Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Amp Fuse Anyone?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Anyone know where I'd get a domestic 1 amp fuse around Cork City Centre?

I never knew they were so hard to find!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

fattestman wrote: »
    Anyone know where I'd get a domestic 1 amp fuse around Cork City Centre?

I never knew they were so had to find!!

Maplin electronics in Blackpool business park would be a good place to try. Though why don't you just use a 3 amp fuse? I don't think these things usually are so precise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

wispyman wrote: »
    Though why don't you just use a 3 amp fuse? I don't think these things usually are so precise.

Because the adaptor into which I want to put the fuse says, "1 AMP 250V~ AC ONLY". I'm afraid if I use anything else something awful would happen.

I might create a new black hole or something, I don't know!!!! (worse again, my electric toothbrush might break)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

If its the dinky 20mm type, its a good idea to get an antisurge (T) fuse.
    Maplin GL59P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If it's the 1A fuse for a toothbrush/shaver 2-pin adaptor, then just go to Dwyers up by the airport roundabout. They've an absolutely vast range of domestic electrical accessories, even some of the more obscure stuff e.g. 2 pin 16Amp side-earthed European style plugs (for the few houses that are still wired with them) etc.

Maplin's is very pricy for that kind of simple electrical gear.

1-amp-fuse-thumb.gif

They're some kind of odd British Standard fuse that is only used in shaver adaptors. They're like a mini-version of the fuse that's in normal Irish/UK plugs. They're not the ones you find in electronic equipment.

Solair wrote: »
    If it's the 1A fuse for a toothbrush/shaver 2-pin adaptor, then just go to Dwyers up by the airport roundabout. They've an absolutely vast range of domestic electrical accessories, even some of the more obscure stuff e.g. 2 pin 16Amp side-earthed European style plugs (for the few houses that are still wired with them) etc.

Maplin's is very pricy for that kind of simple electrical gear.

1-amp-fuse-thumb.gif

They're some kind of odd British Standard fuse that is only used in shaver adaptors. They're like a mini-version of the fuse that's in normal Irish/UK plugs. They're not the ones you find in electronic equipment.

Great, I'll give O'Dwyer's a go. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

macgyver advocated putting a chewing gum wrapper around the old fuse. im more the 6mm bolt school of thought.

[/awful advice]

tesco/centra etc sell them. on those stands of random stuff in green packs. Cardinal or something.. Cant remember but im sure it begins with C

you dont actually need a specific 1a fuse to make it work. any will do, just might not be massively safe IF something goes wrong. 2-3a would be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The 1amp fuse is actually physically smaller (about half the size) of a standard fuse that you'd find in a plug i.e. the normal 3Amp or 13Amp ones. You can't replace it with something else as they won't physically fit.

Tesco doesn't sell them (they only sell the standard plug fuses) but you can pick them up in most hardware shops. Also, you could try somewhere like Fitzgerald's on Grand Parade if you're in town, that's the kind of stuff they tend to have in a drawer somewhere.

DO NOT bypass the fuse with anything else. It creates a very serious fire hazard. Irish and British wiring is different to European or US wiring. We often use very heavy circuits 20amp or 32amp to feed sockets. The plug fuse is designed to protect the appliance flex. It's not an optional obsessive safety freak extra.

On the continent they use 10amp or 16A circuits to feed sockets and do not use fused plugs as the circuit can't feed enough power to cause a fire (well hopefully not anyway!)

Chewing gum wrapper? 6mm bolts? Fitzgerald's?

I think, to avoid myself and the missus getting fried, I'll go for the third option! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

tesco indeed wont sell 20mm fuses but OP only said "a domestic 1 amp fuse". id take that as a fuse for a bs1363 plug. as in a standard domestic plug, rather than a two prong shaver plug.

Im open to correction on the appliance in question of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

im sure they sell these in b&q, i was changing the fuse in a switch on a lamp and my dad said a 1amp fuse would be impossible to find:confused:,
    but they had them in packs of 2 or 3,
    i did try dwyers but they were out of stock, although i think they normally stock them

• Advertisement

mawk wrote: »
    tesco indeed wont sell 20mm fuses but OP only said "a domestic 1 amp fuse". id take that as a fuse for a bs1363 plug. as in a standard domestic plug, rather than a two prong shaver plug.

I said "domestic" originally to differentiate it from an auto fuse (those being the only two "families" of fuse I new existes - I know better now)

What the fuse is for is an adaptor that my two-pin toothbrush plugs into for charging.

mawk wrote: »

I said "domestic" originally to differentiate it from an auto fuse (those being the only two "families" of fuse I new existes - I know better now)

What the fuse is for is an adaptor that my two-pin toothbrush plugs into for charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Gum wrapper will work but it's not advised as the fault that blew the first fuse may still be there. I've seen pennies and bolts used for fuses:eek:

Most electrical wholesalers should stock these fuses, try EWL, MCK, Kellihers or Eastern Electrical but none of these places are City Centre. If anyone is stuck for a fuse after 6pm you could try OCallaghans Garage in Ballyvolane, they stock all sort of strange stuff

For the record ( and the benefit of anyone else who stumbles by this thread), Sheehan's Hardware on North Main Street (cinema end) keep these fuses in stock.

Thanks very much for all your help guys.

Advertisement