Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Money Online

Options
  • 12-12-2010 6:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

So basically, lately it came to my attention that you can make money online through Google Adsense and Affiliate Marketing, I never knew this!!! All you have to do is set up a website or blog, sign up to affiliate programs which host ads on your site and get good traffic...then you can earn some money, depending on how often those ads are clicked. Sounds sooo cool!
    I'm all determined to make money online now, but I have no idea what I'd like to make a website or blog about...guess it has to be something I like. These site have some good info:

[URL="http://SpammingMyOwnArticle.Com[/URL]

http://www.2createawebsite.com/

Has anybody here ever done anything like this before?, If you have please post and tell me was it a success or flop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Fools gold be careful :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Davsavage

Well I've heard of some people making quite a bit of money online so I wouldn't say its fools gold...I think its probably just takes a lot of time and effort to get going and to generate an income. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

yep.

200+ websites with fresh individual content every second day and you'll be on your way to financial freedom. :)

Making "decent" money from Adsense and affiliation is hard work, Possible but Hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 141089

My adsense experience started about 1.5 yrs ago. I have kind of gone through 3 phases,

Phase 1: I was stupid, no keyword research, no proper method, no backlinking plans , just stabbing in the dark using mostly free hosting and free domains. That got me a few $. Completely not worth the time, but you kind of get caught up in it, when I got my first click I was very excited!

Phase 2: I started doing some actual research, into keywords. Thought I knew enough so splashed out on a few domains, hosting, and backlinking services. Unfortunately I didn't do my homework, and most of that was a waste of time and money. But actually I didn't loose hope, still living in a dream..! At this stage I had about 30$ in adsense, still not close to the payment threshold.

Phase 3: Entered this stage about 2 months ago. At this stage I actually did proper keyword research, checked out competition, and also got help from a e-friend I made in phase 2. I made a few sites with more wisdom, using proper plugins, backlinking, themes etc. I have been concentrating on one of them and it is made 127euro last month, 80 euro so far this month. It is in the insurance niche, ranking #4 , some clicks getting a couple of euro! I have some others that arent doing very well , and others doing nothing.

My plans for the future are to work on the successful one to hopefully bring it up to 10euro/day consistantly. I also need to put work into others which have potential to hopefully the same 10euro/day. If I got 10 sites at that level, I'd be happy! I also plan to drop the useless ones as they are mostly a waste of time and effort, and would see no return.

So adsense was fools gold for me initially, but that's slowly turning around, and with persistence comes reward...

There are other ways to make money online, most of which I have been unsuccessful with, but adsense and CPA offers are not the only one. I have had some success with website design and so on for businesses and individuals, and I plan to work hard on that in the future , building it up to 50/day would be great, and is realistic.

So if you are interested in adsense , and think you can stick with it, my advice is to go for it. Do research in keywords, backlinking, content, themes, plugins, competition, cost / click and so on FROM THE START. Try to skip my phase 1 and 2..!

Some people have huge success with it. In one forum I frequent, some make 1,000s per month. One example is a guy who has 300 micro niche sites, each making over a $ per day..... and Im sure there are others doing even better than him.

141089 wrote: »
    My adsense experience started about 1.5 yrs ago. I have kind of gone through 3 phases,

Phase 1: I was stupid, no keyword research, no proper method, no backlinking plans , just stabbing in the dark using mostly free hosting and free domains. That got me a few $. Completely not worth the time, but you kind of get caught up in it, when I got my first click I was very excited!

Some people have huge success with it. In one forum I frequent, some make 1,000s per month. One example is a guy who has 300 micro niche sites, each making over a $ per day..... and Im sure there are others doing even better than him.

Can I ask, do you think its a bad idea to use free domains (sub domains)? As i read that the traffic is generally lower with free domains, and there is a loss of credibility.
    What you said about the micro niche sites sounds really interesting! Do you know if those sites are using free hosting or payed? I wouldn't mind doing a tone of niche sites as I do have some niche information.

Thanks for taking the time to give me all your info!

• Advertisement

Davsavage wrote: »
    Can I ask, do you think its a bad idea to use free domains (sub domains)? As i read that the traffic is generally lower with free domains, and there is a loss of credibility.
    What you said about the micro niche sites sounds really interesting! Do you know if those sites are using free hosting or payed? I wouldn't mind doing a tone of niche sites as I do have some niche information.

Thanks for taking the time to give me all your info!

No problem,

Yes I think free domains are a bad idea in terms of ranking, and yes there is a loss of credibility. They are useful if your just messing around, trying and learning new things, and if you are driving traffic from say twitter using shortened URLS, then it shouldn't be an issue, but if your gonna rely on search engines, then go for .com, .org, or .net (and in that order by my experience)

I would recommend payed hosting for micro niche sites, but free hosting may be a reasonable option. I the only FREE* hosting I ever used was 110mb and x10hosting, both are good, but not as reliable as what I'm using currently, and you have more control if you go with payed hosting. Anyway, it's cheap enough, I pay 10$ per month, you can get cheaper hosting plans.

Content is king but so is keyword research. If your gonna go down the micro niche path, I wouldn't advise choosing keywords based on the content you have now. You need first to make sure you will be able to get those sites ranking relatively easily, and also that the term gets enough searches / month, and the clicks are worth decent money.

Of course that niche content may be useful if your not going down the micro niche path, I see a lot of people say you should make a site your passionate about, it's just sometimes they won't monetize as well..!

Content isn't a huge issue anyway, as there are many article rewriting software available, you can do it manually, and there are also outsourcing options there.

The idea of micro niche sites is interesting, but it's a lot of work to manage a bunch of sites. There are ways to automate things though. You may want to research "autoblogs" , they pull content from other sites(and can even rewrite it!) so you site always has fresh posts so google love it, and also it will have lots of keywords related to the niche.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hi O.P i currently own 3 websites doing affiliate marketing, when i started 2 months ago i didn't know anything but its getting easier now.
    At the moment i have signed up 7 people from my websites, im also promoting through facebook which is working miracles for me.
    I usually get between 20% to 30% of net losses for the lifetime of my clients.

One thing I wanted to get of my chest for a while now, slightly off topic,

Unemployed people complaining on the radio saying everyday they send off CVs , trying hard to get a job, but there's no work out there. If they spent their time infront of a computer, 9-5 5 days a week, researching, reading and implementing , they would be earning money within a few days.

They obviously haven't looked into the IM career path..!

Unemployed people complaining on the radio saying everyday they send off CVs , trying hard to get a job, but there's no work out there. If they spent their time infront of a computer, 9-5 5 days a week, researching, reading and implementing , they would be earning money within a few days.

Haha! That's EXACTLY why I want to do this, just a recent college grad and cant find a thing in my area. I would really love this to work, I know it wont be too soon, but even in a few months if I started to make money I'd be very happy.

Haha! That's EXACTLY why I want to do this, just a recent college grad and cant find a thing in my area. I would really love this to work, I know it wont be too soon, but even in a few months if I started to make money I'd be very happy.

Well you have the right attitude, and it's mine aswell, I am in final yr college and am trying to make money online so I have that while trying to get a job, either here or abroad. plus during college, any extra cash is great.

Then again - maybe it's good not many know about it as things would saturate a bit faster if everyone started doing them. Also you could monetize on it - create a subscription list , every week send your email list lessons on making money online (of course charge them) and include affiliate offers in the mail where appropriate. Advertise it in local newsletters, posters etc... a lot of people do this and have great success. Rent a room in a hotel or something , to Hold seminars as well where you give a presentation on the stuff, some people in america make a killing on them. Have yet to see this stuff in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

When I was 16 (4 years ago) I was making 2500+/month with google adsense so it is possible. Good luck, it takes dedication and a passion for your website to start earning decent money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Well for me at the moment addsense doesnt make sense to me as i make a lot more money by being a affiliate in a recession proof industry.
    I agree with other posters its hard work and i wont become a millionaire but if i can make €1,000 per week by this time next year i will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So has anybody tried refferal sites, such as Amazons affiliate program?

