADAT I/O which should do the job very nicely. Just waiting on my RME though, DHL are taking forever to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

You're welcome. Are you sure that the Steinberg can be used standalone? It's a firewire interface y'see. Makes the RME redundant for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

The MR816 works fine standalone :) Today is my first day off work for the holidays so I finally got round to setting it all up, so far im super impressed. The MR816s preamps sounds great and with the RME the latency is ridiculously low. Woot!

Advertisement