Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24h weather on TV

Options
  • 12-12-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

do you think ireland would benefit from a 24h weather channel on TV, like canada's the weather network or america's the weather channel?

or has the internet taken over?

i personally would love to see a dedicated weather channel here. i'd love to see more detailed weather maps also... showing jet streams, fronts, isobars etc. not just a map of the country with a sun or cloud plotted on it.

there could also be segments for climatology specials, traffic reports, overseas weather, weather news stories, video & photograph footage taken from joe soap.......

do you think people would watch it on telly? thoughts?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

do you think ireland would benefit from a 24h weather channel on TV, like canada's the weather network or america's the weather channel?

i personally would love to see a dedicated weather channel here. i'd love to see more detailed weather maps also... showing jet streams, fronts, isobars etc. not just a map of the country with a sun or cloud plotted on it.

there could also be segments for climatology specials, traffic reports, overseas weather, weather news stories, video & photograph footage taken from joe soap.......

If you did it on the cheap and sold it through to train stations/airports/etc., it might be financially doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

In the early days of satellite tv we had the weather channel, would love a weather channel, all the channels on sky - a lot of crap ones and no dedicated weather channel, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I remember being in Alameda (near San Francisco) in late 70's and they had what they called a Weather Channel - it was broadcast on one of those new-fangled UHF frequencies - probably based in U.C. Berkeley - consisted of a monochrome camera panning back and forth from (I think) a manometer, a barometer and a clock - probably stopping for 5 seconds on each.

I had a giggle and told them about being able to look this stuff up on Teletext - they looked at me like I had two heads.

(This was a while before the real "Weather Channel" came along...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A European-wide channel, yes, a UK-IRL one, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

red button on sky news gives you basically a weather channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i don't have sky :D or ntl for that matter LOL
    good aul aerial! til 2012 that is...

well if they didn't do a 24h channel on telly for the irish market, then i'd love to see more detailed maps on tv. i think the weather segments are too rushed on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Javiero

I think it would be a good idea. It could be funded by the taxpayer/license funding and so we might actually get some value....lol

Seriously though. It works well in the likes of Canada and the US. I definitely think it would be worth a trial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

When I was in Australia they had a weather channel and it was excellent. It was exactly as you described above: there were detailed national and regional reports, updates on rainfall totals and reservoir capacity etc (drought a major issue in areas over there) and when winter came updates on snow reports and ski reports. Between all of this there were half-hour programmes on climate change, weather events, and other weather-related documentaries and programmes.

I think it could definitely work here although Ireland is probably too small a market for the channel to be run properly. It would be better if it were a UK and Ireland one.

compsys wrote: »
    I think it could definitely work here although Ireland is probably too small a market for the channel to be run properly. It would be better if it were a UK and Ireland one.

yea i take your point and i thought about that also. but you would have to have sections that catered to irish market or UK market only depending on where you were viewing from for issues like traffic reports and whatnot.
    i really think it would be beneficial.
    for an example, imagine if you are eating breakfast and wondering what it was like in the city (say you worked in city centre but lived outside the county)
    you could see live traffic views (the cameras are already there like - i know dub city council website has static shots but i'm sure you could see live action from them also) and know what the weather was like where you were heading.
    would also love to see climatology specials too....

The RTÉ digital terrestial service already has a 24 hour, news & weather service.
    Well sort of, it just loops the last news & weather broadcast. with streaming headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Polish tv has one and from what I have seen of it it's pretty good. Detailed forecasts and features on how they do forecasting and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'd say that we just don't get enough weather here to justify a dedicated channel.

gbee wrote: »
    I'd say that we just don't get enough weather here to justify a dedicated channel.

lol you mean extreme weather?
    it's not for entertainment purposes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think a Weather Channel for Ireland and the UK would be a great Idea.

Bring it on.

There are more stupid channels like the shopping channel.

It could be pilotted at night on some station like TG4 or TV3 though think theyr too rih for that now with their Renault Meganes.

Could have programmes like (this is not the night schedule but...)

7am Weather AM - A look at the weather in Ireland and the UK with News from locations around the world.

9am Extreme Weather - Ireland

930am Extreme Weather - UK

10am - 12am Weather Centre (like Sky Sports News Centre) with radars temperatures etc for Europe and reports from different areas about natural growth, birds, animal behaviours to weather etc.

12am -2pm Weather Bulletins 8 x 15mins

2pm - Afternoon Weathergazers.
    A look at todays weather in Ireland and the UK with viewers ringing in with questions and stories

Hey im tired but this is just a sample of what Id do.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I remember being in Alameda (near San Francisco) in late 70's and they had what they called a Weather Channel - it was broadcast on one of those new-fangled UHF frequencies - probably based in U.C. Berkeley - consisted of a monochrome camera panning back and forth from (I think) a manometer, a barometer and a clock - probably stopping for 5 seconds on each.

I had a giggle and told them about being able to look this stuff up on Teletext - they looked at me like I had two heads.

(This was a while before the real "Weather Channel" came along...)

Did you ever have a beer in the Starry Plough in Berkeley? My sis worked behind the bar there in the late 70's early 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Came across this and remembered this thread, thinking some of you might be interested in it. It's a streaming broadcast of The Weather Channel in the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

pauldry wrote: »
    I think a Weather Channel for Ireland and the UK would be a great Idea.

Bring it on.

There are more stupid channels like the shopping channel.

It could be pilotted at night on some station like TG4 or TV3 though think theyr too rih for that now with their Renault Meganes.

Could have programmes like (this is not the night schedule but...)

7am Weather AM - A look at the weather in Ireland and the UK with News from locations around the world.

9am Extreme Weather - Ireland

930am Extreme Weather - UK

10am - 12am Weather Centre (like Sky Sports News Centre) with radars temperatures etc for Europe and reports from different areas about natural growth, birds, animal behaviours to weather etc.

12am -2pm Weather Bulletins 8 x 15mins

2pm - Afternoon Weathergazers.
    A look at todays weather in Ireland and the UK with viewers ringing in with questions and stories

Hey im tired but this is just a sample of what Id do.:D

In all likelihood it wouldn't be live so no ringing in, and would probably be a looped forecast and rainfall radar over and over and over . .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I prefer this type of tv forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I like it and also a 24 hour weather station on the radio

Advertisement