Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is my fuel consumption high on my car?

• 11-12-2010 4:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

hi everyone,

driving: ford focus zetec connection 07

engine: 1.6 petrol

mileage; 83,000km

alloys are 18in, bigger than original 17inch

car last service 8,000km ago, with low fuel consumption oil

currently my average fuel meter reads 9.8L/100km

it usually varies from 9.4L/100km on journeys to 9.8L/100km in town and traffic,

i just think this average is very high for a 1.6petrol which works out to be about 24MPG, the stated average should be about 41MPG for this car.

any one else have this problem? with high fuel average?

am i missing something that im not aware of, something to service check?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

blueburd wrote: »
    hi everyone,

driving: ford focus zetec connection 07

currently my average fuel meter reads 9.8L/100km

it usually varies from 9.4L/100km on journeys to 9.8L/100km in town and traffic,

i just think this average is very high for a 1.6petrol which works out to be about 24MPG, the stated average should be about 41MPG for this car.

am i missing something that im not aware of, something to service check?

thanks.
    Everything seems to be fine and your fuel consumption figures look OK for the conditions you are driving in. The other factor is the cold weather, which doesn't help with fuel economy.
    Take your car for a long, gentle spin through the N-roads and the fuel consumption will drop to 6.3 - 7l/100km ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Y
    ....currently my average fuel meter reads 9.8L/100km....

.....i just think this average is very high for a 1.6petrol which works out to be about 24MPG, the stated average should be about 41MPG for this car
    It's not as bad as you thought OP. You appear to have converted L/100km to miles per US gallon rather than imperial (UK) gallons.

9.8L/100km = 24 mpg(US) = 29 mpg(UK)
    (US gallon = 3.79L and UK gallon = 4.55L)

Still though, 29mpg sounds low. While it's hard to compare different cars, my '02 1.8L petrol Mondeo only dips below 30mpg when i drive very "aggressively".

Two things you might check
    1. I know you said it's been serviced but check your oil.
    2. you upgraded from 17" to 18" tyres. Does the odometer/speedometer have to be modified to reflect this?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Your personal driving style can affect Your fuel consumption and this can be more evident when driving in the city. Gentle acceleration and deceleration.

Eg:Speeding up past a car to get to a red light first and then using harsh braking to come to a stop, Your not gaining anything except less MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,110 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The average fuel consumption readout on the trip computer in the Focus can be switched from mpg to l/km. At least it could on the 05 one I had a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 blueburd

really?

how can you switch it to MPH on the clock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jesh1

really?

I'd use my finger.........sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

really?

It would be shown in the car manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Go down to the settings option on the display. It's definitely in there alright...then you use your finger:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

C4Kid wrote: »
    Your personal driving style can affect Your fuel consumption and this can be more evident when driving in the city. Gentle acceleration and deceleration.

Eg:Speeding up past a car to get to a red light first and then using harsh braking to come to a stop, Your not gaining anything except less MPG.

This is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I drive a 1.8 mazda6 and get 38-40 mpg in normal driving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement