Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoax call results in major air and sea search in Kerry

Options
  • 13-12-2010 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Just got word (from a friend in SAR) that a major air, shore, and sea search was activated tonight after a mayday call was made to Shannon Coast Guard Radio. The caller was claiming to be on a fishing boat with two other people that had run aground on rocks near Fenit, Co. Kerry. He claimed one man had tried swimming to shore but they hadn't heard from him since.

The Coast Guard Helicopter, Fenit Lifeboat, Banna Sea Rescue, Ballybunion Coast Guard and Sea Rescue Units and Gardai all attended the scene and searched for 3 hours. It was eventually concluded that the call was a hoax, and all units were stood down.

Sorry I don't have a link at the moment, there's nothing on the news sites about it. I hope they catch the morons that were responsible for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Out of interest, what kind of penalty would they face once caught, do you know? Named and shamed at the very least, for a start, I would hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Out of interest, what kind of penalty would they face once caught, do you know? Named and shamed at the very least, for a start, I would hope.

I don't know what the penalty would be tbh. But apparently the helicopter alone is 8,000 euros per hour-so the courts would want to hit them with a nice fine to recoup the costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Not to mention the volunteers with the lifeboats who risk their lives for some stupid, attention seeking idiot to pull a stunt like this! Makes my blood boil! (rant & rave...)

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Not to mention the volunteers with the lifeboats who risk their lives for some stupid, attention seeking idiot to pull a stunt like this! Makes my blood boil! (rant & rave...)

Yeah, you would have to wonder about the mentality of people who get a kick out of making hoax calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1212/rescue.html

Who ever called this in needs to be found and fined..and more! :mad:

I live by the Shannon, and the most awful fright you can get is hearing the search and rescue out.

• Advertisement

chucken1 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1212/rescue.html

Who ever called this in needs to be found and fined..and more! :mad:

I live by the Shannon, and the most awful fright you can get is hearing the search and rescue out.

Thanks for that link. Yeah whenever you see the Sikorsky out you know somebody is more than likely in big trouble..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

For starters a prosecution for misuse of telecommunications could be initiated if the caller is found...unfortunately I'd nearly bet my last red cent the call was made from a prepaid mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Thanks for that link. Yeah whenever you see the Sikorsky out you know somebody is more than likely in big trouble..

It's not quite that bad. They do quite a bit of routine patrolling, pollution monitoring and training flights. The saddest bit to my mind is watching them doing patterns searching for bodies, often with the CG and RNLI below. Happens a lot around Howth cliffs where I live and in plain view.

As for hoaxers, the law should hit them harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Was at this callout on Sunday, a pain in the a**e so it was - the resources that night that were used, all for a hoax
    • Irish Navy LE Eithne (Who were also going to launch RIB's)
    • Irish Air Corps CASA
    • Banna Rescue Unit (Banna C.R.B.I)
    • Fenit Lifeboats (ALB & ILB)
    • Glenderry (Ballyheigue) Coast Guard
    • Ballybunion Coast Guard
    • Rescue 115 (Shannon Heli)
    It was someone who knew well what they were doing as, not only did they know what a PAN PAN call was, they called it in on CH16 and CH28 (Shannon CG Radio) - so they knew they local channel also.

Myself, I'm dying with a cold since after 3 hours of searching in the cold!

Advertisement