Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruagh Road/Kilakee Road - passable?

Options
  • 11-12-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what sort of condition this road is in at the moment? Thinkin of headin up that way tomorrow on the road bike for a hill test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

I was up there last Saturday but that was with 32C cyclocross tyres. Given the amount of thaw we've had over the past couple of days, I'd say it should be fine as long as there isn't a freeze tonight which freezes all the melted water.

I'm hoping to head up again late tomorrow morning and to have a look at Military Road (I could only cycle 2km of it last Saturday before I had to turn back and head for Glencullen along Pine Forest Road).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Grimpeur

Was up there on Thursday and you'll certainly have no problem as far as the car park, point B on your map.
    The road to the left was completely impassable from there on and I doubt it's cleared now, even allowing for the thaw over the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

Was up there today, pretty snowbound on both sides but passable up to the stone bridge. Had planned on heading towards Sally Gap to see how far we could get, had to turn back after about 1k beyond the bridge as the black ice floes across the road were lethal. Wheels kept spinning out on the climb.

We decided to head back down and try Pine Forest Road but the same story. No point risking body and machine, have a whole year of cycling to look forward to in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Was up there today, pretty snowbound on both sides but passable up to the stone bridge. Had planned on heading towards Sally Gap to see how far we could get, had to turn back after about 1k beyond the bridge as the black ice floes across the road were lethal. Wheels kept spinning out on the climb.

Same here, got as far as the house on the left before the entrance to Cruagh wood, then fell off. Even walking across the road was an ordeal. Decided not to risk it any further and gingerly made me way back down. Couple of guys were headin up as I was going down, one in a grey/brown jacket & another in blue. Back to the turbo for a while longer I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

Same here, got as far as the house on the left before the entrance to Cruagh wood, then fell off. Even walking across the road was an ordeal. Decided not to risk it any further and gingerly made me way back down. Couple of guys were headin up as I was going down, one in a grey/brown jacket & another in blue. Back to the turbo for a while longer I suppose.

lol! that was us man... we might have you in one of our photos :P

My friend filmed the descent back down, will post a linky here once he gets it uploaded

• Advertisement
Advertisement