Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else hate it when you order food and...

Options
  • 12-12-2010 6:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

it's covered in mayo/custard/salad dressing etc?

As someone who doesn't like any of the above three, I ****ing hate when you're in a restaurant or cafe and order something only for it to arrive smothered in mayo or custard or whatever. Fair enough if it said it on the menu, but "Chocolate cake" is exactly that. Chocolate cake with custard is "Chocolate cake with custard".

You wouldn't expect to order chips and have them arrive with ketchup all over them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I usually specify what I want on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

As someone who doesn't like any of the above three, I ****ing hate when you're in a restaurant or cafe and order something only for it to arrive smothered in mayo or custard or whatever. Fair enough if it said it on the menu, but "Chocolate cake" is exactly that. Chocolate cake with custard is "Chocolate cake with custard".

You wouldn't expect to order chips and have them arrive with ketchup all over them.

Yes, I also find this annoying, and to all the people who say 'don't ask for them' well they put them on anyway half the time.

Plus you always get looked at like you're a weirdo for not wanting a pile of sauce all over your food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Nope, I like my food like I like my men ... saucy :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Yes, I also find this annoying, and to all the people who say 'don't ask for them' well they put them on anyway half the time.
    You shouldn't have to ask that they don't include stuff they haven't said they would. If they're going to include sauces and whatnot in a dish that they haven't mentioned, they should be asking you.

I mean, it takes hardly any time or effort to just ask your paying customer if they want it, and if they say no you save money by not wasting whatever extra you were going to lob in, and it doesn't ruin their food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Yup - ordered a chip butty with cheese a while back and when i got home it was covered in garlic sauce :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dont order a ceasar salad if you dont like the dressing

I used to work with a girl, she had an allergy to onions -

We were at the christmas party and she ordered a salad that clearly described onions were in it.

She nearly died.

So did i

for different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

make you own food you lazy cnut, that way you won't be giving out.

Mod note: Poster banned for this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

who pissed in your salad? :eek:

snyper wrote: »
    Absolutely. But if I order a 'side salad', or even if there's a salad garnish with whatever my meal is, I don't expect them to assume I want dressing on it, nor is there any reason for them to.

Situation 1: they make the assumption I want dressing, ruining the salad for me so I have to leave it.

Situation 2: they leave it up to me, I enjoy the salad. If I change my mind, I ask for dressing.

I can't imagine eating chips without ketchup, but I wouldn't pour it over someone's meal because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I agree with you, if you want something on top of your food, let it be offered before its served. Some restaurants become presumptuous and just serve what's their tastes are which may not necessarily be to your taste.

Please remember who's paying the bill and who's eating the food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The absolute worst for me is when you order something like say, steak and chips, and they put a salad beside the food on the plate. Said salad doused in dressing which is also all over my food.

I didn't even want the bloody salad, let alone the dressing, but if it had said 'with salad' on the menu, I could have at least said, no salad please. Ah well, I just see them doing that as their way of saying 'no tip please'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I can't imagine eating chips without ketchup

Freak. Bearnaise sauce is much, much better than ketchup, as is tartare sauce.

I am still emotionally scarred from my last visit to Enniskillen.

I went for a pizza at some restaurant, can't remember the name but I'm sure if I saw it I'd remember never to eat there again.

Looked at the menu, found one called 'Hot n Kickin' that was described as pepperoni and a chilli sauce base. Nice one, I love spicy food.

It arrived... **** me it was the most disgusting pizza I'd ever tasted. The chilli sauce was in fact, sweet chilli sauce and there was no tomato sauce used at all, just sweet chilli sauce and mozerella.

Now aside from the fact I hate sweet chilli sauce, how can you think that it's sufficient to just say "chilli sauce" on a menu? Chilli sauce base suggests a traditional tomaoto base with added chilli, not a sweet, sugarry base.