I was playing around with getting into this a while ago but never bothered. Alays thought Amazon links and the like would get more clicks than banner ads and adsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fufidus

I've recently lost my job and have tried researching online income over the last few weeks but still haven't a clue where to start. Where do i look for information and how can I develop a to do list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

fufidus wrote: »
    I've recently lost my job and have tried researching online income over the last few weeks but still haven't a clue where to start. Where do i look for information and how can I develop a to do list?

Google + Notepad

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

Its worth your while reading this guys blog
    http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/my-income-report-november-2010/

He publishes income reports the most recent showing $20k in a month. Whether their true or not is another thing but its interesting reading regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

All you have to do is set up a website or blog, ...and get good traffic....

Is that all!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3 limits21

No problem,

Yes I think free domains are a bad idea in terms of ranking, and yes there is a loss of credibility. They are useful if your just messing around, trying and learning new things, and if you are driving traffic from say twitter using shortened URLS, then it shouldn't be an issue, but if your gonna rely on search engines, then go for .com, .org, or .net (and in that order by my experience)

I would recommend payed hosting for micro niche sites, but free hosting may be a reasonable option. I the only FREE* hosting I ever used was 110mb and x10hosting, both are good, but not as reliable as what I'm using currently, and you have more control if you go with payed hosting. Anyway, it's cheap enough, I pay 10$ per month, you can get cheaper hosting plans.

Content is king but so is keyword research. If your gonna go down the micro niche path, I wouldn't advise choosing keywords based on the content you have now. You need first to make sure you will be able to get those sites ranking relatively easily, and also that the term gets enough searches / month, and the clicks are worth decent money.

Of course that niche content may be useful if your not going down the micro niche path, I see a lot of people say you should make a site your passionate about, it's just sometimes they won't monetize as well..!

Content isn't a huge issue anyway, as there are many article rewriting software available, you can do it manually, and there are also outsourcing options there.

The idea of micro niche sites is interesting, but it's a lot of work to manage a bunch of sites. There are ways to automate things though. You may want to research "autoblogs" , they pull content from other sites(and can even rewrite it!) so you site always has fresh posts so google love it, and also it will have lots of keywords related to the niche.

If you think free domains are a bad idea, how much would you generally pay for setting up a micro niche site using a paid domain? And has it taken a lot of effort to update and maintain?

Is it possible to get involved in affiliate marketing/google adsense without putting in a lot of money to begin with? I see some people on other threads paying hundreds for web designers etc. and this would put a lot of people off, including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

DoMyBooks wrote: »
    Its worth your while reading this guys blog
    http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/my-income-report-november-2010/

He publishes income reports the most recent showing $20k in a month. Whether their true or not is another thing but its interesting reading regardless.

Interesting read, I'm intrigued :cool:

limits21 wrote: »

If you think free domains are a bad idea, how much would you generally pay for setting up a micro niche site using a paid domain? And has it taken a lot of effort to update and maintain?

Is it possible to get involved in affiliate marketing/google adsense without putting in a lot of money to begin with? I see some people on other threads paying hundreds for web designers etc. and this would put a lot of people off, including myself.

I generally paid $10ish for a domain,(.com generally)(can be cheaper with other providers, and coupons), and hosting is 10euro per month(also can be cheaper). You can do the rest yourself, cost free, as in install wordpress, install useful plugins, write some content, get some backlinks and traffic. Although you can do this all yourself, for free ( excluding the fact that time = money!)

However, at times I paid for articles (about 1$ per article) and backlinks(these services can vary from about 10$ to 100s of $) I find if you do good keyword research, and competition is very low, that a social bookmarking to a few 100 sites will get you noticed by google and in the top 10. Such a service is 10$.

Of course its easy to waste money, which I did a lot of in the beginning but am starting to learn now.

So in summary, about 20-40$ once off per site, with hosting 10euro/month.

For updating, i generally just write my own short articles, perhaps inspired by articles on ezinearticles etc. I would never copy and paste, I reword heavily! And try to rewrite it in spinnable form so it can be spun a few times to generate more than 1 article!

So yeah you don't need 100s for a website developer! 100 or 200 euro would be useful to start off with to make a few sites, but it's not essential!

There are tools available to help automate things, such as facebook blaster, things for twitter to mass follow and unfollow, social bookmarking, article submission, profile backlinks creation, blog commenting, directory submissions... Some of these are very useful, some are free, some are pricey but can be acquired other ways, or you can generally find someone using the tools, offering services for a fixed price..

fufidus wrote: »

As someone mentioned, google is a good place to start. One site I frequent and find useful is blackhatworld.com . There is excellent information there and a great, helpful community, but there are some scammers there, and some say the site itself is malicious, although I have had only great experiences there. (I am QuietZorg there) That might be a good place to start, they have lots of info and tutorials on CPA offers, offline stuff, adsense, making money from downloads and torrents, dropshipping on ebay, and there is a service section where you can get backlinking packages, social bookmarking, social networking thingys etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 johntoc

Be very very careful when trying to make a few extra bucks online especially in the network marketing game. Every site needs some sort of advertising whether it being ppc cpc ppv seo etc. In affiliate marketing try to market a product that is in low demand. I know this may sound mad but advertising rates will be a fraction of what it would be if it would be a popular item. For the simple fact is that not as many affiliates will be marketing it like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Good discussion but Davsavage sitebanned for spamming his own articles on multiple threads. Carry on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

I use some adsense sites to experiment with strategies.

Youtube is a great way to make money from adsense. The only thing is that you need around 15k views to get approved (correct me if I'm wrong)

You should think about auto blogging. Using rss feeds to compile a blog then auto posting to twitter/facebook.

However, you will need lots of sites to make money on adsense.

I think the best way is to post a YouTube video everyday on a popular topic and hopefully get approved for the ad program.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

You should think about auto blogging. Using rss feeds to compile a blog then auto posting to twitter/facebook.

Stealing and publishing content, which then becomes duplicate content so it gets ignored by the search engines is a fairly pointless attempt at making money online.

Its all about value add, building a community, solving problems, establishing yourself as an authority and creating recurring visitors. For this you need to be unique, insightful and frankly more intelligent about your topic than your target market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

Stealing and publishing content, which then becomes duplicate content so it gets ignored by the search engines is a fairly pointless attempt at making money online.

I agree with your point on good quality unique content. However, using RSS is not stealing content. You do need to forget about Google rankings when using it. The auto blog strategy is used by many people on the social networks like Facebook and Twitter. Their posts are automatically pushed to FB etc.

It's not the best way to do things for a business blog, but if you intend using adsense it's one approach worth taking a look at.

For instance, a site that monitors football transfer rumours could use rss from newspapers, aggregate them and automatically post to their facebook wall. The value is in the aggregation of various reports.

It depends on the type of site you are running. Certain sites work well using this system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ten10twenty

Hi 141089,

Your post above is a really good guide line on how to get started.

I set up a site a couple of weeks ago using wordpress (think it was a tenner for the domain and £6/year for host with relichost).

I've put a few articles on it - approx 2 a week - what would the top 3 things i should do to get the site moving? I'm guessing SEO but not used to wordpress so not too sure how to go about it.

TIA,
    10-10-20

Hi 141089,

Your post above is a really good guide line on how to get started.

I set up a site a couple of weeks ago using wordpress (think it was a tenner for the domain and £6/year for host with relichost).

I've put a few articles on it - approx 2 a week - what would the top 3 things i should do to get the site moving? I'm guessing SEO but not used to wordpress so not too sure how to go about it.

TIA,
    10-10-20

Hi, sorry for such a delay, i didn't get any notification about your post, hope your site is doing well!

1)For wordpress I would suggest platinum SEO or all in one SEO , they are great for taking care of all of the important SEO tags. Also try to include <h1> <h2> etc. tags in your post body, they are very important. and Underline, bold and italicise(?) the keywords throughout the article body.

