Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many words?

Options
  • 11-12-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I've been writing profusly for a few weeks now. I have no plot as such, I just write a line and wonder what's going to happen next. I'm usually 5 or 6 sentences ahead of myself as my typing is slow. I'm not worried about grammer or spelling - this can be sorted later. When I'm on a roll I really enjoy it. Other times I dry up and start another chapter. And of course there are times when nothing happens at all.

So what I have now is a lot of almost related chapters and bits of chapters, and I think I should be trying to join them all up. About 12,000 words or so.

Can someone tell me;
    How many words are there in a novel.
    How many words per page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

This varies, but as a general rule, a full length commercial novel is around 80,000-100,000 words, while Young Adult novels tend to start at 50,000. It's very hard to sell anything over 100,000 words for a first novel. Even JK Rowling kept the word count down on her first couple of books.

A typical page of double spaced type averages around 250 words per page.

Advertisement