Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French Exchange Help

• 11-12-2010 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I want to do a French exchange this summer, preferable 2 months or more. Can anyone advise: how to organise (website etc), places to consider going and anything else you can think of.

My main problem is actually finding a family or organisation that will allow me to go to France.

P.S. my preferance is for me to live with a family but not for one of their children to come over to Ireland ( I don't have the time to with Gaeltacht and sport commitments).

This exchange is vital for me as I need to be very competent in French for my college course!

Thanks for any advice, links etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Hmmm... think you might have a bit of trouble. CLUE: EXCHANGE!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I did two french exchanges in secondary school but it was organised through the school. They made a link with a french lycée, and paired us up with a frenchie. We visited them in January and they came back in March/April. AFAIK that's the way most people do exchanges etc, there is no french equivalent of the Gaeltacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hkeane

Alliance Francais is a good organisation. A mate and I went to France and stayed with a family in Bordeaux. We didn't go to a french school so to sepak but to a language course specifically for learning french aka. like the Gaeltacht. It was a more adult enviroment, the responsibility for you to make the most out of the classes falls on you, if you don't turn up they don't care. It's a good experience and I would proberly find myself doing it again to keep up my French.

Although we made friends with the lad whose gaff we were staying in there is no agreement or obligation for you to put him up here as it's not an exchange. You simply pay for your room, breakfast and dinner.

When looking it up type in: Alliance Francais Bordeaux (or another French city). The website og the alliancefr.org is quite bad in my opinion.
    There are also Gaeltacht like courses you can do in French or German as far as I know. I'll try find a link. I think your best bet is to go to France though as you are constantly learning (ie. ordering food, talking to locals)

Good luck, Hope I was of some help.

P.s May I be as bold to ask what course you are doing? I've been considering doing French in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

appleb wrote: »
    Hmmm... think you might have a bit of trouble. CLUE: EXCHANGE!!!

A bit harsh :cool: Plenty of the Spanish kids who come over in the Summer don't do a reciprocal exchange yet we still call them the 'exchange' students. Alliance Francaise will point the OP in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

OP have you considered applying to work in France?
    Google Disneyland Paris Casting, you can work there for at least 2 months, I did it and my French came on in leaps and bounds, made a nice bit of money while I was there too. Something to consider if you don't want to return the favour :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement