Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling accident - ambulance arrives - what happens to the bike?

Options
  • 11-12-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

I haven't just been in an accident or anything, I'm just curious about something.

If I was in an accident and had to be taken away in an ambulance, what do the Gardai do with my bike? Does it get left on the road side? This is a big concern of mine about being in an accident.

I had a minor accident a couple of years ago, where I got hit by a car turning right into a yellow box without checking the cycle lane. I ended up having to go to hospital but I went there by taxi after I had my OH come to collect my bike. Obviously in a serious accident, this would not be possible.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If the police are on scene, they will probably take your bike. They did for my other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Raam wrote: »
    If the police are on scene, they will probably take your bike. They did for my other half.

Ah thanks, I had hoped that might be the case.

Sorry to hear about your other half, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Raam wrote: »

ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

In the case of my brother who wasn't really conscious after his the Gardai took the bike and kept it in the local station.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When I had an accident last year someone who stopped kindly took my bike and left his contact details in my rucsack (although I was conscious at the scene, I have no recollection of this - it's only his note that alerted me)

When I came across an accident a couple of months ago, although the Guards turned up, I took the bike, and made sure the cyclist had my contact details (I took his mobile number at the same time). I subsequently met up with him at the bike shop where he had it looked at (although I suspect it was a write-off anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

cosmic wrote: »
    I had a minor accident a couple of years ago, where I got hit by a car turning right into a yellow box without checking the cycle lane.

That scenario describes the closest shave I ever had. I always stop and look both ways emerging into the yellow box now.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That scenario describes the closest shave I ever had. I always stop and look both ways emerging into the yellow box now.

I know, I was really nervous with yellow boxes for a long time after that. Which is a shame because I'd been cycling for many years prior to that without any kind of nerves. Ah, I'm the wiser for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My brother had an accident going to school a good few years ago, pulled out infront of a car, broke leg, ambulance came, carried off, the last he saw of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jsoc

I'n my case one of the ambulance guys locked it to a nearby post and gave me back the key. My father pick the bike up later in the day....funny in a situation like that your thinking is as much about the welfare of the bike as your own injury....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

jsoc wrote: »
    I'n my case one of the ambulance guys locked it to a nearby post and gave me back the key. My father pick the bike up later in the day....funny in a situation like that your thinking is as much about the welfare of the bike as your own injury....

That's the cyclist mentality or you :rolleyes:

I had a bad one in 2005 in a race. The ambulance didn't even think about the bike a mate took it home. When I came around the bike was my second question (after asking where my teeth were ;)).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I came off a motorbike a few years ago, ambulance came, the fcukers wanted to cut my brand new leather jacket off me. Lucky I was concious enough to convince them to remove it carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

heard of an incident where gurriers identified themselves as friends of the injured party and were entrusted with the bike

My brother had an accident going to school a good few years ago, pulled out infront of a car, broke leg, ambulance came, carried off, the last he saw of the bike.
    uberwolf wrote: »
    heard of an incident where gurriers identified themselves as friends of the injured party and were entrusted with the bike

:( This is what I'd be afraid of

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

My case was a mix of all that. A passer-by took the bike and left me a note in my pocket with his phone. I was unconscious when he did but a member of the ambulance knew it and told me when I emerged. Then I found out that the Gardaí visited him to collect the bike just after the accident, which then remained stored at the Garda station. Apparently, they needed to see it as part of their investigation (!) (I would guess they checked if the bike was in proper state of repair).

And if you're wondering, yes I'm fine (though this left me bit over 2 months off cycling, and it was back to square one in terms of training when I resumed).

Advertisement