The waiteress didn't seem to understand this at all, and her argument was "well plenty other people like it". Obviously the fact I thought it was absolutely disgusting was only my opinion, but the problem was their misleading menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I have to agree, I hate it. If it's not described on the menu, it shouldn't be on my plate. Especially something like dairy products or other allergens

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TIMR007ROX

The reason loads of sauces are lobbed on is to cover up the taste of most chippers' sh*tty food

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

The worst example is when food contains nuts with absolutely no mention of them on the menu. I especially hate it when something is described as having 'Chocolate' filling and it turns out to be nutella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

i ordered a steak sandwich once and it was covered in mayo, you could barely taste the meat! it didn't mention it on the menu but i would have said no mayo if it had because i can't stand the stuff. i hate when vegetables are covered in salt and butter too!

Raisins are another sneaky one that always shnake their way into food.

A "chocoalte brownie" with raisins in it is not a chocolate brownie, it's a chocolate and raisin brownie.

It's not just in commercial places that you get it though, a lot of people do it when cooking. My dad always used to ruin soup by putting a load of corriander on top, telling me "that's how you serve it". No it's not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I don't eat mayo or any mayo-style sauces. This has led me to send a lot of food back over the years.

I once had to send a Big Mac back 3 times before I got one with no sauce on it.

I also had problems with a chicken filet burger in Supermacs, I asked the girl twice if she could do one with no mayo and both times she said yes, however,when the thing arrived it was covered in mayo and she said that they didn't do grill orders and that there was nothing she could do about it. The manager was fairly quick in sorting it out though.

I also have problems with sandwiches from the vending machine in work as they are usually covered in mayo, so I usually have to scrap as much of the mayo off as possible before I can eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

snyper wrote: »

There's a big difference between caesar salad dressing being on a caesar salad, and mayo/ketchup being ALL OVER my cheeseburger/chips/onion rings/ anything really.

Fair enough if the some sort of house speciality, or specific to the dish, but if it's ketchup or mayo what's the harm in letting me choose?

PS. This REALLY annoys me in sandwiches at delis. Sometimes they don't ask if I want mayo, then get the hump when I say I don't want it. (for the pedants: sometimes you forget to say 'no mayo' when you first order.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Well said O.P, i hate chesse and butter and always ask if there is chesse on it and that i dont want it, once i ordered a sherpards pie and it was covered in chesse:mad:, and then you get the places that will cover the veg in a chesse sauce, it a minefield out there and now i ask if there is chesse on anything i order.
    Oh and don't bother going to a wedding or a funeral if your a non butter eater, all sandwiches will come with butter:mad:, why the **** cant they leave them plain and supply packets of butter for people that want butter:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Have you thought of mentioning to them that you dislike the aforementioned dressings?

orourkeda wrote: »
    Have you thought of mentioning to them that you dislike the aforementioned dressings?
    Chips please, and no ketchup, mayonnaise, burger sauce, rasberry jam, custard, onions, raisins, tarare sauce, hollondaise sauce or brown sauce please!

No, if I ask for chips, I want chips. It is not my responsibility to specify everything else I don't want on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Chips please, and no ketchup, mayonnaise, burger sauce, rasberry jam, custard, onions, raisins, tarare sauce, hollondaise sauce or brown sauce please!

No, if I ask for chips, I want chips. It is not my responsibility to specify everything else I don't want on it.

Burger sauce is the fúckin business in fairness. Anything that makes boring old health conscious homemade burgers into McDonalds is ok by me.

Ask for chips with nothing on them. This should have the effect of getting chips with nothing on them

orourkeda wrote: »
    Ask for chips with nothing on them.

Therefore you should get chips with nothing on them.
    Surely the absence of anything other than chips in my order does not suggest I'm leaving the option of condiments up to pot luck? Where do you think I'm ordering food, santa's grotto?

Surely the absence of anything other than chips in my order does not suggest I'm leaving the option of condiments up to pot luck? Where do you think I'm ordering food, santa's grotto?

Don't leave them in any doubt then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I dont know what kind of high polloy places you people eat in but where I am, If I order chips I feel lucky if I just get a plate of something vaguely resembling chips, let alone an assortment of fancy salads and sauces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

amacachi wrote: »
    I usually specify what I want on it.
    At Micky D's, B King or Eddy Rockets I always specify what I want or not want on my burgers, ie I detest those green things and too much brown sauce, ketchup etc. If they don't listed and hand me what I don't want I don't accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Kind of defeats the point of going to a restaurant then. Thought you'd know the rules considering you're a mod, personal abuse eh?

Advertisement