Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Recording Studio where I can edit my own!!

Options
  • 10-12-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm looking for a recording studio (digital I suppose) where I can record in good quality and where the recorded drum tracks , vocals and instruments in good quality and where they can be given to me to edit myself. Im a noob to studio recording and maybe many offer this already.
    Does anyone know of a studio in Ireland where this is possible? Or can you offer any advice?
    Thanks in advance,
    Damien

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

hey damien,

have a look at our place here www.facebook.com/BaseRecordingStudios

if you're interested then drop me a message here and ill get you some samples of our work.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭petermaher

Have a look at www.middlewalk.com

Cheers, Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Platinum Recording

Hi Damien,

Most studios would not have a problem with allowing raw tracks that you record to be taken away to be edited at home or even another studio.

My advise is to talk to as many studios as you can. Talk on the phone, over email or even better visit as many as you can. That way you will be able to get a feel for the studio, how it works and you will be able to make an informed decision on which one is right for your project.

Check out our website and give us a call,

www.platinum-recording.com

Paul

petermaher wrote: »
    Have a look at www.middlewalk.com

Cheers, Peter.

very slick set up. which aws is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

It's the AWS 900+, acoustics by Munro, Gear supplied by us.

Middlewalk was where we had our Studio Show a while ago with Rupert Cobb who recorded the Live at Abbey Road series.

I think your suggested Modus Operandi is the norm rather that the exception where a band tracks in a 'big' studio and take it away to a smaller studio (or to the bedroom) to edit, overdub or program.

Which brings me to my oft repeated point that a commercial studios needs to have rooms that separate it from the bedroom boys otherwise what's the reason to book ?

• Advertisement

Actually looking at Peter's website there those pics were taken during our show as that's an Audient Zen on the outboard rack !

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭DJ Feego

Thanks guys... solid advice. I'm sending emails to all that get in touch.
    Keep'm coming!
    Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

and another one for you to check: http://shaysstudio.ie/
    cheers.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Which brings me to my oft repeated point that a commercial studios needs to have rooms that separate it from the bedroom boys otherwise what's the reason to book ?

reason? experienced engineers who know how to record thru good equipment. a nice selection of quality outboard can definitly bring heads in.

you'd have to agree that there are very very few studios around with really good rooms. the rest of us rely on decent rooms but learn how to get the best out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aidocore

Hey DJ Feego. My name is Aidan and I work in Poppyhill Recording Studios in Kildare. Only 30 Mins from Dublin. Check out our facebook page here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Poppyhill-Recording-Studio/163004653734712?ref=ts

We have a mixing suite that is ideal for this kind of work, with top notch outboard gear,Genelec 1030A 2 Way Active Monitors with 1092A Subwoofer,

If interested you can message us there on Facebook or call 045 862194

Cheers

Aido

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

DJ Feego wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm looking for a recording studio (digital I suppose) where I can record in good quality and where the recorded drum tracks , vocals and instruments in good quality and where they can be given to me to edit myself. Im a noob to studio recording and maybe many offer this already.
    Does anyone know of a studio in Ireland where this is possible? Or can you offer any advice?
    Thanks in advance,
    Damien

Any studio would do that! Why would you edit them yourself when the guys in the studio would do a better job(more than likely)

Sacred_git wrote: »
    Any studio would do that! Why would you edit them yourself when the guys in the studio would do a better job(more than likely)

I have been editing for years now. Bands have gotten me to produce and edit their tracks and I'm confident that I'd do a good job. I don't have the space, time or money to invest in a big recording rig though. My home recordings don't sound too bad but I am left with a hiss on all tracks.. you know how it is!

Ultimately though, the cost of getting someone to edit tracks together can be a lot. You hear the horror stories of engineers taking as long to edit the song as it took to record them and I can't afford that! Hense the thread!

you'd have to agree that there are very very few studios around with really good rooms. the rest of us rely on decent rooms but learn how to get the best out of them.

I do agree.

But in an age when good gear is readily available I feel that one needs an extra selling point.

The country is wedged with 200/300 Euro a day studios a lot of which don't produce quality much superior than a bedroom guy gets.

I know, I see it everyday around the country.

It's the guys who step out of that circle who do well - the rest just plod along.

It's a repeating pattern both here and in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭petermaher

DJ Feego wrote: »
    You hear the horror stories of engineers taking as long to edit the song as it took to record them and I can't afford that! Hense the thread!

Hardly horror stories, In my experience it takes far longer to edit a song these days(especially drums/dropping samples etc....if done properly that is)than it does to record the thing in the first place.

Bring back the days when musicians could actually play in tune, in time and with the kind of performance I want to listen to in 20 years.

It always goes back to the argument of, how good is "good"? how in tune is "in tune" how perfect is "perfect"? All these elements(and more) contribute to a recorded performance we all want to listen to year after year(like shakin' stevens, "merry xmas everyone"haha;))
    Anyway, seriously, the point being, how do you know what's "good", "in tune" or "perfect" if you've never heard them before? Like when a drummer comes in with a pearl export kit and wonders why it doesn't sound like his fav hifi recording, or a guitar player comes in and open tunes his elec or acoustic guitars to his tuner and thinks he must be in tune and his €1000 euro takamine is a top of the range guitar.

There are so many arguments on this forum regarding what constitutes a good recording. First and foremost the listener must be able to relate to or be moved by the performance of the song in question, what's the point in recording it otherwise? After that it's down to sound quality and production etc.....

Either way it'll still take far longer to edit than to record in order to achieve the production/sound quality of the best recordings around these days.

Hardly horror stories, In my experience it takes far longer to edit a song these days(especially drums/dropping samples etc....if done properly that is)than it does to record the thing in the first place.

Bring back the days when musicians could actually play in tune, in time and with the kind of performance I want to listen to in 20 years.

It always goes back to the argument of, how good is "good"? how in tune is "in tune" how perfect is "perfect"? All these elements(and more) contribute to a recorded performance we all want to listen to year after year(like shakin' stevens, "merry xmas everyone"haha;))
    Anyway, seriously, the point being, how do you know what's "good", "in tune" or "perfect" if you've never heard them before? Like when a drummer comes in with a pearl export kit and wonders why it doesn't sound like his fav hifi recording, or a guitar player comes in and open tunes his elec or acoustic guitars to his tuner and thinks he must be in tune and his €1000 euro takamine is a top of the range guitar.

There are so many arguments on this forum regarding what constitutes a good recording. First and foremost the listener must be able to relate to or be moved by the performance of the song in question, what's the point in recording it otherwise? After that it's down to sound quality and production etc.....

Either way it'll still take far longer to edit than to record in order to achieve the production/sound quality of the best recordings around these days.

BIG +1

Solid Advice in general mate. The Horror Stories thing was just in reference to the amount of money I can pay.
    Two of the three of us are unemployed so I'm putting up a months wages myself. It would be great to be able to spend a week in the studio but its not viable for me and the thoughts of having to spend money on what I am confident that I could do a good job on myself is horrifying! I'll post up links to the songs at the end of January to see what you all think!

Thanks for the great advice so far. Keep it coming!

Any other studios that can offer this service get in touch and I'll be in contact.

All the best,
    Damien

also,

keep in mind that unless you can mix to quality standards you may aswell be burning your hard earned notes.

if thats the case i would personally advise waiting and saving a bit more cash and getting it done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Hi,
    Another one to consider Bluebird Studios
    PM Sent.- details
    Thanks
    -Declan

Advertisement