Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording drums

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi, i'm trying to figure out the best way to set up a recording studio to record drums. I want to mic each drum separately. These mics will be fed in to an analog mixing desk but after this i'm unsure what to do. I want to send each mic into my mixing program separately so I have as much control as possible over the final mix. How is each mic brought from the desk to the computer? any ideas are welcomed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭petermaher

flameboy87 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm trying to figure out the best way to set up a recording studio to record drums. I want to mic each drum separately. These mics will be fed in to an analog mixing desk but after this i'm unsure what to do. I want to send each mic into my mixing program separately so I have as much control as possible over the final mix. How is each mic brought from the desk to the computer? any ideas are welcomed :)

So why not employ a studio that actually does that for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

you'll need an audio interface with at least 8 seperate I/O to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭flameboy87

Peter:
    Wel I want to have a home studio so that i can work out songs and have copies of music etc.. I do plan on going in to a recording studio to get professional quality recordings but would also like to have a home studio so I can record when i want.

DamagedTrax:
    I was looking at the following audio interfaces.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/line6_ux8.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_fast_track_ultra_8r.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_profire_2626.htm

Is it better to use a MIDI out rather than a usb out to connect the audio interface to the computer nd if so why? And if you know the advantages and disadvantages to each then would love to know.
    Also is the chain simply as below?

Drum mic > mixer > audio interface > computer

Also, for anyone else reading this, if you can offer any other advice on this or other ways to record then any help would be really appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i'd go with the pro-fire. its a great interface and coupled with protools m-powered will give you enough I/O for a kit (if you wanted to go the protools route). works well with cubase and reaper too. never tried it with any other DAW.
    Is it better to use a MIDI out rather than a usb out to connect the audio interface to the computer nd if so why? And if you know the advantages and disadvantages to each then would love to know.

you have to use USB to send audio to your computer. the midi out is only there to send midi data elsewhere, ie an external synth.
    Also is the chain simply as below?

Drum mic > mixer > audio interface > computer

yup.
    Also, for anyone else reading this, if you can offer any other advice on this or other ways to record then any help would be really appreciated.

there are various techniques used for differant genres.. some using more, some using less mics.

do a google search on the glyn johns method. gives a full drum sound using only 3 mics.

thumb.php?f=Glyn_Johns_Mic_Placement.JPG&width=300

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You could look into drum replacement software. like Drumagog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN7IfJrkDo0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭flameboy87

Thanks Damaged Trax, help has being brilliant, I think I know much more bout it now, although will no doubt need to know more in the future.

Also, thanks krd for your help too, probably would go the route of real drums although its a very interesting option to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1MlV_-MLWk check that out might help.

Advertisement