2)Make a facebook page, a twitter account, youtube, and put content on them. Add friends(can use a .csv of emails in facebook for speed) and videos(you can make a crappy vid with windows movie maker - its really easy). Update those from time to time. For very low competition keywords, I notice these profiles appear on the first page of google for some of my sites! Also it makes your site look more legit. You can include facebook, twitter etc. buttons on your site. You can also use a wordpress plugin such as sexybookmarks for more user interaction.

3) Be sure to install a simple theme which will increase the %CTR , I like adflex niche wordpress theme. If you still have time, you can build things like hubpages, ezine artices, blogger blogs, and so on, and have them on the topic of your site, and include links to your site on them! Also blog commenting, directory submission .......etc.

4) Profit!

Hi, sorry for such a delay, i didn't get any notification about your post, hope your site is doing well!

1)For wordpress I would suggest platinum SEO or all in one SEO , they are great for taking care of all of the important SEO tags. Also try to include <h1> <h2> etc. tags in your post body, they are very important. and Underline, bold and italicise(?) the keywords throughout the article body.

2)Make a facebook page, a twitter account, youtube, and put content on them. Add friends(can use a .csv of emails in facebook for speed) and videos(you can make a crappy vid with windows movie maker - its really easy). Update those from time to time. For very low competition keywords, I notice these profiles appear on the first page of google for some of my sites! Also it makes your site look more legit. You can include facebook, twitter etc. buttons on your site. You can also use a wordpress plugin such as sexybookmarks for more user interaction.

3) Be sure to install a simple theme which will increase the %CTR , I like adflex niche wordpress theme. If you still have time, you can build things like hubpages, ezine artices, blogger blogs, and so on, and have them on the topic of your site, and include links to your site on them! Also blog commenting, directory submission .......etc.

4) Profit!

Hi 141089,

I have registered a few domains, some for adsence and some for affiliate products. Been looking for an adsence wordpress theme for a while and the adflex niche wordpress theme would be perfect so thanks for that!

With regards to off site SEO for a niche site which method do think works best, I know it's trial and error. The link-wheel method seems to be pretty powerful but requires a fair bit of time and effort. Seems to be a lot of backlink services out there for a small outlay, whats your opinion on this?

Obviously 20k back-links for a niche site that gets searched 3k a month would probably get you sand boxed and not a good idea. :confused:

Thanks..

theshamu wrote: »
    Hi 141089,

I have registered a few domains, some for adsence and some for affiliate products. Been looking for an adsence wordpress theme for a while and the adflex niche wordpress theme would be perfect so thanks for that!

Its a great theme, from my experience it works roughly as well as people claim the xfactor & clickbump themes work, it's free, really customizable, and not too ugly!
    theshamu wrote: »
    With regards to off site SEO for a niche site which method do think works best, I know it's trial and error. The link-wheel method seems to be pretty powerful but requires a fair bit of time and effort. Seems to be a lot of backlink services out there for a small outlay, whats your opinion on this?

Obviously 20k back-links for a niche site that gets searched 3k a month would probably get you sand boxed and not a good idea. :confused:

Thanks..

I have gotten some sites sandboxed due to ****or blasts. They were only a few months old, i was stupid, whatever. But they are back now. Which is good. Anyway I would definately say stay away from blasting your main site with scrapebox and ****or. It may be an idea to make solid backlinks yourself, such as by article submissions, making blogger blogs etc etc. and then blast them.

What I do is get 300 social bookmarks for 10$ so the site is indexed quickly. Then I just make a few article submissions , hub pages etc and some blog comments, and that generally works well for me provided the competition is quite weak.

From what i see from others, google are starting to cop on to linkwheels, but if you have one made which is quite random, then that can only be a good thing...

Sorry I dont have a concrete answer for this, and I am not sure if one exists! I will PM you later with some useful tools I use, which you may not have come accross yet!:)

• Advertisement

Sorry I dont have a concrete answer for this, and I am not sure if one exists! I will PM you later with some useful tools I use, which you may not have come accross yet!:)

Thanks, that would be great and MUCH appreciated! :D

Advertisement