Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Exchange Help

Options
  • 11-12-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I want to do a French exchange this summer, preferable 2 months or more. Can anyone advise: how to organise (website etc), places to consider going and anything else you can think of.

My main problem is actually finding a family or organisation that will allow me to go to France.

P.S. my preferance is for me to live with a family but not for one of their children to come over to Ireland ( I don't have the time to with Gaeltacht and sport commitments).

Thanks for any advice, links etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

Hey WagonWheelKid (loving that name btw)

I didn't do an exchange while at school. If you're looking for an au pairing thing, I would say beware of families who want you to be their slave for free board. You won't have any free time. I have a good few friends who did this recently and had awful experiences.

On the where question: well it depends what kind of experience you're looking for. And also your age etc. There's an organisation called WWOOF that hosts people who want to get involved in organic farming while abroad and gaining valuable cultural and language experience. http://www.wwoof.fr/ I'm sure there are sites specifically aimed at Leaving Cert students (which I'm guessing you are one). I can say that I lived in Nice for a year and it and its environs are great place to be in the summer.

Bonne chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You could try something like this, but I'm not sure if it's as long as you're looking for...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

http://www.glt.ie/

These came into my school last year, afaik they offered what you want - an exchange which involves you going over but not having to take anyone in return.

Best of luck with trying to find a suitable programme :).

Advertisement